Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
errr,........ libertarian!
Don't I have to own a gun and live in Montana??? (joking!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
I think the GOP could be the party of young voters if they would focus on fiscal conservatism and personal liberty. I believe the reason generation Y is so overwhelmingly Democratic is because young people don't like the government telling them what they can or can't do in bed and who with. If Republicans dropped the anti-gay stance they would lose most of their evangelical base, but could an influx of young voters and moderate Democrats make up for that?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
My thoughts, exactly. It's foolish to underestimate the GOP. Both parties have been counted out before, and both parties have later roared back to life with a vengeance.

With almost a monopoly on power, the Democrats will at some point create an opening for the GOP's resurrection. It remains to be seen if they rise to the opportunity or continue to dig themselves deeper into the dustbin of history. At present, their public face is dumb and irrelevant. They'll need to make a big turn-around if they hope to take advantage when the time comes. so far, they're looking more and more inept and anachronistic.

Newt Gingrich?

Please!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think the GOP could be the party of young voters if they would focus on fiscal conservatism and personal liberty. I believe the reason generation Y is so overwhelmingly Democratic is because young people don't like the government telling them what they can or can't do in bed and who with. If Republicans dropped the anti-gay stance they would lose most of their evangelical base, but could an influx of young voters and moderate Democrats make up for that?
i really don't get the bible crowd. the bible says that all sins are supposedly equal in gods eyes. jesus also said that let he who has not sinned throw the first stone.

the bible crowd seems to want to rewrite the good book to state that homosexuality, abortion and drugs are unforgiveable by god. usury is now very acceptable because so many bible bashers work in banks. the also want the 'good book' to say that it is now ok to judge your neighbor because god has decided that he wants to outsource that responsiblity to the evangelicals!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:17 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Can't blame Time Magazine for trying to stir the pot, it's circulation is down a whopping 17% from 2006.
As a matter of fact, most liberal media formats are in the tank.
Controversy sells and the purported demise of the GOP makes for good if not innacurate copy.
Wishful thinking.
True, also pandering to their base reader, the few who actually read whole articles...

Old 05-08-2009, 09:39 AM

157 posts, read 180,558 times
What this conservative would like is for all of you to do your own thing. Marry who you want, lead the lifestyle you think is best for you, get pregnant, have abortions, do drugs, whatever makes you happy!!!! BUT...please don't use my tax money to tell my children about it (that's my job), promote it, pay for the consequences of it, etc. How's that for compromise?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:43 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,840,568 times
House--Democratic control
Senate--Democratic control
President--Democratic
Supreme Court--Democratic control

What is wrong with this picture?

Our government is based on Balance of Power. When one party has too much control the People lose.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
There is a very good article in Time Magazine that everyone should read - especially Republican die-hards... especially those that have drunken more than their share of the neocon KoolAid.

It examines the dramatic fall of the party in the past 5 years, and ponders what the future holds in store for the once great GOP..

It examines that as the party shrinks to it's base, it gets even more extreme to pander to that base, and therefore locks itself out from national power.

Here's my favorite passage from this article:

"No one seems to deny that many Republicans abandoned their principles — especially fiscal responsibility — while in power, but even some across-the-board conservatives see enforced homogeneity as a sure path to oblivion."

My 2nd favorite quote: ""Their biggest problem is that they really believe what they believe." "

Couldn't be truer words... the more they go the way of Limbaugh and Anne Coulter, the more they continue to disintegrate before our eyes.

Political Science majors must be going gah-gah over this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness first-hand the self-immolation of a major political party.

Republicans in Distress: Is the Party Over? - TIME

They really should read the article, accept that the Base is the biggest part of the R Party right now and decide whether that's good or bad.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
There is a very good article in Time Magazine that everyone should read - especially Republican die-hards... especially those that have drunken more than their share of the neocon KoolAid.

It examines the dramatic fall of the party in the past 5 years, and ponders what the future holds in store for the once great GOP..

It examines that as the party shrinks to it's base, it gets even more extreme to pander to that base, and therefore locks itself out from national power.

"No one seems to deny that many Republicans abandoned their principles — especially fiscal responsibility — while in power, but even some across-the-board conservatives see enforced homogeneity as a sure path to oblivion."

My 2nd favorite quote: ""Their biggest problem is that they really believe what they believe." "

Couldn't be truer words... the more they go the way of Limbaugh and Anne Coulter, the more they continue to disintegrate before our eyes.

Political Science majors must be going gah-gah over this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness first-hand the self-immolation of a major political party.

Did the same person write this that said blonde hair blue eyed people are going extinct ?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,632 times
Quote:

Both are shrinking, maybe we'll be lucky and both parties will be over.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies