Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Who said Obama is responsible for high gas prices or GM's demise?
Thread title: "Obama wants 'high gas prices'" (dont ask me why the quotation marks)

GM's demise: ? No one was talking about Obama being responsible for GM's demise. The GM reference in this thread is yours: "The last statement in bold is more telling now that Obama's Adminstration has GM under their thumb".

Quote:
Do high gas prices only impact Hummer drivers?
? The OP is focusing on how the evil Obama is affecting her own personal comfort level:
Four bucks a gallon, we have learned is the tipping point where you will willingly buy Go-Kart junk to drive, as opposed to what you would like. And that's of course what Obama wants!!!!!!
I addressed the OP's concern, though I didnt remind her of last year when the price was $5/gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 07:22 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
this will also kill construction and new home sales. (kind of the main reason we are in this mess in the 1st place?) think about this, raising fuel to $6 would raise the cost of absolutely EVERY consumable material, construction material, food product and so on.

lets see, in concrete, we have the fuel to trucking/railling raw materials to a batch plant (rock, cement, fly ash, etc..) then there is the fuel to mix teh materials, the fuel to deliver the readymix to the job site, the fuel for the concrete finishers to get to the job, the fuel costs for a pump truck to pump the concrete into the foundation. in early 2007 i was paying about $50-55 per yard (depending on company) it jumped to the upper 60's by early 2008 then all the way up to low 80's in the summer of 2008, we are paying low 70's now. (i did pay 82.50 on a slab earlier this week but it was way out of town). on top of these costs, EVERY supplier has been charging a fuel surcharge to help off set their costs. talking to one of my supliers, he is paying ABOUT $6500 a day on fuel for ready mix trucks, last august he was spending $13000 A DAY for those same trucks.

when every trade, every supplier has to charge more to the builder because of fuel expenses, the builder has no choice but to incrase the sales price of their homes. this will ABSOLUTELY kill the new home construction sales and put a LOT of people out of work.

Concrete costs are high because the Middle East is the main supplier and China is the number one consumer - everyone else is secondary and; therefore, pays higher prices.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:24 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,097,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
What happens when the GM starts making a product the people do want?

People buy it.

You think GM made gas guzzlers the people didn't want? lol...
No R & D department spends a billion dollars over a decade on products it doesn't think it can sell.

Folks already buy Honda and Toyota's BETTER product's, if GM makes a better product perhaps they can reclaim their market share.
the only issue i have with this statement is that toyota and honda build a better product. this is part of the problem with american consumers today. consumer reports (and other sources) have shown that this is no longer true. it was at one point in time but over the last nearly decade, american auto manufacturers have been building cars and trucks equal to or surpassing japanese cars and trucks in quality. part of the problem american automakers have faced for so long is the missconception that japanese is better. while only one case, one of my best friends has a toyota pickup, and my wife has an f-150 (they work together). his truck has been in the shop AT LEAST 4-5 times and it is a 2008 model (picked up in 2007) my wifes ford, never had to go to the shop for anything other then regular maintenance. now take this for what its worth but his truck was built in san antonio, and hers was built in mexico. hmmmmmm

Old 06-05-2009, 07:27 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
Quote:
this will also kill construction and new home sales. (kind of the main reason we are in this mess in the 1st place?) think about this, raising fuel to $6 would raise the cost of absolutely EVERY consumable material, construction material, food product and so on.

lets see, in concrete, we have the fuel to trucking/railling raw materials to a batch plant (rock, cement, fly ash, etc..) then there is the fuel to mix teh materials, the fuel to deliver the readymix to the job site, the fuel for the concrete finishers to get to the job, the fuel costs for a pump truck to pump the concrete into the foundation. in early 2007 i was paying about $50-55 per yard (depending on company) it jumped to the upper 60's by early 2008 then all the way up to low 80's in the summer of 2008, we are paying low 70's now. (i did pay 82.50 on a slab earlier this week but it was way out of town). on top of these costs, EVERY supplier has been charging a fuel surcharge to help off set their costs. talking to one of my supliers, he is paying ABOUT $6500 a day on fuel for ready mix trucks, last august he was spending $13000 A DAY for those same trucks.

when every trade, every supplier has to charge more to the builder because of fuel expenses, the builder has no choice but to incrase the sales price of their homes. this will ABSOLUTELY kill the new home construction sales and put a LOT of people out of work.
Not to sound like a bleeding heart, but maybe the demand will go down for these 3000 square foot behemoth homes that people overextend themselves on and the builders will be driven to build smaller and more efficient homes instead of these giant mcmansions. Believe me, there is a market for 1200 - 1800 square foot homes if the builders would actually build them.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,480,605 times
Quote:
Who said Obama is responsible for high gas prices or GM's demise?
Title of Thread..

Obama wants "High Gas Prices"

Old 06-05-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Not to sound like a bleeding heart, but maybe the demand will go down for these 3000 square foot behemoth homes that people overextend themselves on and the builders will be driven to build smaller and more efficient homes instead of these giant mcmansions. Believe me, there is a market for 1200 - 1800 square foot homes if the builders would actually build them.
I'd say 1600 - 2400 might be more optimal, but I generally agree.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Concrete costs are high because the Middle East is the main supplier and China is the number one consumer - everyone else is secondary and; therefore, pays higher prices.

FALSE. while china is the largest consumer, and has been for about 15 yrs, concrete prices have only gone up over the last 3-5 yrs. cemex is the 3rd largest supplier of cement in the world, they do not even get 1/2 of their cement from the mid east. a lot of it comes from mexico itself, korea is a decent supplier, china themselves are the largest cement producer in the world, india is a big supplier, australia as well.

cement was in a shortage a few yrs back which did effect the prices, and yet fuel has been pushing this price even further.

in 2007 i bought about $1.5 million worth of concrete, trust me i have seen what fuel prices can do to the market. 2008 dropped to a couple hundred thousand dollars worth.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
FALSE. while china is the largest consumer, and has been for about 15 yrs, concrete prices have only gone up over the last 3-5 yrs. cemex is the 3rd largest supplier of cement in the world, they do not even get 1/2 of their cement from the mid east. a lot of it comes from mexico itself, korea is a decent supplier, china themselves are the largest cement producer in the world, india is a big supplier, australia as well.

cement was in a shortage a few yrs back which did effect the prices, and yet fuel has been pushing this price even further.

in 2007 i bought about $1.5 million worth of concrete, trust me i have seen what fuel prices can do to the market. 2008 dropped to a couple hundred thousand dollars worth.

Interesting. Thanks for the correction.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post

actually i have seen this trend over the last yr but especially this yr.

the majority of my business is still in the 300k price range and about 2500-3200 sq ft but it is changing for al ot of builders. i live in a 2300 sq ft house with my wife, my 6 yr old son, and my brother right now (he came to work for me out of the army) and at 2300 sq ft it is rather tight but we manage.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:35 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
Quote:
I'd say 1600 - 2400 might be more optimal, but I generally agree.
Ya. Several years ago a friend of mine and his wife were looking to buy their first house (young couple with no children). I encouraged him to look in our neighborhood where there were several fine homes for sale in the scale that you mentioned above.

They opted to buy a 3500 square foot brand new home. When I asked him why he needed that large of a house for a couple with no children his response was, "It was more house for the money."

I said, but ya, it is also going to cost you more in maintenance/upkeep, as well as heating an cooling, plus why do you NEED that much space?

I'm sure today he is regretting that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies