Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know someone who is gay or lesbian and do you support marriage equality?
Yes I know someone who is gay or lesbian and I support marriage equality 47 72.31%
I do not know someone who is gay or lesbian and I don't support marriage equality 1 1.54%
I don't know someone who is gay or lesbian and I support marriage equality 1 1.54%
I know someone who is gay or lesbian and I don't support marriage equality 15 23.08%
No one is gay or lesbian, they are just a heterosexual on the wrong path 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
One minute people want the government out of their bedrooms and say who they have sex with is no concern of the government -- the next thing they want the government back in their business, blessing their sex lives. Why not just keep the government out of it?
Silly!!!!

They want the government involved when it is in their favor.

As to the OP,I know dozens of gays,mostly men.
And I do not support same sex marriage as it is currently being pushed.

I DO favor gays being married in churches that allow it as I do not believe the government should be involved in the marriage business at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,874 times
Ummm. I will only speak for California but Civil Unions/Domestic Partnerships give you marriage equality in the state. You just can't have the word. You get everything else, all rights and privilages as that of opposite sex couples.

It's my hope that all the other states of the union which still harbor gay biases will follow our progressive CA policies and provide my gay friends the same rights and privilages as that of opposite sex couples.

Last edited by mossomo; 05-27-2009 at 01:12 AM..

Old 05-27-2009, 01:24 AM

530 posts, read 650,409 times
I know alot of GLBT peoples. I also know that our constitution says that all men are created equal therefore shouldnt they be granted the same rights? As far as where they can and can't marry, I'm sure most GLBT wouldn't care where they married as long as they had the freedom to choose!

Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
One minute people want the government out of their bedrooms and say who they have sex with is no concern of the government -- the next thing they want the government back in their business, blessing their sex lives. Why not just keep the government out of it?
I'm all for the government being out of the marriage business completely but do you really see that happening? Honestly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
an important point.

do civil unions qualify?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Silly!!!!

They want the government involved when it is in their favor.

As to the OP,I know dozens of gays,mostly men.
And I do not support same sex marriage as it is currently being pushed.

I DO favor gays being married in churches that allow it as I do not believe the government should be involved in the marriage business at all.
What about gays and lesbians who don't want to be married in a church? I know I'd much rather get married in a public restroom than be married in a church.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
I personally know two lesbians and two gay guys. I do not support homosexual marriage and neither do they. They live very low key lives and agree that traditional marriage is the foundation of society.

Both those are couples.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
No
Is it different if you feel that civil unions should have all the benefits of marriage?

Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

What about gays and lesbians who don't want to be married in a church? I know I'd much rather get married in a public restroom than be married in a church.
Sucks for you.Start your own church.

You want government involvement and deciding matters or not?

Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Is it different if you feel that civil unions should have all the benefits of marriage?
No.
Separate isn't equal in my mind.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:08 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,572 times
I'm gay and If you do not know anyone who is, I'd be happy to introduce myself.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:13 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
The funny thing is the gay friends I have dont even want to be able to get married. They understand that " marriage" if for a man and a women. They support civil unions

They are also democrat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies