Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Should PAY For A Minor Using a FAKE ID?
The MINOR Should Be The Only Party To Pay 23 54.76%
The BAR Should Be The Only Party To Pay 0 0%
Both The MINOR And The BAR Should Pay 11 26.19%
A 20 Year Old Is Not Really A Minor So Nobody Pays! 8 19.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting case of where a "minor" (he is actually 20 years old) came into a bar and used a fake ID to buy drinks. The bar got fined $500 and the minor got fined only $400. Now the bar owner is suing the minor for the $500 he got fined. Who should be punished when a minor uses a fake ID in a bar?

http://www.kansas.com/news/breaking/story/843229.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
The minor. There is NO WAY people can tell how old someone really is. Many fake id's are not fake at all, they just belong to someone else. I know someone who had an extra drivers licence and gave on to a minor who looked amazingly like the photo on the id. Shop owners are not mind readers.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:21 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
I myself used a couple fake id's & got them all taken away. These were id's of people who were of age & I just used them. Then, one time I stupidly went to the DMV w/someone's info (they gave me permission) & I got caught, the cops were even brought in. LOL, that's a good story to tell. Anyway, I think it's the minor's problem, not the bar.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,878 times
I think in criminal law there is no need to prove intent for something like this. Basically, if the bar serves the minor they have broken the law, period. However, I think the minor should pay a hefty fee and the bars a smaller one. It would be almost impossible for a bar to catch everyone with a fake ID, especially in a college town like Lawrence.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:45 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times

Old 06-07-2009, 09:48 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This is an interesting case of where a "minor" (he is actually 20 years old) came into a bar and used a fake ID to buy drinks. The bar got fined $500 and the minor got fined only $400. Now the bar owner is suing the minor for the $500 he got fined. Who should be punished when a minor uses a fake ID in a bar?

Lawrence restaurant owner on Judge Judy | News Updates | Wichita Eagle (http://www.kansas.com/news/breaking/story/843229.html - broken link)

every state has their laws, but the bar did serve a minor, it goes both ways, the bar should pin the fine on the bouncer.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:06 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
This stupid 21 drinking age has to go. It's absurd. How long can we hold grown adults' hands while fostering this childish culture of binge drinking?

President Reagan certainly created one heck of a Nanny State.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
every state has their laws, but the bar did serve a minor, it goes both ways, the bar should pin the fine on the bouncer.
Way back in days long ago I used to work at the door in a club. The "bouncer" does not work the door, he (they) works inside. The Doorman works the door. As careful as you are, sometimes people get through. IDs can look good. But I caught plenty of people in the year I did that job part time. We had a book with a picture and description of every ID from every state in the union and some European countries. If I had any doubt, I would look it up. Another trick was to ask the person to tell you their birthdate and Social Security number (on all ID back then) quickly without thinking about it. But even your best efforts are not going to be fail proof.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I myself used a couple fake id's & got them all taken away. These were id's of people who were of age & I just used them. Then, one time I stupidly went to the DMV w/someone's info (they gave me permission) & I got caught, the cops were even brought in. LOL, that's a good story to tell. Anyway, I think it's the minor's problem, not the bar.
When I would catch them, I would take them away too but we didn't call the cops. I remember one night this young gal showed up and she did not look like the gal on the driver's license so I said "what is your SS number, quick!" and she didn't know it. So I told her I was going to keep her fake ID and to get lost and she started bawling and begging for it because it belonged to her older sister and she took it without the sister knowing and PLEASE give it back. I told her to send the sister to the club and I would give it back to her only.
The people that were hardest to catch were the ones that used a good fake. They have their real info on it and some of them look just like a real license.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:02 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
I've had a couple of close calls with a fake ID as well. I had a buddy of mines that was 21 while I was 19/20. Other than the height and eye color, it looked nothing like me. To this day, I still get carded for lottery tickets on occasion so this should give you an indicator of just how young I must had looked back then. Anyway, I went into a conveinence store to buy beer and I'm about 3 people back from the register. Then a cop walks in and grabs something and gets in line right behind me. I was sweating bullets. I thought about playing it off and going back to the cooler but ultimately said what that hell and stayed in line. Cashier looked at the ID and proceeded to check me out. I couldn't believe it. I thought I was toast.

The best story I have though is using the same ID at a night club. I get up to the front of the line to get in and the bouncer is taking a hard look at it. He doesn't buy it and asks me all sorts of stuff like, DOB, DL #, etc. I get all those and then he asks what my sign is. Oh snap!! I had no idea so I said I didn't believe in all that astrology mumbo jumbo. The bouncer is still not buying it. He makes me sign my name twice and compares it to the signature on the ID. It was pretty good. Finally, the bouncer has had enough and says he will see what the off-duty police officer there has to say about it.

As the officer makes his way over, I'm thinking I'm screwed big time. This guy is gonna take the ID and who knows what's gonna happen to me. The officer looks at the ID fairly quickly and me and tells the bouncer that its legit and to let me in. I couldn't believe it.

Once in the club, I'm talking to my friends who are in disbelief as well about the whole ordeal. As I'm talking, I feel someone grab me on the shoulder. I turn around and its the police officer. Oh nooooooo!! I'm done for! He says to me, "look, both you and I know that is not your ID. Just be careful with it and have fun."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies