Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:44 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Isn't this the same country that stopped teaching about the holocaust for fear of offending muslims? Now we hear that they will teach glbt just for kicks?

Something doesn't sound right...

Is this the same Jacqui Smith who pronounced Savage a terrorist wannabe and banned him from the UK? Maybe she and our own She-male DHS Disaster should put their heads together and come up with even more outrageous edicts? Wouldn't they make a pair??

Last edited by lilypad; 05-08-2009 at 08:58 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
American public education at it's finest. Who cares if math and science scores are falling, and the number of dropouts is increasing? What our schools really need to do is dedicate some time to teach students about different types of sexual activities. Is it any wonder that the education system in this country is a laughingstock and that many of our industries are failing?

Political correctness is absolutely destroying this country.
I guess your American education didn't teach you to read in the article that the particular situation is occurring in the UK.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 AM

79 posts, read 96,316 times
I don't really know what the real story here is because the website where this article came from is obviously a right wing propaganda site.

I don't see anything wrong with learning about LGBT history. It is part of our history whether we like it or not.

If you want to keep your children from learning the accomplishments of that particular group of people, you should probably homeschool your children.

LGBT people are just as important to our society as all of us. It is the public school system's job to teach about all elements of our society. Whether people want to admit it or not there were many LGBT people in history that made a real difference. Our children deserve to know the truth about that.

Its not like they are going to teach about the mechanics of gay sex or anything. It's LGBT HISTORY month.

If you keep your kids out of school in america you could go to jail. It's called truency. So I don't see the problem here

Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 AM

If the topic of same-sex relationships comes up, "Why does Billy have two dads" then I would be fine with a teacher saying something age appropriate saying, "Sometimes two men or two women love each other like a man and a woman do."

It all depends on the age but as for having a whole month dedicated to it in K-say.....8th grade, no.
In the grades 9-12, I would be fine with teachers telling kids a certain historical figure was gay.

I think parents should have the option to shield their children from the knowledge that gay and lesbian are just like everyone else....that's their prerogative.
If they want to go through the trouble to take them out of school when the discussion happens and put them back in when it's over...why not?

The point of the LGBT history month is not to teach about gay sex...it's to teach about historical figures who belonged to the LGBT community.
It just saddens me in this day and age whenever the subject of homosexuality comes up all most people seem to think about is sex. ::shakes head::

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
...and the homosexual panic continues...
As does the God panic in public schools...

Old 05-08-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
As does the God panic in public schools...

Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
If the topic of same-sex relationships comes up, "Why does Billy have two dads" then I would be fine with a teacher saying something age appropriate saying, "Sometimes two men or two women love each other like a man and a woman do."

It all depends on the age but as for having a whole month dedicated to it in K-say.....8th grade, no.
In the grades 9-12, I would be fine with teachers telling kids a certain historical figure was gay.

I think parents should have the option to shield their children from the knowledge that gay and lesbian are just like everyone else....that's their prerogative.
While there might be a time and place for discussing sexuality, and parents certainly have the right to guide children's opinions on matters like these, I don't agree with the above-bolded statement. Children can handle the knowledge that adults engage in activities that not all other adults approve of, and that disapproval of the activity is not necessarily condemnation of the persons involved.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
Nope, no panic, but nice strawman. Some people actually prefer children being taught school material, not material pushed by a special interest group.

I have been persecuted for atheism, but I wouldn't push for an "atheist awareness month", but it would be cool to have a Carl Sagan Day.

We should be having math month, science month, literature month, history month, etc. Just my $0.02.

Great post I Like Taxes!
I support gay marriage, but c'mon, teaching about it in school? Nope, I wouldn't be pleased!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
While there might be a time and place for discussing sexuality, and parents certainly have the right to guide children's opinions on matters like these, I don't agree with the above-bolded statement. Children can handle the knowledge that adults engage in activities that not all other adults approve of, and that disapproval of the activity is not necessarily condemnation of the persons involved.
I don't see the point of LGBT history month as a discussion on the "engaging of certain activities" but rather that so and so did this is history and happen to be gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered. No discussion of sex should follow that.

Eventually the kids who have been sheltered will come in contact with a gay or lesbian person but if their kids want to keep them sheltered....that's their right. I may not agree with it but they are free to do that.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:08 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Keep slapping yourself on the head and you might just get a headache!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies