Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 PM

107 posts, read 268,223 times

Advertisements

Bush lied. Cheney lied. Pelosi lied. Some other republicans/liberals lied.

There you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:54 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
How will a counterargument actually solve anything here? Are we just going to keep a tally of lies and see which column gets to be the biggest? Why turn this into a race to the bottom?

Both sides lie. To ask for an accounting to determine a "winner" or to even the score is pointless.

But if we're going to quantify the scope and depth of the lies, in this particular argument, Bush's lies were far more heinous. Like I already implied, I'm not taking sides. I dislike them both and can't imagine why Americans haven't abandoned what is clearly designed to just divide them. Two sides of the same coin and all that...

Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
There is a lot more evidence that Nancy Pelosi knew all about the waterboarding she now claims to have never heard of, than there ever was evidence that George W. Bush "lied" about Iraq possessing weapons of mass destruction. Yet for some reason, the people who screamed the loudest their false allegations of Bush "lying", are now curiously silent about Pelosi's clear act.

When can we expect them to resume their self-appointed duty of exposing politicians who actually did lie... such as Pelosi?
Never is my guess.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:59 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
As President, Obama has the ability to declassify classified information. In 2002 Pelosi was not the minority leader and of course did not and does not have that right.

I am, however, highly amused by people attempting to compare Bush's lies with something Pelosi was told 7 years ago.
Your first point is a fair one, but your second indicates a failure to see the issue.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Oh kay...

Pelosi was there in the breifings in 2002, when she was a minority party member of the commitee.

Are you trying to imply she could have done something about it? Should she have made the classified information public?

Go ahead. Lay it all out.
She shoots her mouth off about everything else, why not this ?
If anything..don't deny it. Say it was classified and she couldn't talk about it.

Color coat this anyway you want..she was there and she was told.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:52 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
There is a lot more evidence that Nancy Pelosi knew all about the waterboarding she now claims to have never heard of, than there ever was evidence that George W. Bush "lied" about Iraq possessing weapons of mass destruction. Yet for some reason, the people who screamed the loudest their false allegations of Bush "lying", are now curiously silent about Pelosi's clear act.

When can we expect them to resume their self-appointed duty of exposing politicians who actually did lie... such as Pelosi?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hill Briefed on Waterboarding in 2002 - washingtonpost.com

Hill Briefed on waterboarding in 2002
In Meetings, Spy Panels' Chiefs Did Not Protest, Officials Say

by Joby Warrick and Dan Eggen
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, December 9, 2007; Page A01

In September 2002, four members of Congress met in secret for a first look at a unique CIA program designed to wring vital information from reticent terrorism suspects in U.S. custody. For more than an hour, the bipartisan group, which included current House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), was given a virtual tour of the CIA's overseas detention sites and the harsh techniques interrogators had devised to try to make their prisoners talk.
[MOD CUT/copyright]

Where's the part that shows George Bush told the truth about WMDs? On Pelosi, thats easy.

The "BUSH LIED!!!" crowd 2will start screaming "PELOSI LIED!!!" about waterboarding briefing?"

When the Neocons can show that she was President of the United States and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces at the time.

Otherwise who gives a damn about Pelosi in the first place except the Neocons? I don't personally care if she lies all day long every day because it doesn't affect anything (like causing an unnecessary war, killing 4,000 Americans unnecessarily, causing 300,000 brain injuries and killing hundreds of thousands of civilian non-combatants).

Old 05-08-2009, 04:07 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Okay. Pelosi lied. Happy now?

I'll go you one better and say that I suspect the reason there has been so much foot dragging by the current administration in the investigation of and prosecution of war crimes by the previous administration is because it would drag some of their own "friends" into the circle of those who need investigating. Personally, I don't care if it is Republicans or Democrats who are nailed. I'd just like to see a little honesty and integrity in our government for a change.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:09 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
I don't know... when will the crowd that said "Your'e with Bush or you're against the U.S." say the same thing about our current president?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:10 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
It's sometimes more important to go after the criminals who commit an act than it is to go after people who may have been told about parts of it.

As soon as you demonstrate that you have some integrity by clamoring for the torturers to be prosecuted, then we'll start worrying about the bit players in the incident.

Deal?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:20 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,551 times
Quote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hill Briefed on Waterboarding in 2002 - washingtonpost.com

Hill Briefed on waterboarding in 2002
In Meetings, Spy Panels' Chiefs Did Not Protest, Officials Say

by Joby Warrick and Dan Eggen
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, December 9, 2007; Page A01

In September 2002, four members of Congress met in secret for a first look at a unique CIA program designed to wring vital information from reticent terrorism suspects in U.S. custody. For more than an hour, the bipartisan group, which included current House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), was given a virtual tour of the CIA's overseas detention sites and the harsh techniques interrogators had devised to try to make their prisoners talk.
[MOD CUT/copyright]
I've been blasting Pelosi for being morally culpable... but this post here gave me pause -- is the CIA just doing some CYA? Emptywheel » CIA Lying to ABC about Torture. Again. ABC Reporting It Uncritically. Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies