Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times

Advertisements

An excerpt from an opinion piece on the FoxNews' Faith section...
  1. Can we agree that the number of abortions needs to be reduced? No they need to be eliminated with the exception of life of the mother

Can we border on caution when it comes to the question of when life begins?
Life begiins at conception
Can we agree that inconvenience is not a proper reason for an abortion?
No reason except health of mother
Can we speak to those of an opposite viewpoint without using hate speech?
Calling it genocide is not hate speech
Can we choose to promote a culture of life?
end abortion end death penalty you will have a culture of life
Can we encourage adoption, recognizing the many parents who would love and cherish a baby?
Yes
Can we help teens see that abstinence is the best option and clearest way to avoid STDs, regret and abortions?
Yes
Can we agree that there is no greater gift than life?
Yes
Can we agree that this is ultimately an issue that transcends politics?
Preseving our most innocent should trancend all, but it seems it will never happen as too many beleive a mother has the right to kill
Can we agree that you and I wouldn’t be able to have an opinion on this issue if we had been aborted?
Yes

Old 05-19-2009, 09:31 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Not particuarly, as I see nothing wrong with the number of abortions now.
With this, I would have to disagree. I'd actually like to see the number of abortions needed/performed to go down.

Quote:
Only as long as the adopting family pays for all the medical expenses of the incubator. Adoption solves unwanted parenting, not unwanted pregnancy. That's why I don't really consider adoption to be a viable alternative to abortion.
Most of the time, when adoption is planned during pregnancy, medical bills are usually taken care of. I am not so sure about other expenses (such as clothing) are taken into consideration. I do, however, consider adoption to be viable for a person who has no problems continuing a pregnancy but doesn't want the child.

Quote:
We can certainly mention it in sex ed, but abstinence is a very unrealistic ideal to force upon others.
Why not?

[*]Can we agree that the number of abortions needs to be reduced?

Most certainly. While I may be "pro-choice," I'd like to see less people needing or feeling the need to make that choice.

[*]Can we border on caution when it comes to the question of when life begins?

As soon as sperm and egg meet, there is a new life.

[*]Can we agree that inconvenience is not a proper reason for an abortion?

Who gets to make the call of what is an inconvenience? For some, financial restraints are just "inconveniences;" to others, it is something major.

[*]Can we speak to those of an opposite viewpoint without using hate speech?

Of course. Civilized debate is preferred.

[*]Can we choose to promote a culture of life?

Yes. But we should not disregard the wishes of others in regards to their own bodies.

[*]Can we encourage adoption, recognizing the many parents who would love and cherish a baby?

Only to those willing to endure 9 months of pregnancy and any/all complications that result thereof.

[*]Can we help teens see that abstinence is the best option and clearest way to avoid STDs, regret and abortions?

Teens overcome with hormones aren't going to listen to the Aspirin Method (Take an aspirin and place it on the inside of one knee and hold it there with your other knee - courtesy of my grandmother). Teach abstinence, but teach other methods as well.

[*]Can we agree that there is no greater gift than life?

Depends on who you talk to. Ask the 14-year old in high school and she mighr reply "A new iPod."

[*]Can we agree that this is ultimately an issue that transcends politics?

This I cannot agree to. When it comes to laws, there should be no "transcending" to anything besides "politics" and political discussion. Facts and figures.

[*]Can we agree that you and I wouldn’t be able to have an opinion on this issue if we had been aborted?

I agree with Lang on this one.. I wouldn't know nor would I have cared because I wouldn't exist. But I'm sure there are people out there that have severe genetic/hereditary diseases who sometimes wish they had been aborted.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:37 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
With this, I would have to disagree. I'd actually like to see the number of abortions needed/performed to go down.
Understandable. Myself, I really don't care either way.

Quote:
Most of the time, when adoption is planned during pregnancy, medical bills are usually taken care of.
Which I understand. I know this happens, and I do advocate it.

Quote:
I do, however, consider adoption to be viable for a person who has no problems continuing a pregnancy but doesn't want the child.

And I agree- but only if the woman wants to go through the pregnancy. If she doesn't, she shouldn't be forced to.

Quote:
Why not?
Not everyone's morals are the same. It's be like a orthodox jew trying to get Arby's to stop serving ham sandwiches.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:48 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,479,557 times
It still bewilders me that people think that it's ok to dictate what a woman should do with her body based on their faiths and ideals. Freedom should have no boundaries especially those set based on an individuals religious beliefs.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
  1. Can we agree that the number of abortions needs to be reduced? No they need to be eliminated with the exception of life of the mother
And what, exactly, would "life of the mother" entail for you? Would you consider her psychological well being to be important? Would you consider her financial well being to be important? Or are you saying that abortion should only be legal if the mother's physical life would be endangered by pregnancy? How about just her physical health?

2. Can we border on caution when it comes to the question of when life begins?
Life begiins at conception

You believe that; not everyone does. As a woman who has given birth three times, I'm still unclear about when the life of my sons began. When I actually felt that life is one thing; when it was actually a separate life is another.

Can we agree that inconvenience is not a proper reason for an abortion?
No reason except health of mother

Again, would that include the psychological health of the mother? Or do you limit it to the possibility that carrying to term could cause the mother to die?

Can we speak to those of an opposite viewpoint without using hate speech?
Calling it genocide is not hate speech

You clearly don't know the definition of genocide. From Websters:
Quote:
: the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group
So tell us, please, how women of varying racial, political or cultural groups choosing abortion for whatever reasons they deem correct amounts to 'genocide'?

Can we choose to promote a culture of life?
end abortion end death penalty you will have a culture of life

But, how would you 'end abortion'? You do realize, don't you, that women have been having abortions for thousands of years, including during times when it was illegal? Making abortion illegal would not end it. Women who want abortions (or the men who don't want to be fathers) will find some way to end a pregnancy, be it the use of a coat hanger or some 'back alley' practitioner. I'd rather the need for it be made rarer by educating everyone - men, women and teens especially - of the many ways to prevent that unwanted pregnancy before it happens.

Can we encourage adoption, recognizing the many parents who would love and cherish a baby?
Yes

As long as we allow the prospective adoptive parents to assist in the financial maintenance of the pregnancy. Being pregnant is expensive, especially if the woman sees a doctor regularly, takes care of her own health to ensure the health of the child and takes all the supplements (vitamins and such) recommended. (You do realize that many abortions take place because the woman is already in a financial bind that pregnancy would only exacerbate, don't you?)

Can we help teens see that abstinence is the best option and clearest way to avoid STDs, regret and abortions?
Yes

Yes, abstinence is the best option, but not teaching them about all of the other options is just foolish. Teens are ruled by their raging hormones. No matter what you teach them, how well they absorb the lessons or what their intentions are, they ARE going to experiment with sex. To believe otherwise is to live in a fantasy world.

Can we agree that there is no greater gift than life?
Yes

But when you force anyone to give that 'gift' it is no longer a 'gift'. A gift is something that is given because the giver wants to give it. To be forced to give it because someone says you have to, it becomes not a gift but a theft.

Can we agree that this is ultimately an issue that transcends politics?
Preseving our most innocent should trancend all, but it seems it will never happen as too many beleive a mother has the right to kill

In this country, it becomes a political issue because, under our Constitution, no one is required to believe what anyone else believes. It becomes a political issue because each individual citizen is free to formulate their own opinion, whether that opinion disagrees with you and your religious beliefs or not.

Can we agree that you and I wouldn’t be able to have an opinion on this issue if we had been aborted?
Yes

Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
  1. Can we agree that the number of abortions needs to be reduced?
  2. Can we border on caution when it comes to the question of when life begins?
  3. Can we agree that inconvenience is not a proper reason for an abortion?
  4. Can we speak to those of an opposite viewpoint without using hate speech?
  5. Can we choose to promote a culture of life?
  6. Can we encourage adoption, recognizing the many parents who would love and cherish a baby?
  7. Can we help teens see that abstinence is the best option and clearest way to avoid STDs, regret and abortions?
  8. Can we agree that there is no greater gift than life?
  9. Can we agree that this is ultimately an issue that transcends politics?
  10. Can we agree that you and I wouldn’t be able to have an opinion on this issue if we had been aborted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
It still bewilders me that people think that it's ok to dictate what a woman should do with her body based on their faiths and ideals. Freedom should have no boundaries especially those set based on an individuals religious beliefs.
tank it belwilders me that peoplethink they can justify a murder becausethe mother so chooses. It bewilders me how scott Peterson is in jail convicted of secodn degree murder of an unborn child, while the mother can kill and we can say its ok becasue she has a right to kill.
it bewilders me how we can take 49 million lives since roe versus wade and say it ok because the mothe rcan choose to kill.
Guess we will both stay bewildered

Old 05-19-2009, 10:15 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
tank it belwilders me that peoplethink they can justify a murder becausethe mother so chooses.
It's not murder. Not by any legal definition, anyways.

Quote:
It bewilders me how scott Peterson is in jail convicted of secodn degree murder of an unborn child, while the mother can kill and we can say its ok becasue she has a right to kill.
That law has very specific conditions to fufill in order to be enforced, which abortion does not qualify for. For example, viability. In most states, you cannot abort past the point of viablilty (such as the "partial birth abortions") unless the fetus is dying or the mother's life is in danger.

Quote:
it bewilders me how we can take 49 million lives since roe versus wade and say it ok because the mothe rcan choose to kill.
We take millions of lives every day.

It all depends on how much weight you give to what life.

To me, a life that is aborted in a first trimester abortion, where you cannot even tell the fetus apart from other tissue that is expelled, is about the same weight as a parasite.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:40 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,479,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
tank it belwilders me that peoplethink they can justify a murder becausethe mother so chooses. It bewilders me how scott Peterson is in jail convicted of secodn degree murder of an unborn child, while the mother can kill and we can say its ok becasue she has a right to kill.
Guess we will both stay bewildered
Was that unborn child in Scott Peterson's body? No, it was in another persons body and that person should have the choice to do as they please with their body, not YOU. Is it ok with you if I clip my fingernails or wash my hands? I'm killing cells. Should I have to run that past you? Try minding your own business when it comes to individuals right to do as they please with their body.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:08 PM

Default Langlen

Quote:
It's not murder. Not by any legal definition, anyways.

That law has very specific conditions to fufill in order to be enforced, which abortion does not qualify for. For example, viability. In most states, you cannot abort past the point of viablilty (such as the "partial birth abortions") unless the fetus is dying or the mother's life is in danger.

We take millions of lives every day.

It all depends on how much weight you give to what life.

To me, a life that is aborted in a first trimester abortion, where you cannot even tell the fetus apart from other tissue that is expelled, is about the same weight as a parasite.
if we found a one cell organism growing and developing on mars the headlines would read we have discovered life on mars. Yet we do not apply that standard and say its OK to kill because its inside a woman.
On Mars life in a woman not life.
Hypocrisy at its greatest.
Scott Peterson is in Jail for killing an unborn. So apparently the law does consider the unborn life. The argument is that a woman has the right to kill.
It is murder when you deny a being their right to live you have killed them

Old 05-19-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Was that unborn child in Scott Peterson's body? No, it was in another persons body and that person should have the choice to do as they please with their body, not YOU. Is it ok with you if I clip my fingernails or wash my hands? I'm killing cells. Should I have to run that past you? Try minding your own business when it comes to individuals right to do as they please with their body.
Your post did not change the fact thet Peterson is convicvted of second degree murder of an unborn. How can you on one hand claim a woman can do the same thing , remove deny life to an unborn but a man can be convicted of killing an unborn. And a woman is not performing the abortion on herself. You can stand behind your beleif a woman has the right to choose murder. Howeverr it is still murder, you deny someone life you have murdered. 49 million deaths since Roe versus Wade, it is my business to stand up for those 49 million not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies