Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,473 times

Advertisements

Once gay marriage is approve by all States...next will be three way marriage and under age marriage.
Only in America, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 11:06 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I find it odd that you have so many problems with the words "gay" and "straight" being used to define sexual orientation. Why do you have such problems?
If homosexuals think they are normal, why don't they refer to themselves as homosexuals instead of using the word "gay?"

Old 05-21-2009, 11:13 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Once gay marriage is approve by all States...next will be three way marriage and under age marriage.
Actually in Seven nations gay marriage already exists for all the states and provinces within these nations.

Belgium
Canada
Netherlands
Norway

South Africa
Spain
Sweden

Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
If homosexuals think they are normal, why don't they refer to themselves as homosexuals instead of using the word "gay?"
I didn't come up with the word "gay", but I accept that it's the most common word used to describe someone who identifies as homosexual. And I think most heterosexuals would call themselves "straight" before they'd use the word "heterosexual". It's just common language. I understand you don't accept it.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I didn't come up with the word "gay", but I accept that it's the most common word used to describe someone who identifies as homosexual. And I think most heterosexuals would call themselves "straight" before they'd use the word "heterosexual". It's just common language. I understand you don't accept it.
But why do I almost never hear a homosexual refer to himself by that word? Especially on this forum... they keep calling themselves "gay" "gay" gay" but very rarely "homosexual."

And I never refer to myself as "straight." I use the word "hetero," "heterosexual" or "regular."

Or, I just say "I like girls" then whoever I'm talking to knows what I mean.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
But why do I almost never hear a homosexual refer to himself by that word? Especially on this forum... they keep calling themselves "gay" "gay" gay" but very rarely "homosexual."
I can't explain everything about the nuance of language and how certain words fall into or out of favor, but my understanding is that the word "homosexual" was seen as too clinical. It was many decades ago that the preference for the word "gay" developed. The word "homosexual" was probably stigmatized from the beginning, so it makes sense that people wanted to avoid describing themselves that way.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
It's easier to type "gay" than "homosexual". Try it and see.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:47 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Not true. I live in the redneck quarter of SE Michigan. People would definitely prefer a gay guy move in next door over a black guy. Probably has something to do with property values. Besides, gays make more money than heterosexuals. So where's the discrimination? Can't reengineer the institution of Holy Matrimony to suit your needs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Oooohh, so you are racist as WELL as a homophobe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'll have to ask you to refrain from the epithets. You may disagree with me if you like, but use of the h-word is out of place in a civilized society.

Didn't we cover straw men earlier?

Perhaps next time you comment on one of my posts you could direct your thoughts to my comments instead of personally attacking me every time. Once in a while is OK, but you really don't seem to have an honest rebuttal to anything I've said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
The problem is that you don't like my rebuttals so you call them straw men and throw out words like "civilized" to insinuate something about my character.

It says a lot about your argument if you can't rebuttal for yourself without using euphemisms and false arguments.

Bottom line: Gay sex is not perverted anymore than straight sex. If you don't like to engage in anal intercourse, then don't. Two consenting adults who do engage in anal intercourse are not taking away your dinner or stealing your bill money so it really becomes none of your business.

I asked,

"So where's the discrimination? Can't reengineer the institution of Holy Matrimony to suit your needs?"

To which you replied,

"Oooohh, so you are racist as WELL as a homophobe?

Perhaps your unable to share my experience due to your privileged background. But when you say racist, I hear "whitey", and when you say homophobe, I hear "Nazi". I guess you are ignorant of the impact your slurs have on those you attack with your blind hate. I would like to be able to engage in a civil discussion without you spewing your blind anti-white heterosexual male bigotry.

The other point I would like to make is that if you don't have an intelligent response, please post elsewhere.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's easier to type "gay" than "homosexual". Try it and see.
One could just remove the letters "sexual" from "homosexual" and shorten it that way.
Of course anyone who does that would get branded as a "homophobe."

Old 05-22-2009, 02:50 AM

83 posts, read 142,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Riiiigggghhhttt, because any normal human being would make the jump from gay marriage to polygamy and pedophilia.

Are people really this unevolved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies