Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 01:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

First off it wasn't written in ancient Hebrew. It was written in Aramaic which is what Hebrew grew out of.

If you believe in Bible Scripture literally then you have to follow all of this:

Leviticus 26:29 'Further, you will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters you will eat.

2 Kings 6:28 And the king said to her, "What is the matter with you?" And she answered, "This woman said to me, 'Give your son that we may eat him today, and we will eat my son tomorrow.'

2 Kings 6:29 "So we boiled my son and ate him; and I said to her on the next day, 'Give your son, that we may eat him'; but she has hidden her son."

Jeremiah 19:9 "I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they will eat one another's flesh in the siege and in the distress with which their enemies and those who seek their life will distress them."'

Lamentations 2:20 See, O LORD, and look! With whom have You dealt thus? Should women eat their offspring, The little ones who were born healthy? Should priest and prophet be slain In the sanctuary of the Lord?

Lamentations 4:10 The hands of compassionate women Boiled their own children; They became food for them Because of the destruction of the daughter of my people.

And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee:

Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die."

Leviticus 20:10 "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."

Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery. —Luke 16:18

• When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, in singleness of heart, as you obey Christ; not only while being watched, and in order to please them, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. (Eph. 6:5-6)

Tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to talk back, not to pilfer, but to show complete and perfect fidelity, so that in everything they may be an ornament to the doctrine of God our Savior. (Titus 2:9-10)

Slaves, accept the authority of your masters with all deference, not only those who are kind and gentle but also those who are harsh. For it is a credit to you if, being aware of God, you endure pain while suffering unjustly. If you endure when you are beaten for doing wrong, what credit is that? But if you endure when you do right and suffer for it, you have God's approval. (1Pet. 2:18-29)

DEUTERONOMY 22:13-21
If it is discovered that a bride is not a virgin, the Bible demands that she be executed by stoning immediately.
• DEUTERONOMY 22:22
If a married person has sex with someone else's husband or wife, the Bible commands that both adulterers be stoned to death.
• MARK 10:1-12
Divorce is strictly forbidden in both Testaments, as is remarriage of anyone who has been divorced.
• LEVITICUS 18:19
The Bible forbids a married couple from having sexual intercourse during a woman's period. If they disobey, both shall be executed.
• MARK 12:18-27
If a man dies childless, his widow is ordered by biblical law to have intercourse with each of his brothers in turn until she bears her deceased husband a male heir.
• DEUTERONOMY 25:11-12
If a man gets into a fight with another man and his wife seeks to rescue her husband by grabbing the enemy's genitals, her hand shall be cut off and no pity shall be shown her.
“He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
The Holy Spirit does not speak NEW truth. This was a clearification of what Falwell was miss-interpretation. I assume the man was homosexual. Having an homosexual join your church when the Word is against homosexuality is like letting a murderer - who is currently still commiting the crimes - become a police officer. If the person has repented of his sins and has commited to following the right path (but still sins sometimes, as we ALL do) that is different.

Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 01:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
lol....speaking logically to a deluded human being is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
then don't prevent their quality of life by denying privileges, rights, conveniences, tax evasion (through marriage) and service to country.

let them sin, educate them about God if they'll listen. but if their way of life is not infringing on your rights, allow them the free will god has instilled in all of us to make choices, and then when the day of judgement comes, you won't have to pay for those sins, and you will be rewarded for the fair treatment of these sinners!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:32 PM

694 posts, read 745,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
To me, the problem is when some people selectively choose modern English translations of lines from ancient Hebrew texts with very little or no understanding of the intent, cultural context and languages in which they were originally written.

There are quite a few people who would be put to death if we were to take all the laws in the OT and apply them to modern times. And there would be quite a few people we would label as immoral monsters and criminals today, whose behaviour was perfectly acceptable two to three thousand years ago amongst the Israelites.

As far as I can see, homosexuals as we know them today, have nothing to do with the people and behaviour that was condemned in a handful of selected verses from both the OT and NT. Homosexual couples in loving committed relationships and families as we know them today are not even mentioned at all in the Bible.

From everything I've researched, the only mentions of any hint of same-gender sex acts (not homosexuality) are those involved with worship of fertility gods (idolatry) or an abusive act like male/male rape of strangers. Male rape was another common practice in those days- where a male would rape another male-(especially a stranger) to show dominance, contempt and humiliation. Ie treat a man like a woman. This had nothing to do with homosexuality or even lust-the men were more than likely heterosexual (think prisons, or prisoners of war). We know rape is about control and power, not "lust".

We no longer have temples to Canaanite or Roman fertility gods where ritual sex acts (both heterosexual and homosexual) with sacred temple prostitutes were used to worship the gods to make the crops grow and the land prosperous. This was a very very common practice in both the time when the Israelites were in the land of Canaan, as well as later in the 1st century Roman empire.

Yet many people today, who appear to know nothing of the ancient Canaanite practices, or ancient Hebrew culture, or the religious practices common in the 1st century Rome and Corinth, seem to feel so certain that these cherry-picked verses must be referring to homosexuals or homosexuality in general.

Obviously, the culture was completely different to modern times when the texts in the OT were written. Men could have several wives and concubines and slavegirls. They could kidnap virgin girls from other tribes with the Lord's approval. The Lord even asked for His percent of the human booty in the form of virgins and slaves. Men could get away with raping a virgin girl as long as they paid a price to the girls father and married her. They could get away with having sex with another man's slavewoman as long as they gave a ram to the priest to be sacrificed in atonement. Women were chattel whose main value was as a receptacle for men's seed. Women whose husbands had died had to marry their dead husband's brother or closest relative to carry on his "seed".

These practices are completely ignored by certain modern Christians when they use a verse or two out of context to condemn homosexuals and homosexuality.

Just how many modern homosexuals are sacred temple prostitutes practicing ritual sex acts in pagan fertility temples so that the local corn crops or wheat fields will be prosperous? If someone wants to say that gay people in a loving relationship are "fornicators" because they aren't "married"- well fine.

At least that puts them on the same level as a heterosexual couple who isn't married.

But then put it back in context of ancient Hebrew men having several wives, concubines and slavewoman, some of whom would have been kidnapped as young girls from a neighbouring tribe after all the men, women and male children were slaughtered. How does a modern, loving, committed, gay couple compare to that sort of behaviour?? Bevahiour which was perfectly acceptable in ancient times.
Homosexual activity under whatever guise or reason is still unexceptable. Satan puts this stuff in people's minds all the time. Also, just because homosexual activity was OK in ancient times does not make it right.

Charles

Old 04-19-2010, 01:37 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Homosexual activity under whatever guise or reason is still unexceptable. Satan puts this stuff in people's minds all the time. Also, just because homosexual activity was OK in ancient times does not make it right.

Charles
Unacceptable to who? You? I'm not asking for your acceptance, but a little tolerance for someone who doesn't believe everything YOU believe would be appreciated. After all, I don't reject you for being heterosexual and believing what you believe to be YOUR truths. Why should you deny me the same consideration?

Old 04-19-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
then don't prevent their quality of life by denying privileges, rights, conveniences, tax evasion (through marriage) and service to country.

let them sin, educate them about God if they'll listen. but if their way of life is not infringing on your rights, allow them the free will god has instilled in all of us to make choices, and then when the day of judgement comes, you won't have to pay for those sins, and you will be rewarded for the fair treatment of these sinners!
TAX EVASION is not paying you taxes according to the law. The law allows me certain tax priviledges through marriage which is not tax evasion. I do not think that gays should be able to be excluded from the military. I am not denying them anything as far as lifestyle. If gay people want to get married, they can is certain states. I do tell them (the few I run across) about Jesus but that is the extent of it from my action unless they want to know more. I do not say you are going to hell and things of that nature as some people do. They are no more or less Hell-bound than I was at birth.

Charles

Last edited by cpsTN; 04-19-2010 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: addition of text

Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
Unacceptable to who? You? I'm not asking for your acceptance, but a little tolerance for someone who doesn't believe everything YOU believe would be appreciated. After all, I don't reject you for being heterosexual and believing what you believe to be YOUR truths. Why should you deny me the same consideration?
Acceptable to God, from His word, not mine. I do not deny you or anyone else the right to belieive what you see as the truth or any action that you want to take. You are I are equal in God's eyes.

If the law in Tennessee (where I am) said that you can marry a person of the same sex, I will do nothing to stop you nor will I say anything negatively to you. If you asked if I thought it was right for you to do this, I would have to say no.

Charles

Old 04-19-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
lol....speaking logically to a deluded human being is impossible.
Are saying that I should not be against homosexuality and except it as normal?

Charles

Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
First off it wasn't written in ancient Hebrew. It was written in Aramaic which is what Hebrew grew out of.

If you believe in Bible Scripture literally then you have to follow all of this:

Leviticus 26:29 'Further, you will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters you will eat.

2 Kings 6:28 And the king said to her, "What is the matter with you?" And she answered, "This woman said to me, 'Give your son that we may eat him today, and we will eat my son tomorrow.'

2 Kings 6:29 "So we boiled my son and ate him; and I said to her on the next day, 'Give your son, that we may eat him'; but she has hidden her son."

Jeremiah 19:9 "I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they will eat one another's flesh in the siege and in the distress with which their enemies and those who seek their life will distress them."'

Lamentations 2:20 See, O LORD, and look! With whom have You dealt thus? Should women eat their offspring, The little ones who were born healthy? Should priest and prophet be slain In the sanctuary of the Lord?

Lamentations 4:10 The hands of compassionate women Boiled their own children; They became food for them Because of the destruction of the daughter of my people.

And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee:

Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die."

Leviticus 20:10 "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."

Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery. —Luke 16:18

• When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, in singleness of heart, as you obey Christ; not only while being watched, and in order to please them, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. (Eph. 6:5-6)

Tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to talk back, not to pilfer, but to show complete and perfect fidelity, so that in everything they may be an ornament to the doctrine of God our Savior. (Titus 2:9-10)

Slaves, accept the authority of your masters with all deference, not only those who are kind and gentle but also those who are harsh. For it is a credit to you if, being aware of God, you endure pain while suffering unjustly. If you endure when you are beaten for doing wrong, what credit is that? But if you endure when you do right and suffer for it, you have God's approval. (1Pet. 2:18-29)

DEUTERONOMY 22:13-21
If it is discovered that a bride is not a virgin, the Bible demands that she be executed by stoning immediately.
• DEUTERONOMY 22:22
If a married person has sex with someone else's husband or wife, the Bible commands that both adulterers be stoned to death.
• MARK 10:1-12
Divorce is strictly forbidden in both Testaments, as is remarriage of anyone who has been divorced.
• LEVITICUS 18:19
The Bible forbids a married couple from having sexual intercourse during a woman's period. If they disobey, both shall be executed.
• MARK 12:18-27
If a man dies childless, his widow is ordered by biblical law to have intercourse with each of his brothers in turn until she bears her deceased husband a male heir.
• DEUTERONOMY 25:11-12
If a man gets into a fight with another man and his wife seeks to rescue her husband by grabbing the enemy's genitals, her hand shall be cut off and no pity shall be shown her.
“He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”
First, I don't see why are quoted my post then didn't reply to it.

Second, Many of the OT statements are not literal but parables and some of the OT rules were changed by Jesus, like the all popular "and eye for an eye"!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:07 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Gay people aren't asking for any special rights extended to them, however. Straight people can marry others of the same sex just like gays can. It'd be discrimination otherwise.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:20 PM

604 posts, read 750,880 times
Anyone know why people want to get rich? They're greedy, yes, but they want MORE than the average Joe. As humans, we all want more power than someone else, and if everyone had the same amount of things as the guy next to them, they'd WANT MORE.

Some rights might never be granted to homosexuals, and I'm personally sick and tired of them marrying at all, because I've seen posts where husbands divorce wives..

This homosexual "movement" is getting annyoing, and the way homosexuals, flaunt their homosexuality in public annoys me even more.

I am friends with homosexuals, and they understand the position I take on homosexuality.

So hate the sin, not the sinner, and everyone realize life isn't fair.
The United States is slowly fading in glory, and we're fighting over useless crap like marriage rights?

We're at war, economic collapse is at our doorsteps, 47% of Americans dont pay taxes, unemployment is rising swiftly, drugs are flooding into the US faster than illegal immigrants, and you citizens want this?

If the United States of America was prospering and still on top, in a Golden Age, spending like we were a few years ago, when gas prices weren't bad, we knew we were safe at home, the cops had things under control, and our Senate wasn't as corrupt, you think it'd be easier to pass a bill when everyones content with what they've got?

You know how far we've fallen? How much we've lost since 2001?

And you're arguing over marriage rights....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies