Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:35 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,943,303 times

Advertisements

Steven Ballmer, the Microsoft chief executive, says that they would move some employees offshore if Congress enacts President Barack Obama’s plans to impose higher taxes on U.S. companies’ foreign profits. 'It makes U.S. jobs more expensive,' Ballmer said in an interview. 'We’re better off taking lots of people and moving them out of the U.S. as opposed to keeping them inside the U.S.' ... Typically, he said, a company like Microsoft develops a product like Windows in the United States and deducts those costs against U.S. income. It then transfers the technology to a subsidiary in Ireland, where corporate tax rates are lower, without charging licensing fees. The company then assigns its foreign sales to the Irish subsidiary so it doesn’t have to claim the income in the United States." Obama wants to stop all of that, as he has announced. We're going to lose US jobs! Here's Microsoft as much as saying so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:43 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,631,900 times
Do you have a link for this? Sounds like something I want to read more about!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:50 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,656 times
They've been moving jobs overseas and bringing in foreigners to under pay them for years. I haven't talked to an American at their tech support since the 80's. They have enjoyed decades of free QA support from all their loyal techie followers and yet they want to avoid paying taxes in the country that allowed them to prosper. Does that bloated AH really think MS would have been able to grow to the size it has in India? I doubt anyone would have even heard of MS if it had started overseas. I can't believe a company that makes so much money is so opposed to paying their fair share of taxes.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:54 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
The roundtable that the above post was referring at:Ballmer Says Tax Would Move Microsoft Jobs Offshore (Update3) - Bloomberg.com

Ballmer said that, while the Obama proposals would preserve expense deductions related to research and experimentation costs, the overall deduction limits for companies that defer tax on foreign profits (would raise the cost of employing U.S. workers)"

“It’s not about companies anyway; we’re talking about shareholders.”

Current US tax rules lets them defer paying rates as high as 35% on most foreign profits as long as that money remains invested overseas. Ending the incentive to keep foreign profits tax deferred, US companies should invest them in the US, but we see some would rather not.

Microsoft already has 1/3 of the employees overseas and currently them and other companies get to 'stretch' the tax rules to their advantage.

One has a choice and doesn't have to use their products.

Last edited by plannine; 06-07-2009 at 06:10 AM..

Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,943,303 times
Quote:
Do you have a link for this? Sounds like something I want to read more about!
Ballmer Says Tax Would Move Microsoft Jobs Offshore (Update3) - Bloomberg.com

Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Ballmer says tax would move Microsoft jobs offshore (http://www.financialpost.com/news-sectors/technology/story.html?id=1659054 - broken link)

There are tons of sites reporting it, this is just one I saw on a quick search.

What a surprise!

We can look on the bright side, maybe Obama will take the company over and call it Govsoft. For the good of the people ya know!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Then the government won't feel compelled to use microsoft products on its computers.
Linux could see a windfall.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
They've been moving jobs overseas and bringing in foreigners to under pay them for years. I haven't talked to an American at their tech support since the 80's. They have enjoyed decades of free QA support from all their loyal techie followers and yet they want to avoid paying taxes in the country that allowed them to prosper. Does that bloated AH really think MS would have been able to grow to the size it has in India? I doubt anyone would have even heard of MS if it had started overseas. I can't believe a company that makes so much money is so opposed to paying their fair share of taxes.
This. Saying the proposed taxes would cause MS to move jobs overseas is like saying the taxes would cause fish to breathe water. One of Microsoft's mottos in the mid 2000s was "What jobs can we outsource overseas today?" I'm sure that's still the case.

I used to work for MS through an American company that Windows support was outsourced to up through 2002. The company had two centers, one near Seattle and the other somewhere in Utah. The company I worked for got bought out by another company that closed our center. The one in Utah was closed less than 2 years later, and all the jobs went to India. Now when you call them for support you get someone who barely speaks English reading off a card.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:18 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
It seems that this (what ballmer is mentioning) is another loophole in the tax code written by the industries (im guessing here), to their advantage, now being closed. Hopefully the next broken piece of legislature that gets fixed is NAFTA.

Overall, (even with the business communities crying) this does not seem to be a bad idea.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Yeah, I never liked the idea of NAFTA and couldn't understand why Clinton signed it.
Then again, not being an economist, I'm surprised that people couldn't see that bank deregulation and the ridiculousness of McMansions and inflated housing costs wouldn't lead the way to big trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies