Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:23 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,692,442 times

Advertisements

The Political Carnival: Bill Maher- There Is An Evangelical Cancer In The Military

I was surprised to find that our tax paying dollars are being used to preach christianity to muslims. There was a similar thread in the Religion section about Afghanistan. This video claims the evangelical efforts are broader and include Iraq also. To me, this is scary. I think we need to keep religion/ agnostism/atheism out of the army, else we are in the danger of percieved to be fighting modern-day crusades. Such efforts destroy our credibility as a nation and we appear to others to be no different than the Taliban.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by calmdude; 05-09-2009 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 01:26 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,649,462 times
I personally do not think evangelicals should be allowed in the military. Anyone who embraces a nihilistc religion should be barred from firearms. Period.
Since that is not likely to happen, then any service member caught trying to convert anyone should be automatically dishonorably discharged. After all, you don't have to be a muslim to be a fanatic.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I personally do not think evangelicals should be allowed in the military. Anyone who embraces a nihilistc religion should be barred from firearms. Period.
Since that is not likely to happen, then any service member caught trying to convert anyone should be automatically dishonorably discharged. After all, you don't have to be a muslim to be a fanatic.
Completely agree! Last I checked, we were not a theocracy.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:39 PM

841 posts, read 2,262,191 times
I'll take it one step further ban evangelicals from this country.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:49 PM

107 posts, read 268,308 times
This is disturbing. I'm completely against it.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
Don't you think statements like that make you sound just as extreme as the people you're against?

Old 05-09-2009, 01:59 PM

I think the evangelicals are not stupid - they know they are pushing the boundaries. Yet, they cannot seem to pass us abusing the system because of their hardheadedness and superiority complex. Someone ought to sue the churches involved - their illegal "missions" are doing a lot of damage to the money we all are spending in the war.

Excerpts from
Army Says it Confiscated Afghan Bibles

In other footage captured at Bagram, Sergeant Jon Watt, a Soldier set to become a military chaplain, said during a Bible study class: "I also want to praise God because my church collected some money to get bibles for Afghanistan. They came and sent the money out."

U.S. military regulations expressly forbid "proselytising of any religion, faith or practice".

Old 05-09-2009, 02:18 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,334,988 times

Old 05-09-2009, 02:20 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,739,379 times
Once again...IT's freedom OF Religion not FROM Religion........
Without Evangelicals you wouldn't have much of a Military...But it seems many of you would just as soon eradicate Religion period......

Welcome to Military Religious Freedom Foundation

All branches of the United States military are afforded the same rights to religious freedom as are American civilians. However, members of the Armed Forces willingly surrender on a temporary basis certain free exercise rights when it impinges on military discipline and the successful completion of a military objective. This guarantee of religious freedom is codified for the Armed Forces in Title 10, United States Code (USC), sections 3073, 3547, 5142, and 8067. Free exercise of religious freedom for military personnel is further detailed in Department of Defense Directive (DODD) 1300.17, “Accommodation of Religious Practices Within the Military Services,” which describes the commander’s responsibility to provide for religious accommodation.
Codes and directives notwithstanding, the free exercise of religious freedom in the military has, by and large, followed the mores of American society in general. That is, as the understanding of free exercise expanded outside the military, so did it expand within the U.S. Armed Forces. This history of the growing embrace of religious pluralism can perhaps best be seen in the expansion of the Chaplaincy, whose role it is to provide for the free expression of religious belief by members of the Armed Forces.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:21 PM

355 posts, read 447,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
Oh sure, ban evangelicals from exercising their rights to freedom of speech.

Arrogant, elitist liberals like you are precisely the ones that call for Christians and rational conservative radio hosts like Rush Limbaugh to be stripped of their rights; but I'll bet you want every illegal immigrant, anchor baby, and terrorist to have full protection of Constitutional rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies