Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are "wise Latinas" better decision makers than white men
Yes 42 21.54%
No 31 15.90%
That's a racist remark 106 54.36%
Other 10 5.13%
Not sure 6 3.08%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:46 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times

Advertisements

What's a wise latina?

I'll be here all week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 02:59 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
I really hope Sonja got her self a wise Latina orthopedic doctor to look at her ankle, their conclusions are so much better then those white male doctors could ever hope for.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:09 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What does the color of her skin and her socio-economic upbringing have to do with her qualifications? I never said those were her qualifications. President Obama never said those were her qualifications. They might be considered qualities, they aren't considered qualifications.
So if someone asks another judge, 'What are your qualities?' and then answer is, "One of my qualities is that I'm white." then that would be ok?

If that happened then we should just gloss over it because it was just something that was said a long time ago and had nothing to do with any rulings? Wow, you know, I put that shoe on the other foot and it just doesn't fit.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:00 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
lmao

Old 06-10-2009, 07:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
So if someone asks another judge, 'What are your qualities?' and then answer is, "One of my qualities is that I'm white." then that would be ok?

If that happened then we should just gloss over it because it was just something that was said a long time ago and had nothing to do with any rulings? Wow, you know, I put that shoe on the other foot and it just doesn't fit.
Wow, you know, you can stubbornly persist in your delusion that Sotomayor is a racist, a meme that the Republican party has been rapidly backpeddling away from, or you can actually take a long, hard look at the many decisions she has handed down from the bench. You can read her judicial opinions. You might even consider that she is one of the most cited judges on the appeals courts. And let me know when you find a single ruling of hers with racist overtones.

In the meantime, the qualities of being a minority are not in the fact of the minority status, but in the experience.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:58 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If that was a white guy saying "whites are better decision makers" it would be all over for him within 24 hours.
Actually, you are only partly correct. The (D) at the end of your name grants at least partial immunity....certainly from the NAACP.

In respone to Marine Cap....
Translate Raza into English | Spanish to English Translation

La Raza could mean the human race....where La Raza Hispanola or La Raza Blanca etc. would be more specific to a specific race. At worst it's about the same as say...."Korean Headline News" or "Russian News Service" but it's not all the scary.

Heck, they have "dutch days" where I grew up.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:01 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Wow, you know, you can stubbornly persist in your delusion that Sotomayor is a racist, a meme that the Republican party has been rapidly backpeddling away from, or you can actually take a long, hard look at the many decisions she has handed down from the bench. You can read her judicial opinions. You might even consider that she is one of the most cited judges on the appeals courts. And let me know when you find a single ruling of hers with racist overtones.

In the meantime, the qualities of being a minority are not in the fact of the minority status, but in the experience.
Unless she makes a major gaffe she will be confirmed. Comments made during the "kangaroo confirmation" are either to raise money or get publicity. How many of you die hard republicans or dems have already started getting mailings about how you need to Support\Fight her confirmation because it will help\hurt abortion? SEND MONEY NOW! LOL.

Ka-ching! Rattle the cages of the straight-ticket loyalists to get $$$$. This is what happened with Roberts....just grandstanding for fund-raising.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:01 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,897,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually, you are only partly correct. The (D) at the end of your name grants at least partial immunity....certainly from the NAACP.
lol

Old 06-10-2009, 06:32 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,539 times
Quote:

She definitely made a racist comment. Whether or not one comment makes her a racist is up for debate.

The point is that if white person had made the same comments that Sotamayor did then those comments alone would be enough to get him/her disqualified from even being considered for the Supreme Court.

I suspect people would be quick to attack a white judge who made those comments because they wouldn't feel the judge would be capable of making non-racist rulings. The white judge would have been quickly deemed a racist and anything else that came out of the person's mouth would have been considered nonsense.

Now that there's a real possibility that a Latina might (and probably will) make the Supreme Court it's just amazing how people are willing to turn a blind eye to whatever she's said in the past and just do whatever it takes to get her on the bench.

Can you honestly tell me that you would be equally supportive of a white judge if he/she had ever said this?

I am delighted to have been here tonight and extend once again my deepest gratitude to all of you for listening and letting me share my reflections on being a White voice on the bench.

This is her exact quote but replacing Latina with White. When a Latina says it she's just sharing her life experiences but when a White says it then it's racist.

What a double standard that is.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I really hope Sonja got her self a wise Latina orthopedic doctor to look at her ankle, their conclusions are so much better then those white male doctors could ever hope for.
Animal Control should not have been chasing her with nets. If they had used ketamine and a tranquilizer dart gun this entire unfortunate incident could have been avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies