Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times

Advertisements

I'm 14 minutes into President's Obama's speech in Cairo, and I have to say thus far, it's one of the best speeches I've seen.

It's not weak or lily-livered (he brought up 9/11 near the beginning) as some have suggested. He isn't candy coating anything; he's delivering salient points in an extremely effective manner.

For those of you who say "it's just words," the first step has to start out with words; words that can unite and bring people together. He is (or did) that very well. I haven't finished watching, but look forward to the rest of the speech.

Here's to hoping it's the first step in good things regarding world peace. I certainly wouldn't mind having 1 billion sane Muslims on our side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 05:23 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
Well once Rush and FoxNews get through with their "creative editing" I'm sure it'll be proclaimed as nothing more than a "blame America, kiss the azzes of Muslims" speech. Kind of like his speech in Europe a month or so ago.

Oooops, too late, there's already a post overreacting because he said that "America overreacted after 9/11".

I guess the OP on that one doesn't remember people calling the FBI at the sight of every cropduster, hijab or angel dust spilled on the street. And of course all of the talk about "we must arm commercial airline pilots", and the lady in Austin TX who called the cops when she saw the (can't remember the name of the) US Army skydiving team practicing, she thought it was "Red Dawn". And it's so nice to be able to carry my own water on a commercial airliner. Strip searching granny and giving her an anal probe to let her on a plane doens't qualify as "overreacting" either.

I guess everyone here (especially those who worry that Obama is burning up the Constitution, is just fine with the Patriot Act.

golfgod

Old 06-04-2009, 05:27 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times
I appreciate that you can say some nice things about the president - despite not voting for him (right?).

It's encouraging.

However:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...slim-word.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ipt-video.html

Old 06-04-2009, 05:29 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Uhhh, if the O's comments in Cairo are as reliable as his campaign rhetoric then he has clearly pointed the way to the international relations urinal.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I'm 14 minutes into President's Obama's speech in Cairo, and I have to say thus far, it's one of the best speeches I've seen.

It's not weak or lily-livered (he brought up 9/11 near the beginning) as some have suggested. He isn't candy coating anything; he's delivering salient points in an extremely effective manner.

For those of you who say "it's just words," the first step has to start out with words; words that can unite and bring people together. He is (or did) that very well. I haven't finished watching, but look forward to the rest of the speech.

Here's to hoping it's the first step in good things regarding world peace. I certainly wouldn't mind having 1 billion sane Muslims on our side.
Haven't heard the speech today, but I'll admit I've been rather more impressed with Obama in his first few weeks in office than I imagined I'd be. I'll hope he continues to surprise me. Thanks for your report.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:32 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Oooops, too late, there's already a post overreacting because he said that "America overreacted after 9/11".
Except, of course, that he didn't say that American overreacted after 9/11.

What he said in his speech was:
Quote:
9/11 was an enormous trauma to our country. The fear and anger that it provoked was understandable, but in some cases, it led us to act contrary to our ideals. We are taking concrete actions to change course. I have unequivocally prohibited the use of torture by the United States, and I have ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed by early next year.
(I know you know that, Golfgod. I'm just posting it for the convenience of those who might see your quotation marks and erroneously assume that you are quoting the exact text of the speech.)

Old 06-04-2009, 05:40 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
Thanks nifty. And of course this thread, which has some rational discussion and respectful disagreements, will probably end up with fewer than 10 posts and be on page 3 by midnight tonight. OTOH the thread I mentioned will degenerate into a "if you can't show a clip it never happened" and "epic fail" pizz-fest, dominated by a couple of 7th graders.

That's my one complaint about PCMarine, although he's opposed to a lot of what I believe he's not kid, was in the military about the same time I was, but he too often buys into the Fox/Drudge/WorldNet vibe and posts some off-the-wall stuff.

Ah well, we can't have everything.

golfgod

Old 06-04-2009, 05:48 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,543 times

YouTube - Lower Quality Version: President Obama Speaks to the Muslim World from Cairo, Egypt

what a great speech. i'm so PROUD to have someone like him represent America to the world.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
I appreciate that you can say some nice things about the president - despite not voting for him (right?).

It's encouraging.

However:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...slim-word.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ipt-video.html
Nope. Did not vote for him (didn't vote for McCain either) but I always try to keep an open mind. What's the use of it all if one lives in their own little world right?

Old 06-04-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post

YouTube - Lower Quality Version: President Obama Speaks to the Muslim World from Cairo, Egypt

what a great speech. i'm so PROUD to have someone like him represent America to the world.
High quality version.

The White House - Blog Post - The President’s Speech in Cairo: A New Beginning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies