Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:23 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times

Advertisements

I say if anyone claims that waterboarding isn't torture, then THEY should be willing to be put to the test, otherwise, they are cowards. As much as I despise all that is Mancow and realize the he did this only for publicity (how the mighty have fallen), I will give him props for at least doing the deed.

So I say this ... come one Dick, come on Lez ... er I mean, Liz ... put up or shut up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 04:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
§ 2340. Definitions

As used in this chapter—
(1) “torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;
(2) “severe mental pain or suffering” means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from— (A) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering;
(B) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality;
(C) the threat of imminent death; or
(D) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality; and

(3) “United States” means the several States of the United States, the District of Columbia, and the commonwealths, territories, and possessions of the United States.

Clearly the law says these people were not "tortured"..

But hey, dont let that stand in your way of lies..
I think this describes waterboarding perfectly. I can't see how it doesn't.

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
You are wasting your breath on these guys. When its the Right, its wrong.

PS to the Left: do you remember a recent President arguing about the legal definition of "sex", "is", "are", "the", and "not" during his impeachment trial?
And Clinton's deposition at the hands of the dirty minded republican party has to do with waterboarding how? The Clinton sex report has to do with national security how? The Republican lead sexcapade investigation turned who into a terrorist?

dorko says what?

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I dunno, why don't you ask the radio guy.

You're projecting arguments on people that don't exist and are subsequently shooting them down because no one wants to argue with you in this thread.

Sidenote: Liberals aren't the only ones that don't like torture! Surprise!
Dont need to, the thread is about an OPINION, and OPINIONS dont rule the laws.. Even if you wish that they do..

Remember, I started by simply saying.. Ooh lets quote it..
Quote:
Still waiting for someone on the left to post something other than an OPINION.
Your the one who brought up that he was a conservative, as if thats important.. the fact that his OPINION changed means NOTHING..

Old 05-22-2009, 04:26 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
How do you know what I wish smart guy? I'm the one that's trying to keep this thread on the tracks.

If you know me so well... what's my favorite color??

I didn't bring it up, it was in the article? It's a fact I thought you would like that

You're the one that keeps trying to argue about legality in a thread about some conservative talking head getting waterboarded for 6 seconds then crying like baby.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think this describes waterboarding perfectly. I can't see how it doesn't.
Quote:
§ 2340. Definitions

As used in this chapter—
(1) “torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;
(2) “severe mental pain or suffering” means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from— (A) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering;
(B) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality;
(C) the threat of imminent death; or
(D) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality; and

(3) “United States” means the several States of the United States, the District of Columbia, and the commonwealths, territories, and possessions of the United States. .
1) No intent to cause several physical or mental pain, nor does it cause either, it causes several discomfort and disorients individuals, no pain
2) Prolonged mental harm, the proceedure lasts 14 seconds, NOT prolonged,
2C, throws it out completely, no threat of immediate death,

In order to meet the LEGAL definition, there has to be intent.. I didnt write the law, I dont support the way its written, however I dont have to agree with how its written to understand thats the way it is and if you want it changed, you need to ask DEMOCRATS to change it, they are after all the ones yelling and screaming about it, AND they have ALL of the power to change it TODAY, instead of grandstanding about it..

Old 05-22-2009, 04:32 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Fact: Waterboarding used in the Spanish Inquisition to elicit false confessions.

Fact: Waterboarding used by Japanese soldiers in WWII to elicit false confessions.

Fact: Waterboarding used by Khmer Rouge to elicit false confessions.

The problem with you is that if a liberal President did this, you would call it torture.
Liberal Presidents did waterboard our own military, with congressional approval, beginning with LBJ, and included both Carter and Clinton. The SERE waterboard training went on for 30 years, from 1964 through 1994 before it was discontinued.

Funny how all you liberal freaks never claimed it was "torture" while it was being performed on our own military for 30 years. Only when terrorists who try to kill Americans are subjected to waterboarding does it suddenly become "torture." How predictably hypocritical and expected from the anti-American left.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
How do you know what I wish smart guy? I'm the one that's trying to keep this thread on the tracks.
Funny that you claim that, right before asking me
Quote:
If you know me so well... what's my favorite color??
I didnt think the thread was about your favorite color
Quote:
I didn't bring it up, it was in the article? It's a fact I thought you would like that

You're the one that keeps trying to argue about legality in a thread about some conservative talking head getting waterboarded for 6 seconds then crying like baby.
I clearly discussed the fact that a conservative changing his OPINION means NOTHING, it does nto support the argument that its NOW torture. No matter how many times you pretend that it has ANY relevance to ANYTHING, it doesnt..

Old 05-22-2009, 04:34 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
And Clinton's deposition at the hands of the dirty minded republican party has to do with waterboarding how? The Clinton sex report has to do with national security how? The Republican lead sexcapade investigation turned who into a terrorist?

dorko says what?

In both instances the argument is over the legal defenition of the "crime". The Left accused Bush of torture, but cannot cite a legal statute that is applicable. The Left cries "foul".

Clinton has "sex" with an intern then claims he is really innocent of perjury because the definition of "sex" is not clear. The Left shouts "Yeah!".

Old 05-22-2009, 04:34 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
I hope it is as terrible as Mancow says. Then we know for sure it's the tool we need to be using.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies