Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,322,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
$68/barrel is not exactly $150, which it was last summer.

Keep driving that Hummer and complaining, nobody cares
High gas prices only impact Hummer drivers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:45 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,203,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
High gas prices only impact Hummer drivers?
And you can keep driving your Chevy Chevette

Old 06-05-2009, 06:50 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,114,949 times
well i dont drive a hummer, i do own 2 f-250's (for my construction business) and at the currect prices (2.57) vs the price we had a month or so ago ($2) it is costing a MINIMUM of $110 MORE per week just to drive and check jobs. now 110 doesnt sound like much in a business environment but my dad has 18 trucks it is costing about $1000 EXTRA a week. that means he has to find at least 1 EXTRA foundation a week to cover his cost.

GM CEO Wagoner forced out by White House :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: 44: Barack Obama (http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1501561,w-obama-gm-wagoner032909.article - broken link)
i would say obama has/had GM under his thumb a while ago.
"YOU'RE FIRED"

and with the govt owning 60+% of the company i would say the govt can do as it pleases. i guess gm will start hitting the hybrid market a lot harder now. LMAO @ global warming.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,203,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
McCain camp hits Obama on gas prices - First Read - msnbc.com

The last statement in bold is more telling now that Obama's Adminstration has GM under their thumb.
Right, GM was in GREAT shape before Obama came in and messed them all up

Gas was ten cents before Obama came in, right?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,858,443 times
What happens when GM (Government Motors; owned 60% by the Feds) starts making all these small "green" cars that consumers do not want? People will be buying Honda's and Toyota's rather than some GM smartcar clone. The Feds will realize that they have a problem and will increase the gas tax to get people to buy the cars that they make. It will conserve energy, fight global warming, save jobs, etc... Put on a $4/gallon tax as they have in Europe and the price of gas to use becomes $6 per gallon. That would be enough to kill the sale of any new car that does not get 40 MPG and to get people with inefficient cars to trade them in or take a tax credit in a clunkers for cash deal..

Old 06-05-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Right, GM was in GREAT shape before Obama came in and messed them all up

Gas was ten cents before Obama came in, right?
Who said Obama is responsible for high gas prices or GM's demise?
Quote:

Keep driving that Hummer and complaining, nobody cares
Do high gas prices only impact Hummer drivers?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:08 AM

852 posts, read 1,358,972 times
I don't have a problem with higher gas prices. Consider the fact that what we pay for gas is significantly less than many (if not all) countries in the world. Since we consume the most gas, we contribute the most to global warming. If higher gas prices can reduce our dependency on gas (and our dependency on foreign oil), I'm all for it. It will spur other types of fuels and ultimately make us a safer country.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:11 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,620,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
What happens when GM (Government Motors; owned 60% by the Feds) starts making all these small "green" cars that consumers do not want? People will be buying Honda's and Toyota's rather than some GM smartcar clone.
What happens when the GM starts making a product the people do want?

People buy it.

You think GM made gas guzzlers the people didn't want? lol...
No R & D department spends a billion dollars over a decade on products it doesn't think it can sell.

Folks already buy Honda and Toyota's BETTER product's, if GM makes a better product perhaps they can reclaim their market share.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
I don't have a problem with higher gas prices. Consider the fact that what we pay for gas is significantly less than many (if not all) countries in the world. Since we consume the most gas, we contribute the most to global warming. If higher gas prices can reduce our dependency on gas (and our dependency on foreign oil), I'm all for it. It will spur other types of fuels and ultimately make us a safer country.
Congratulations, your indoctrination is now complete.
Now go forth and celebrate with a big ole pitcher of Kool Aid.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,114,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
What happens when GM (Government Motors; owned 60% by the Feds) starts making all these small "green" cars that consumers do not want? People will be buying Honda's and Toyota's rather than some GM smartcar clone. The Feds will realize that they have a problem and will increase the gas tax to get people to buy the cars that they make. It will conserve energy, fight global warming, save jobs, etc... Put on a $4/gallon tax as they have in Europe and the price of gas to use becomes $6 per gallon. That would be enough to kill the sale of any new car that does not get 40 MPG and to get people with inefficient cars to trade them in or take a tax credit in a clunkers for cash deal..
this will also kill construction and new home sales. (kind of the main reason we are in this mess in the 1st place?) think about this, raising fuel to $6 would raise the cost of absolutely EVERY consumable material, construction material, food product and so on.

lets see, in concrete, we have the fuel to trucking/railling raw materials to a batch plant (rock, cement, fly ash, etc..) then there is the fuel to mix teh materials, the fuel to deliver the readymix to the job site, the fuel for the concrete finishers to get to the job, the fuel costs for a pump truck to pump the concrete into the foundation. in early 2007 i was paying about $50-55 per yard (depending on company) it jumped to the upper 60's by early 2008 then all the way up to low 80's in the summer of 2008, we are paying low 70's now. (i did pay 82.50 on a slab earlier this week but it was way out of town). on top of these costs, EVERY supplier has been charging a fuel surcharge to help off set their costs. talking to one of my supliers, he is paying ABOUT $6500 a day on fuel for ready mix trucks, last august he was spending $13000 A DAY for those same trucks.

when every trade, every supplier has to charge more to the builder because of fuel expenses, the builder has no choice but to incrase the sales price of their homes. this will ABSOLUTELY kill the new home construction sales and put a LOT of people out of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies