Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 07:19 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Wow Boiseguy I have to say I agree with you! rep for you!
Well of course you do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Thousands and thousands of small group Bible studies take place in the homes of people all over this country every day. I know of very few churches that do not have such small group Bible studies. I have never before heard of someone trying to force those who host such groups into getting a license or permit to have a group of friends come to their private homes for such an occasion. And if, as some have suggested, it were just a matter of parking or 15 people creating a "fire hazard" then there would have been no reason for the official to have questioned the home owner about what religious practices were going on.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:23 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
My mother happens to be a pastor, so I know a little something about this topic.

To the state the church is a building. It's not the congregation. However, the state doesn't distinguish the two separately from one another. In their mind if you are congregating together and practicing religion, with people convening to a building, it's the same as a church, meaning it's subject to the same law as an actual church building.

I'm not justifying it, I'm explaining what the mindset was here in response to the wild theory that they were charging them to practice religion against the Constitution. They're not. No Constitutional rights were violated. They can practice religion all they want - PERSONAL religion, not hosted religion. If you want to host religion on a regular basis, that's a church...and you have to pay for it same as a church. Even if you're only doing bible study. The state neither understands nor cares about whether you're just reading and talking about the Bible or actually preaching. If such a law did not exist, they would have tons of actual church sessions going on in houses with them not paying for permits or taxes, parking would be nightmarish in neighborhoods, and people would complain.

Again, I'm just explaining the mindset.
Good to hear from some one with actual knowledge (not blog 'fact') on the subject.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:25 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Thousands and thousands of small group Bible studies take place in the homes of people all over this country every day. I know of very few churches that do not have such small group Bible studies. I have never before heard of someone trying to force those who host such groups into getting a license or permit to have a group of friends come to their private homes for such an occasion. And if, as some have suggested, it were just a matter of parking or 15 people creating a "fire hazard" then there would have been no reason for the official to have questioned the home owner about what religious practices were going on.
Thankyou for this post.. this is my stance as well... I don't understand the legal authority in concerning itself with the religious practices taking place... but if they wanted to address parking, traffic, noise.. it certainly would be valid...

Old 05-23-2009, 07:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
What has that got to do with Christianity???? Obviously, you are illiterate, when it comes to Bible knowledge. God destroyed a number of different peoples that were evil. He once gave instructions to kill every living thing. Leave nothing. That meant, women, children, all livestock...everything.

So, I ask again: What has his comment got to do with Christianity?
There you go, making assumptions. I was raised Baptist/Pentecostal. I've read the Bible many times.

Read the comment again, and try to figure it out on your own, unless you are illiterate and can only read the word "Christian" and have your own knee-jerk reaction to it.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:46 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Well of course you do!
actually miborn and I almost NEVER AGREE... in fact many of our views are generally totally opposite...

Old 05-23-2009, 08:05 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
It's 15 people, once a week in a house. 15 people! I'm sure many, many homes in San Diego have more then that every Sunday to watch the Chargers game. Where's the county official's complaints on that one?

Oh, and who's the dufus that made this bizarre distinction between "personal religion" and "hosted religion?" What nonsense.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:05 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Persecution complex anyone?

"If the current trends in our nation continue, churches may be forced underground. If that happens, believers will once again be forced to meet in homes. If homes are already closed by the government to assembly and worship, where then will Christians meet?"

This is from the lawyer hired by the homeowners. What is more likely--what the lawyer describes or that neighbors were tired of cars lining the street and the occasional blocking of the sidewalk?

Old 05-23-2009, 08:07 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
It's 15 people, once a week in a house. 15 people!
"Approximately 15 people"

Old 05-23-2009, 08:34 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post

Home: No place for Bible study
County demands pastor obtain $10,000 permit to host friends

She says she was then told, however, that she must stop holding "religious assemblies" until she and her husband obtain a Major Use Permit from the county, a permit that often involves traffic and environmental studies, compliance with parking and sidewalk regulations and costs that top tens of thousands of dollars.

Home: No place for Bible study
From looking at SD County major use permits:
County of San Diego: Major Use Permit
and
The Applicants Guide to Major Use Permits:http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/dplu/docs/510.pdf

it would look like they would have done either some structure modifications or property usage modifications, so the whole "religious" sideshow would seem to be bogus.

A major use permit is not obtained for a 'assembly or meetings'. It is for land uses with special site or design requirements.
Building modifications. Turning your backyard into a pond or paved parking lot. Using a residential property for a commercial use.

Of course, that is not what those who are outraged, want to hear.

Last edited by plannine; 05-23-2009 at 08:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies