Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 11:02 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I think that Theliberalvoice was pointing out that abortion is an obvious wedge issue, hence his "Duh."
Thanks - it's hard to keep up with all these posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 11:03 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You have before. That is when we originally met.

It is many many posts ago. I now have 1,970 something so there is no point in searching all that way back but I know you did. Because I remember your name and what you said. I know it was you because thats when we started DM too.

So why do you think you can dish out and insult my beliefs (Oh Christianity is better! The only way! You are wrong and your religion is false) but when I do it, suddenly it irks you?
Since the very core of my Christian belief is that it is the only way to eternal life, should I be a hypocrite and say that all religions are equally valid? Does your hindu faith recognize other religions as equally valid? EVERY religion that I'm aware of claims it is the only way. I apologize if you felt insulted by that but I do stand by my convictions.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
To each his own.
My problem with background checks and licenses is that they go against my libertarian instincts.
The second amendment is supposed to convey a "right" of the people to keep and bear arms. I have always been taught that we are considered innocent until proven guilty. Why, then, when it comes to my "right" to keep and bear arms, I am considered guilty until I prove my innocence with a background check?

I don't believe the criminal element among us still has the same rights that I do, if they have been duly tried and convicted in a court of law. In my opinion, criminals (felons) surrender most of their rights when they commit their crimes, though they don't lose those rights until they've been convicted. For this reason, once they've been convicted and are incarcerated, I don't believe they should have the right to own firearms. I believe they should do the time for their crimes. I also believe that if they do the appropriate time, then they should have their rights restored once they are released, and this would include firearms ownership. If, according to the government, they're not ready for that, they shouldn't be released from prison.
Very good points. You may have changed some of my thinking on this issue.

With that said, if the Second Amendment does guarantee a right for any American to own and use firearms, well then, I wish it did not.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
AM I disagree... You quoted a stereotype and agreed.
Again, point it out and I'll take a look at it. Just saying that I've stereotyped someone doesn't make it so.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:05 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
But no one realistically believes that morality should be kept separate from public policies. Some people believe it should be for the most part, but virtually no one thinks it should be kept completely separate.

Most religious people derive their standards of morality from their religious beliefs.
Thank you! I know many liberals criticize conservatives for voting based on their religious convictions but they don't seem to understand that our religion is an important part of who we are.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:07 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Since the very core of my Christian belief is that it is the only way to eternal life, should I be a hypocrite and say that all religions are equally valid? Does your hindu faith recognize other religions as equally valid? EVERY religion that I'm aware of claims it is the only way. I apologize if you felt insulted by that but I do stand by my convictions.
Then dont get upset when I say the same about your religion when I express my beliefs. Seriously. So hypocritical. Why do you think you can do it to me but I cannot do it to you? Please explain.

And for the millionth time (not to you but everyone), I am NOT a Hindu. I love how you capitalize Christian but not Hindu. And no, Hinduism does not claim it is the only way. Neither does Buddism or Sikhism. They're not arrogant religious like some other ones.

Another example of conservatives thinking liberals should be tolerant of their beliefs!

Old 05-09-2009, 11:13 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Again, point it out and I'll take a look at it. Just saying that I've stereotyped someone doesn't make it so.
Its no sweat, but here is the post I was talking about.
//www.city-data.com/forum/8736258-post130.html

Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Not everyone believes in the "word" or even interprets it in the same way as you or even cares what you believe in.
Which "word" are you referring to? Tolerance? Did you mean God's
"Word?" If you meant the latter, you are right. Not everyone interprets it the same way, nor does everyone believe in it. But some people do, and it is what they use to guide the way they choose to live thier life.

Quote:
Everyone is intolerant of something but I believe that's it's blatantly discriminatory and blissfully ignorant to use one's religion as a basis to deprive an entire class of citizens of a basic right simply because you've been personally taught to believe their mere existence is immoral.
What entire class of citizens have been deprived of a "basic right?" This notion keeps getting thrown out into the forum, but nobody's been able to answer that very basic question?

Quote:
That's not tolerance but the epitome of intolerance. If the roles were flipped and someone told you that you didn't have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex because his or her religion taught it was wrong you'd probably fight tooth and nail too.
If marriage were somehow defined differently, then I might agree with you. For your scenario to make any sense, the definition of marriage would need to be changed. If marriage were somehow defined differently, and my relationship did not fit in with the definition of marriage, I would opt to call my relationship something different, like, say, "domestic partnership."

Quote:
How would you feel if someone told you that you could not marry a woman because of their religious beliefs or because they are afraid their children would learn about the mere existence of heterosexual couples or because an employer did not want to extend benefits to your heterosexual marriage? Would you fight for your rights or would you be content to let others deprive you of your right to marry because of these reasons? I'm sure you wouldn't exactly believe that everything is sunshine and roses and crawl under a rock.
This keeps getting brought up, but nobody's bothered to answer the question: Who has been deprived of their right to get married?

Quote:
This debate over same-sex marriage is a classic case of tyranny of the majority. It was a non-issue thirty years ago when gay people were understandably too afraid to even live out their realities as gay and lesbians. Now that this is no longer the case and we've progressed beyond such ignorance, some Christians and others are grasping at straws to come up with a basis that can trump extended fundamental rights to every citizen. This is no surprise. I've seen many feign to pretend same-sex marriage is not a civil rights issues because they have safety in numbers. One can easily disregard the right of others if its their actions are deemed immoral or contrary to the religious beliefs of the majority. After all, religion has played an integral role in depriving minorities of rights throughout our country's history. Why not now?
Don't deceive yourself. Thirty years ago, gays and lesbians were living out their lifestyle. San Francisco was well known for its gay population. Even the Village People were known to be gay at that time. The main thing was that many people didn't know that some of the people were gay or lesbian. There were a lot of people that were gay, but didn't make an issue of it. It wasn't until gays wanted to be recognized as a "protected" class that all of this trouble started. When they kept their activities behind closed doors, most people didn't really care what they did.

Quote:
This is just another situation where people will be wondering even a decade from now why the hell they spent all this time, energy and money fighting against something that, at the end of the day, had de minimis to zero effect on their lives.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The key is - the Prop passed.
Yes it did. And now you have the real numbers, thanks to me.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Trust me, shes not anti-male .

Oh, do tell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies