Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:59 AM

283 posts, read 522,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
Without facts, it is impossible to call this a racist crime.

Fact - there has never been any white-on-white cop shootings in the history of the NYPD. Not one.

You assume the white cop shot him from stereotyping. What is so hard to figure out that the gentleman was in street clothes carrying a gun.

...that wasn't pointed at the on-duty cops.

Take race out of this. How many black officers have shot white men for the same thing?

None. Not One.

How many cops have shot perps or assumed perps for turning with what they thought was a weapon?

Plenty, and all were white shooting non-white people.

I think this was a horrible horrible accident. I certainly hope it was not truly racist. If it was, they should string him up by the sack imho. If it was not, do you not think this young man will be punishing himself for the rest of his life for killing a collegue?
Lol, as someone said in the Daily News comment boards, black cops are useless to the NYPD other than for PR and drug investigations. I think it's just as silly to pretend the shooting cop is some kind of innocent tormented emotional wreck as it is to assume he's a trigger happy racist. More than anything though, I bet he's more concerned about his own career and future than the man he killed AND that he & those around him will play psychological denial and pretend like this **** was justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 11:57 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,390,394 times
I guess I'm just in the minority here but oh well if it makes you all feel better to believe it was racially motivated than go for it. At the end of the day, it doesn't bring back the deceased. My main issue with the whole thing, aside from the death, was the way the media presented it. White cop kills black cop. They know that half of the people who hear that aren't going to seek the details to find out what happened or even care; they're just going to hear that another white man killed a black man and here they come:Sean Bell, Jenna 6, Rodney King - oh the white man done got us again.

There was a Hispanic officer shot by another officer at a football game at my college. Not one article mentioned race. Not on reporter went into the ghetto to find a Spanish person who could barely put together a sentence and ask for their thoughts; have you seen some of the people their interviewing about this incident? They don't even live in NY - why are they even relevant?

From my first read of the story it sounded like an accident - but I did wonder why he shot 6 times. But I was reserving judgment until I got more details. Unfortunately most people don't do that - "oh a white guy killed a black guy. He must be racist" what's hysterical to me is that if the media was even to so much as hint that because a person was black they must be guilty you'd have a riot.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:03 PM

974 posts, read 1,588,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
PS: I've never heard of a so called White Amadou Diallo (sp?) or Sean Bell incident ANYWHERE in this country in HISTORY. You're open to prove me wrong however.

Well of course you haven't. That was just accidents. I mean why would it be racist if a black/hispanic shot a white cop. It was an accident. However "Whitey" is out to get you minorities aren't they. The media will not report those incidents, they will not sell newspapers. Although if a white cop kills a hispanic/black perp/assumed perp, it is instantly racially charged.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:55 PM

657 posts, read 1,633,584 times
Quote:
Well of course you haven't. That was just accidents. I mean why would it be racist if a black/hispanic shot a white cop. It was an accident. However "Whitey" is out to get you minorities aren't they. The media will not report those incidents, they will not sell newspapers. Although if a white cop kills a hispanic/black perp/assumed perp, it is instantly racially charged.
Ohhh I get it, there are so called Black and Hispanic cops running around America committing mass murders against so called White cops, but it's just not getting reported.....riiiiiiight .

To use your own theory against you, if you understood journalism you would know that it would make more sense to report it in the news as opposed to hiding it, because it would show that the trend is not racially motivated and merely accidental. The media has always been against so called minorities, so why would it change now? Sorry, but your conspiracy theory just doesn't hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones
I guess I'm just in the minority here but oh well if it makes you all feel better to believe it was racially motivated than go for it. At the end of the day, it doesn't bring back the deceased. My main issue with the whole thing, aside from the death, was the way the media presented it. White cop kills black cop. They know that half of the people who hear that aren't going to seek the details to find out what happened or even care; they're just going to hear that another white man killed a black man and here they come: Sean Bell, Jenna 6, Rodney King - oh the white man done got us again.
...And there are HUNDREDS upon THOUSANDS more incidents that you haven't named where the oppressor is a so called White person and the victim is a so called Black person. Once again, why is this the case 99% of the time? Does this not maybe imply that race is a motivator or are you blind in your third eye?

So an innocent person (so called Black) gets murdered by the NYPD (so called White, which is a consistant reoccuring event) and the MAIN concern you have is the news article ? Again, EVENTUALLY the information would've gotten out about the color of the officers involved and the average person would've connected the dots.

Quote:
There was a Hispanic officer shot by another officer at a football game at my college. Not one article mentioned race. Not on reporter went into the ghetto to find a Spanish person who could barely put together a sentence and ask for their thoughts; have you seen some of the people their interviewing about this incident? They don't even live in NY - why are they even relevant?
That comment right there tells me more about your psyche.

OBVIOUSLY, if this is ANOTHER INCIDENT OF POLICE BRUTATLITY against so called Blacks in this country, doesn't that affect so called blacks and people EVERYWHERE in this country???

Quote:
From my first read of the story it sounded like an accident - but I did wonder why he shot 6 times. But I was reserving judgment until I got more details. Unfortunately most people don't do that - "oh a white guy killed a black guy. He must be racist" what's hysterical to me is that if the media was even to so much as hint that because a person was black they must be guilty you'd have a riot.
On what do you base this? There have been hundreds of incidents of police brutality towards so called Blacks and Hispanics in this city and when was the last riot? I believe it was 1993/4 sometime (if my memory serves me right). The most recent and serious of these incidents was the Sean Bell murder and there was NO RIOT. So once again, where is your foundation .

Last edited by justfarr1030; 05-30-2009 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Messed up on the "Quotes"

Old 05-30-2009, 03:29 PM

974 posts, read 1,588,736 times
Well I can see that I am getting nowhere in this. So I will politely bow out. Of course it was racism, I mean "whitey" killed a man of color. That is the take I am getting. So I am bowing out. I hope "power to the people" and all that jazz comes back for you racially oppressed. I am glad that you are a minority in your own racial group. For those of color that can see the world as equal rather than "white vs black" I salute you.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:49 PM

567 posts, read 1,447,035 times
Quote:
For those of color that can see the world as equal rather than "white vs black" I salute you.
this country or world for that matter will never be equal. i find it funny how some people think that after 50 years of blacks having rights, that racism is none existent. amazing. in less than 50 years blacks went from being lynched to being equal. EVERY minority group experiences hatred and prejudice. be it muslims (in this country), homosexuals, blacks or mexicans etc. i feel bad for the pathetic people who think we are all equal. its always going to be one group against another.

Last edited by GDK94; 05-30-2009 at 04:14 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 04:48 PM

639 posts, read 1,143,709 times
Get ready Natalya...you are disagreeing with some black people so you will now be called stupid, an "aunt tom" or some other racially divisive term because you have an OPINION!!!! Sad isn't it??!! I give you credit for looking at the situation before fanning racial hatred be you black, white, hispanic, or asian. In today's world it takes ALOT of courage to stand up and say "I disagree" when the vast majority of people believe something to be true.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:49 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,444,328 times
I feel sorry for those who actually believe it was Officer Edwards fault for what happened. This investigation is already a joke, first of all why haven't the police questioned the officer who did the shooting, wouldn't you want to get his account of things first, and second, why the hell are you interviewing the guy who broke into officer edwards car, what did he see, he was to busy running; trying to keep his behind out of jail. The fix is on, as always...

Old 05-30-2009, 04:52 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,444,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
A Black person who agrees to be a plainclothes officer is pretty much signing their own death certificate.
Yes, this is unfortunately true, however, this is the way cops get ahead, in hopes of one day making detective.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,988,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
As a former NYPD Police Officer I laugh at some of the suggestions made by the people that have never been in law enforcement who don't know what a cop goes through day in and day out. You often hear the following:
1) Why not use rubber bullets......I don't even want to answer this one....the bad guys use real bullets and cops are not paid enough to not be on equal footing with bad guys.....most of us have wives and children and would gladly sacrafice ourselves to keep a civilian safe but to "underarm" yourself with rubber bullets and put you in a situation where you are overmatched before even beginning an armed confrontation is ludicrous.
2) Why couldn't they have just shot the gun out of his hand, OR, why couldn't they have just shot him in the leg.....another funny one. Cops are taught to shoot center mast in almost every case because that is the area that will neutralize a threat the fastest. At times, if someone is wearing heavy duty body armor (think the L.A. bank robbery some years ago) you may take head shots if an armed offender does not go down after shooting him center mast becasuse he/she is wearing body armor.

This is a TERRIBLE tragedy and accident. My heart goes out to the family of the off duy MOS who it appears was a good cop that took police action even when off duty. The officers that shot and killed him will have to live with it for the rest of their lives and I KNOW their intention before they put on their guns and vests that night was not to go out and KILL anyone. Unless you have walked in a Police Officer's shoes, you will NEVER know what you would do in that split second when ANYONE, white, black, brown, yellow, or purple turns on you with a firearm in their hands and you have to decide in that same split second whether you will go home to your family that night.......God Bless all involved and the off duty officer's family.
Thank you for the rational post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies