Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Under which circumstances should abortion be legal, if at all?
Legal under any circumstances 47 39.83%
Legal under most circumstances 35 29.66%
Legal only in a few circumstances 27 22.88%
Illegal in all circumstances 9 7.63%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

The men that desire to suppress women in any and all ways never give up. Forcing women to remain pregnant and making women responsible for the resulting child is one of their favorite tactics. This debate is not about babies but is entirely about men controlling women. These men are only demonstrating their weakness and insecurity. Most are overage spoiled children.

Hell, there are entire religions founded on the need for some men to own and control women. Muslims, Catholics and Mormons come to mind. None deserve any respect.

The thread was up on the list so I addressed the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The men that desire to suppress women in any and all ways never give up. Forcing women to remain pregnant and making women responsible for the resulting child is one of their favorite tactics. This debate is not about babies but is entirely about men controlling women. These men are only demonstrating their weakness and insecurity. Most are overage spoiled children.

Hell, there are entire religions founded on the need for some men to own and control women. Muslims, Catholics and Mormons come to mind. None deserve any respect.

The thread was up on the list so I addressed the question.
What about the many WOMEN like myself who are adamantly opposed to abortion? I think the debate is a lot more philosophical than simply a matter of trying to control women or not.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:57 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
What about the many WOMEN like myself who are adamantly opposed to abortion? I think the debate is a lot more philosophical than simply a matter of trying to control women or not.
The law is just fine as it is.

Women like you will never be forced to have an abortion against your will.

and...........

Women who choose to abort will not have YOUR will forced upon them.

And yes, banning abortion IS all about women being controlled by others....complete strangers who seem to think their beliefs should be FORCED on others.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
What about you? What makes what YOU think/believe trump what I or any other woman might believe?

If you are adamantly opposed to abortion, aren't you lucky to be living in the US where you cannot be forced to have one? That's what CHOICE is all about.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:08 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Whenever the woman chooses it.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Abortion is the touch point of the debate about individual freedom and societal control. I side with the individual's right to control their own body. I do not believe the society has any right to tell an individual to get, remain or terminate a pregnancy. That is the woman's sole prerogative.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
I used to live in country where abortion is illegal under most circumstances. You know what that law meant to me? Nothing. You know what that law meant to women who could muster a thousand dollars for a flight and the cost of the abortion elsewhere? Nothing.

Laws like this ONLY affect the poor. Those who have the required funds to seek medical help abroad can and will do so. These days, that's just about everyone.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 AM

657 posts, read 697,560 times
Under any circumstances of course. This should be a decision between the woman and her doctor, not some Idiot Republican. Who do they think they are?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:09 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
Under any circumstances of course. This should be a decision between the woman and her doctor, not some Idiot Republican. Who do they think they are?
Womb controllers?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:40 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I used to live in country where abortion is illegal under most circumstances. You know what that law meant to me? Nothing. You know what that law meant to women who could muster a thousand dollars for a flight and the cost of the abortion elsewhere? Nothing.

Laws like this ONLY affect the poor. Those who have the required funds to seek medical help abroad can and will do so. These days, that's just about everyone.
Are you saying everyone nowadays can come up with a thousand dollars or more to travel abroad for an abortion? or.....Are you saying very few people could come up with that kind of money?

And.....it is not just the money. Can you get a week off work to travel abroad? Can you find someone to care for your other children, elderly parents, pets......while you travel abroad? Can you afford another few hundred dollars to pay someone to provide the care for you? Can you even find someone to provide the care for you?

It's just not so simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies