Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Under which circumstances should abortion be legal, if at all?
Legal under any circumstances 47 39.83%
Legal under most circumstances 35 29.66%
Legal only in a few circumstances 27 22.88%
Illegal in all circumstances 9 7.63%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:58 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
There are extremes on the pro-life side that do.
Oh I'm well aware. I should have phrased my post differently. What I meant to say is "how could they support banning abortion in cases in which the woman's life is at risk?"

There are extremists on the pro-choice side as well who support legalizing elective abortions even during the third trimester.

Balance, rather than extremism, is the way to get things done. I think many people need to learn that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 AM

185 posts, read 108,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They aren't. They will happily show women the ultrasound if that is what a woman wants. Like X-rays in the dentist's office. I don't want to see those. I don't have the knowledge to interpret them, so there's not any point in forcing me to look at them. Should my dentist force me to look at them? Should your dentist force you to look at them?
Does PP tell women about the abortion option only when women ask? Of course not. That's what they're in business for. Ultrasounds are a bit different than dental x-rays. This is an image of the offspring, often with fully formed fingers and hands. No way in hell PP wants this personalized.

The other thing is it has been shown women seeing ultrasounds frequently decide not to have the abortion. There's the real problem PP has with it.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Oh I'm well aware. I should have phrased my post differently. What I meant to say is "how could they support banning abortion in cases in which the woman's life is at risk?"

There are extremists on the pro-choice side as well who support legalizing elective abortions even during the third trimester.

Balance, rather than extremism, is the way to get things done. I think many people need to learn that.
Yeah, that's a nice moderate stance. Could you find for us a nice 'balance' on rape. Maybe men could do it some of the time? After all, moderation!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The reason PP and women who are going to have an abortion do not want to view an u/s prior to the abortion is the same reason people don't want to watch PETA videos on packing houses.
It is disturbing, it provokes guilt, and it is the truth of the situation but ultimately it isn't going to change many minds.
This is false. Women have a great likelihood of changing their minds once viewing their ultrasound. That's the whole problem for PP. Big bucks being lost. Do you think they would care if ultrasounds weren't changing minds?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
The ultrasound is not the problem, it's all the propaganda that people at these pregnancy crisis centers tell these woman that come in there.

Can you show me a reputable link that shows Planned Parenthood makes "millions" providing abortions?
Just look at their 2008 financial statment. They performed 25% of all abortions in the US.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:36 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weegie View Post
Does PP tell women about the abortion option only when women ask? Of course not. That's what they're in business for. Ultrasounds are a bit different than dental x-rays. This is an image of the offspring, often with fully formed fingers and hands. No way in hell PP wants this personalized.

The other thing is it has been shown women seeing ultrasounds frequently decide not to have the abortion. There's the real problem PP has with it.
Planned Parenthood doesn't have an interest in making more women have abortions. They have an interest in making sure women are informed about the choices available to them, and are able to make the best choice for the situation the woman finds herself in.

Why would Planned Parenthood want every woman to get an abortion? What purpose does that serve?

They provide many other services besides abortion. Abortion is a very small part of the services they make available. Even if a woman decides to have her child, many of those women will still seek out the services of Planned Parenthood for pre-natal care.

The personnel at Planned Parenthood are medical professionals, not mad abortionists who salivate over pregnant women.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:53 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
This is false. Women have a great likelihood of changing their minds once viewing their ultrasound. That's the whole problem for PP. Big bucks being lost. Do you think they would care if ultrasounds weren't changing minds?
Again, PP isn't raking in the bucks with abortions, and they already offer for you to look, I've experienced it first hand.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:

women who get abortions know full well what they are doing. they do not need to see an ultrasound to know that they have a developing baby. you prefer they feel worse about their situation than they already do by showing them an ultrasound, hoping to guilt them into having a baby.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:

Actually, yes. When a woman goes into PP they are not coerced into getting an abortion. You get pregnancy tested IF YOU REQUEST IT and a representative comes in and tells you the results. Then, the rep asks if you have any questions, if you would like to start prenatal care etc etc and THEN asks if abortion is an option. They give out literature, answer any questions and will make an appointment to see a nurse practicioner if you'd like. They do ask if you want to see a sonagram but you are allowed to deny it.

I sat with a friend of mine during a very difficult part of her life and went through this first step with her. They don't force you into anything, they are there to answer questions and absolutely DO NOT give advice.

Have you actually ever been inside a PP? Are you a woman, or a man, if I may ask?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
I have a friend who received all of her prenatal vitamins free at PP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies