Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many of these people thought they didn't need a union. If you are UNION and you are gonna get the ax, the company is required to give you NOTICE and not send you a text message while you are on vacation and toss the stuff on your desk in the dumpster!

How I Got Laid Off - Stories From the Involuntarily Unemployed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
Unions are OK as long as they operate in realistic manner.

The UAW is one example of a union that doesn't. A guy that lives nearby was in the UAW and was in the jobs bank. That's where you are laid-off, but you are still paid not to work. He had to show up at the plant everyday, but him and the other people in the job bank would sit in the cafeteria all day. They would do crossword puzzles, sleep, etc. This guy I know did worse. He would pour Jim Beam into a fountain soda cup and drink heavily. When he went to take bathroom breaks, he would go smoke weed. He was usually passed out after 4-5 hours at the plant. He was getting paid to get messed up. That's messed up huh?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:01 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Unions are OK as long as they operate in realistic manner.

The UAW is one example of a union that doesn't. A guy that lives nearby was in the UAW and was in the jobs bank. That's where you are laid-off, but you are still paid not to work. He had to show up at the plant everyday, but him and the other people in the job bank would sit in the cafeteria all day. They would do crossword puzzles, sleep, etc. This guy I know did worse. He would pour Jim Beam into a fountain soda cup and drink heavily. When he went to take bathroom breaks, he would go smoke weed. He was usually passed out after 4-5 hours at the plant. He was getting paid to get messed up. That's messed up huh?
Are you saying they did this at the direction of UAW?

"still paid not to work" --- they're being paid until they get work, duh. That's why they pay dues.

It's like the unemployment money non-union companies "allow" us taxpayers to pay to you when they lay you off.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:11 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That's like the unemployment money us taxpayers pay to you when you get laid off from a non-union company.
Except the job bank pays them almost as much as their normal salary. If you've ever been on unemployment, they pay you pennies on the dollar. The one time I had to draw unemployment I received about 65% less than my normal pay, not nearly enough to live on. And unemployment has a shorter time limit. Job banks people can sit on their ass for months and months and still get paid damn near as much as they do to actually work. Where is the incentive to do anything?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Except the job bank pays them almost as much as their normal salary. If you've ever been on unemployment, they pay you pennies on the dollar. The one time I had to draw unemployment I received about 65% less than my normal pay, not nearly enough to live on. And unemployment has a shorter time limit. Job banks people can sit on their ass for months and months and still get paid damn near as much as they do to actually work. Where is the incentive to do anything?
The union pays you - from your own dues that you already paid in - because they're not going to let you down in hard times. When its possible to work again, you will work again.

You have zero protection in a non-union company. They cut you and your family adrift to go scrounge what you can -- oh excuse me, "give you incentive" to go out and scrounge what you can. Why are you defending that?

Clutching the chains that bind you.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:20 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The union pays you - from your own dues that you already paid in - because they're not going to let you down in hard times. When its possible to work again, you will work again.

You have zero protection in a non-union company. They cut you and your family adrift to go scrounge what you can -- oh excuse me, "give you incentive" to go out and scrounge what you can. Why are you defending that?

Clutching the chains that bind you.
Great posts as usual but I think we face "Union Envy"...some people actually WANT all of the middle class to sink to the lowest common denominator.
They whine about union dues and then when union members get something for their dues they whine about THAT!!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I believe the hatred of Unions is the result of a concerted propaganda effort over the last forty or more years by the owners of industry. They have also created a situation where American workers have to compete with underpaid, and nearly starving, workers in foreign countries or workers illegally imported to this country. The point was to keep the workers wages flat while transferring the tax burden from owners to workers. The boom in credit allowed workers to fool them selves into thinking they were OK while they were going broke. The point was to create an economy where the workforce was in constant fear of losing their income and would aquise to any company bullying.

The result was an equities market that increased in numeric value twice as fast as inflation even if we discount the bubble. Mission Accomplished.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe the hatred of Unions is the result of a concerted propaganda effort over the last forty or more years by the owners of industry. They have also created a situation where American workers have to compete with underpaid, and nearly starving, workers in foreign countries or workers illegally imported to this country. The point was to keep the workers wages flat while transferring the tax burden from owners to workers. The boom in credit allowed workers to fool them selves into thinking they were OK while they were going broke. The point was to create an economy where the workforce was in constant fear of losing their income and would aquise to any company bullying.

The result was an equities market that increased in numeric value twice as fast as inflation even if we discount the bubble. Mission Accomplished.
You're right to believe it Greg because that's what it is. And these trained little sheepies defend their owners' interests at their own expense, and the expense of their own families.

Mission Accomplished, exactly.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
delusianne - I am encouraged that some of us see how the world works instead of how we are supposed to see it work.

Thanks, GregW

Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 AM

>sits back to wait for the Attack of the Fanged Guard-Sheepies<
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies