Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:54 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times

Advertisements

This is of course all speculation but, that being said...

I think we can make a pretty good guess from the evidence we have within our own solar system. We have earth (obviously) and there is pretty good evidence that water (one of the building blocks of life) was on the very next planet over, i.e. Mars. There are also signs of water on a moon of Jupiter (Ios? can't remember the exact name). If we ever found evidence of life or even life itself, say, underneath the soil on Mars...it would be a slam dunk.

Here's why...if we found life or even just the building blocks for life (i.e. liquid water, carbon, etc) on two planets and maybe a moon on our solar system alone, imagine the number of planets that would have similar situations in the vastness of space. I mean, if it is that frequent where it would occur two or three times within a solar system, life must be everywhere (well everywhere in a universal sense).

But again, all speculation, well informed speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 06:49 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
The universe is such a big place. Can we drop the religious beliefs on this one and say if there is intelligent life beyond our planets. What is your perspective?
No, because you can't leave God out of the equation. He is the author and architect of the universe.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:12 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
No, because you can't leave God out of the equation. He is the author and architect of the universe.
Actually you can. Of all the physics and cosomology equations that I have seen, I have never seen even one that had a value of God as one of its terms.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:18 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
The universe is such a big place. Can we drop the religious beliefs on this one and say if there is intelligent life beyond our planets. What is your perspective?
I suddenly have the theme song to the twilite zone in my head , cmon everybody together, do do do dooo do do do dooo.......

Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,843 times
That Jovian moon is Europa. Scientists believe there is a possibility life exists deep in the ocean.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:55 PM

192 posts, read 864,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Regardless of your what your (or anyone's) belief on that subject is, the OP did specifically ask that any reference to religion be left out of this particular discussion.

Everyone else who has posted an answer, has respected the OP enough to honor that very fair and reasonable request.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:23 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
That Jovian moon is Europa. Scientists believe there is a possibility life exists deep in the ocean.
Thanks!

Old 04-12-2007, 02:47 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,690 times
Disclaimer: I am very ignorant when it comes to this topic, but very interested, so please feel free to educate me. Here are my questions (please don't laugh)...well, you can laugh a little bit:

What about speculation regarding who built the pyramids, Atlantis, etc.? Have there been definitive answers/evidence regarding this?

Is it possible that perhaps there is life somewhere else in the universe, but rather than being single celled organisms, they are far superior to us intellectually, and are therefore staying out of range of our detection for some reason?

Or, maybe other life exists in a different dimiension, one that we cannot see or hear or detect. I am likening this idea to some other people's belief that when people die, the "other side" is here, and exists in the same space and place as us, we just can't see beyond the "veil."

Thanks,
Science moron

Old 04-12-2007, 02:57 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Dear Science Moron,

I don't have any answers--but an interesting story to share. I was in Peru and someone approached me (because of some book I was reading) and told me of a medical doctor in another town that had "proof" other life existed and came to Earth and left records.

Of course I was beyond curious and found the town, the doctor and his evidence. He wrote a book about this, which I have somewhere.

He had a huge house on the square--filled with black stones. Each stone was engraved with symbols. In broken Spanish on my side, and broken English on his, we conversed.

He tried to make a convincing argument about each symbol--needless to say, it was a worthwhile and entertaining visit. Is it true? I don't know, but I won't forget his sincerity and I brought back some of those stones.

Sincerely,
Stone Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Disclaimer: I am very ignorant when it comes to this topic, but very interested, so please feel free to educate me. Here are my questions (please don't laugh)...well, you can laugh a little bit:

What about speculation regarding who built the pyramids, Atlantis, etc.? Have there been definitive answers/evidence regarding this?

Is it possible that perhaps there is life somewhere else in the universe, but rather than being single celled organisms, they are far superior to us intellectually, and are therefore staying out of range of our detection for some reason?

Or, maybe other life exists in a different dimiension, one that we cannot see or hear or detect. I am likening this idea to some other people's belief that when people die, the "other side" is here, and exists in the same space and place as us, we just can't see beyond the "veil."

Thanks,
Science moron

Old 04-12-2007, 03:20 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
I do believe there is so much more out in the universe that is unknown. Whether we've been visited by other beings...again, unknown, unless you live in New Mexico. The universe is vast and there is most definitely life beyond our dimension and spatial boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies