Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 11:56 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Welfare, and support networks are for EMERGENCY needs ONLY. You lose my support when it turns into a way of life. And dont dare bring the "children neglected, starving on the streets" bs because we still have that, the homeless numbers have not decreased as the social programs gone up, and povery in america still exist after spending tens of trillions on getting rid of it..

yeah..there are still homeless.. most tend to be mentally ill or drug addicts in NYC.. and for those people there is no realy help at all.

You really have no clue about the otherside of life. I dn't have to walk on the other side to empathize. I have NEVER been nor willI ever be someone on welfare. . I come from a nice middle class family whose father was college educated and worked his ass off! But I will NOT sit there and pretend that I know anything about what someone else in a class below me goes through, does or doesn't do to try and change their situation.

But.. if it helps YOU sleep better at night to think that they are there because they are "lazy" you go right ahead but you couldn't be more wrong.. maybe someday youll see that.

You can't be prejudice toward a prejudice.. btw.. that makes no sense. You can be prejudice against a person or a group of persons. but in this case, you statement is just..well nonsensical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
yeah..there are still homeless.. most tend to be mentally ill or drug addicts in NYC.. and for those people there is no realy help at all.

You really have no clue about the otherside of life. I dn't have to walk on the other side to empathize. I have NEVER been nor willI ever be someone on welfare. . I come from a nice middle class family whose father was college educated and worked his ass off! But I will NOT sit there and pretend that I know anything about what someone else in a class below me goes through, does or doesn't do to try and change their situation.

But.. if it helps YOU sleep better at night to think that they are there because they are "lazy" you go right ahead but you couldn't be more wrong.. maybe someday youll see that.
I HAVE BEEN HOMELESS.. Due to laziness and being ilresponsible, made bad choices, paid for those choices and learned from them because I was allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I HAVE BEEN HOMELESS.. Due to laziness and being ilresponsible, made bad choices, paid for those choices and learned from them because I was allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.

Great..YOu were lazy and YOu made bad choices. Does not mean that everyone that is is because of the same reasons you were

I'm not saying there aren't people out there like that.. but I won't ASSume things I don't know.. which you are.

every situation is unique and there is no fast or hard rule of how someone is or ends up in that position. To think there is is foolish.

BTW.. not all people that are rich actually worked to get that way.. yet society ASSumes that becaue they have it they must have somehow earned it or deserved it.. and we all know that is not true.. .. that same truth holds true for the Poor or any situation.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:24 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Not true.. some condo's DO require review of a potential persons earnings etc. Those who buy condo's tend to have hidden cash resources or assets. BTW.. CONDOS are MORE expensive than Coops!

And those that are renting are quite often asked to show assets and resuorces in order to rent in NYC. Unless they are living in Greenwhich Village in a closet with a communal bathroom. Or a complete dump. Believe me.. 6 figure earners like we are refering to are NOT living in buildings in which no assets are required (rent or otherwise)

I believe the bailouts shouldn't be occurring.. Because at the end everyone always wants to cut social programs. Sorry.. those CEO's could return their unearned ridiculous bonuses to their companies instead.. they don't deserve it because they tanked the company!! They should have never recieved the bailouts to begin with. My point being that if we didn't hand out those bailouts to the CORPORATIONS, we wouldn't be discussing the raising of taxes (atleast on a national level). This has never ocurred in history and is NOT a "normal" social program like WIC, Food stamps. etc.
What programs do you think we cut. Do you think we give out less food stamps or WIC to feed children? Do we cut elderly medicare or medicaid? Talk about a healthcare crisis if that occurs. What exactly in the "social programs" do you suggest be cut without dire consequences. Streamlined and trimmed, maybe.. but cut? NO... what.. so that hte CEO can keep collecting his ridiculous salary and his job be saved?

What it all comes down to is that now we have to pay for the Corporate bailouts. You're right.. the wealthy would rather cut programs that keep housing over peoples heads, food in poor childrens belly, education.. all those other things than god forbid pay more in taxes. Like I said, if I made the income we're talking about I wouldn't complain because I'd rather pay more in taxes (becaues we can't go back and take the money back that we already sent the Corporations) than hurt the social programs that so many need.

Income tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1982-86 Top bracket was at 50% 87 - 33% , 2003 - 2009 35%

The tax rate at the top was 94% 1944-45 and was pretty high through the 60's.

I'm not saying that we should ever approach that type of level, nor am I saying it's acceptable.. but historically we are not high in comparison.

REally..taxes are keeping "equality" of outcome AS if a family on welfare or medicaid is really living equal to someone in the top tax brackets LOL.. that's a laugh... or even recieving the same level of medical care, or the same level of living quaters. They shouldn't be.. you're right. .and they are not.. not by a long shot.

No one is saying that taxes are meant to make everything "equal". . however, it benefits EVERYONE in our nation as a society when we keep the poorest of our populations from living on the streets, doing their business in the gutters.. and dying of hunger on the streets. We shouldn't allow our elderly to waste away because they are on fixed incomes and can't afford our high priced medical care in this country. It's why we have social programs. .. not to "level" the playing field.. NOT BY A LONG SHOT! We also have programs to help people lift themselves OUT of the situations they are in. Some do not and do take advantage.. but for the most part there are people who do truly need it.. that for one reason or another do not have the capacity to get themselves out of the situation. But they are STILL human beings. There is NO THREAT to the wealthy that they will EVER be "equal" or living equally as someone in a higher tax bracket.

Bottom line.. our country is in hard times right now.. and so sacrafices are going to have to be made ALL AROUND. Those that have more to sacrafice are going to have to sacrafice more than someone who has nothing left to sacrafice. EVERYONE is hurting on EVERY level.. but I guarantee you those with the higher tax brackets are hurting FAR LESS than someone that has NOTHING or next to it.. or the middle class family with very little disposable income... nor many resources available to them to make their income grow.

Social programs NEED to be fixed so that they don't bleed money wastefully..but certainly not cut.[/quote]

Very few condos so as not require mentioning require board approval. You couldn't be more wrong about which is more expensive. Look at the prices and Common charges for coops. I rent ina luxury building and was not asked for anything. All they do is check your credit rating. Not assets in the bank etc.

The only sacrifices are buy the people with money any way you slice it the top 20% of wage earners pay 80% of the taxes and that is not fair. No of those things you mention are happeneing or are in danger of happening.

By the way what happens when income tax rates are cut, IRS revenue increases. SO if you are really concerned for the poor you should be advocating income tax cuts.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:25 PM

Condos square footage price is more than a coops so the are more expensive. Common charges are less but then taxes are paid seperate from common charges. In a coop maintenance includes that apt tax contribution to the bldgs taxes based on shares owned which is determined by apt size and desirability. Ex: high floor higher value and prob more shares

Old 05-25-2009, 06:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
yeah..there are still homeless..
And, there always will be the homeless population.

Nothing we can do can eradicate homelessness.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:14 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Red face See what happens when you raise taxes?

Millionaires Go Missing - WSJ.com

Old 05-26-2009, 12:16 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
That will be all of America in a couple years after Obaminhood comes knocking at the door with his 8000 new IRS employees.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:17 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Yeah, the economy and stock market going downhill has nothing to do with missing millionaires.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
last week I posted a link about New York, this week Maryland, liberals response will be.

Well if we increase taxes EVERYWHERE, they will have no where to go..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies