Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:29 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,477,004 times

Advertisements

Watch this disturbing video.

I support the death penalty but this video is challenging my thoughts about outlawing it in countries where the criminal does not have the "protections" our nation has.

I found this video very unsettling to watch.

There is nothing gory or graphic in this video.

It is of two middle eastern men talking about their jobs.

View it with an open mind.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 08:49 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,969,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Watch this disturbing video.

I support the death penalty but this video is challenging my thoughts about outlawing it in countries where the criminal does not have the "protections" our nation has.

I found this video very unsettling to watch.

There is nothing gory or graphic in this video.

It is of two middle eastern men talking about their jobs.

View it with an open mind.

What do you think?
As long as there is a death penalty, ANYWHERE, there will be people that have to carry it out. Not a job I would want but I do understand where these men are coming from, in that they do not take thier job personally. It is their JOB and the government is the employeer, same applies in this nation. Yes, we still have some growning to do as a species, we cannot claim to be a finished product so long as we continue to kill eachother, I wonder if we will ever evolve to that point before we kill ourselves off.
Casper

Old 06-06-2009, 08:51 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,298,593 times
Fascinating video, and, yes, unsettling.

I found that I was disturbed by their view of executing people as just another job. Though I realize that they believe what they are doing is right, it still gives me a chill to think that their children want to grow up to be executioners.

The discussion of the lack of distinction between the different kinds of "killing" made me wonder how far we will go in this country. I don't think that we will get to that point of nondifferentiation in crimes/actions causing the death of another, but the protections that help keep up from executing too many innocent people are being eroded, year by year. At what point do they cease to be protections at all?

Thanks for posting, very thought-provoking.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,487,107 times
It's rather long. I'll watch it later.

With that said, if you think the "protections" our nation has are sufficient, you are sadly mistaken. Look at all the DR inmates exonerated by DNA.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

With that said, if you think the "protections" our nation has are sufficient, you are sadly mistaken. Look at all the DR inmates exonerated by DNA.
You need to watch that video to see how it's "done" in Saudi.

I do think that the "protections" that our nation has are superior and sufficient compared to what they have there.

Watch that video and then we can discuss.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:06 AM

This topic is valid for this thread because it deals with "other controversies" - the death penalty.

Watch the video then we can discuss the form and function of the "death penalty" as it applies to U.S. law and other countries.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:31 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,957,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

It is worse than most anyone could think.

The False Rape Society: Va. DNA project finds more negative matches

The False Rape Society

News and commentary about wrongful accusations of rape and sexual assault

Monday, March 16, 2009

Va. DNA project finds more negative matches

Two more men cleared of rape, decades after the fact. This comes on top of a case a week ago, where a man was cleared 30 years after being convicted after and spending 8 years in prison.

This is the reason that this site exists: to highlight the injustices emanating from wrongful rape claims; to give voice to the wrongfully accused. For 30 years a man has been labeled a rapist, spent time in prison, and likely has lost friends and family, not to mention his good name, his dignity, his honor and his self respect. All for something he did not do.

snip

Over and over again it happens.

The innocence project estimates a full third of the men doing prison time for stranger rape, that's rape where the victim didn't know the attacker beforehand, are innocent. DNA testing is bearing this out. A full third and here most of us should view one in a thousand as unacceptable.

Men were routinely sentenced to death for rape 100 years ago. Makes one wonder.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:46 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,485,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
What protections? We torture and execute innocent people all the time..and many^^^ have excused/justified it..We can't "outlaw"/critisize something in another country that we do right here. That's the whole point of ending torture and closing Gitmo. This is a total pot calling kettle situation. President Cheney and company surrendered the high moral ground.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:49 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,537,089 times
The death penalty should not exist in any country.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:29 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,241,923 times
Interesting video. I understand these men are doing their "jobs" and go about it in a professional and calculated manner as to not bring any un-needed pain and suffering to the subject (as if having a body part lopped off in any manner won't hurt a little). But what blows me away is the "bring your kid to work day" thing that seems to be celebrated. To me, it is blood lust and nothing more. I get it that our cultures are light years apart, but watching a human head beaing chopped off, even if it is a convicted murderer is something no one should be forced to see, let alone want to see. Wow, is all I can say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies