Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 11:01 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times

Advertisements

It turns out liberal economist Paul Krugman and conservative Congressman Paul Ryan both agree that the Federal Government is racking up huge amounts of debt that are unsustainable.

Here was an article from Fortune about how our government debt is unsustainable...and that would be true EVEN IF the stimulus package did not exist.

The reason:

Why? Because future spending is driven mostly by entitlements, which are programmed to rise far faster than national income, while revenues depend heavily on the personal income tax, which yields receipts that typically rise or fall with GDP.

Retire Rich 2009: America's great debt threat - Jun. 9, 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
I thought the Krugman Keynesian Klan (KKK) retards and their leader Paul were saying that government debt will not be lowered from AAA rated and Treasuries would do fine even with much more massive stimulus spending?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:36 AM

117 posts, read 139,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It turns out liberal economist Paul Krugman and conservative Congressman Paul Ryan both agree that the Federal Government is racking up huge amounts of debt that are unsustainable.

Here was an article from Fortune about how our government debt is unsustainable...and that would be true EVEN IF the stimulus package did not exist.

The reason:

Why? Because future spending is driven mostly by entitlements, which are programmed to rise far faster than national income, while revenues depend heavily on the personal income tax, which yields receipts that typically rise or fall with GDP.

Retire Rich 2009: America's great debt threat - Jun. 9, 2009
gee, a little late isn't it fellas???

Krugman wins a Nobel Prize for this? Where was he during the last 10-20 years? monday-morning QBs....

again, Ron Paul has been saying this CONSISTENTLY for over 20 years, so everyone in America should be asking why they've hardly heard of him. Hmmmmm........

Old 06-09-2009, 11:43 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengeice View Post

Krugman wins a Nobel Prize for this? Where was he during the last 10-20 years? monday-morning QBs....

again, Ron Paul has been saying this CONSISTENTLY for over 20 years, so everyone in America should be asking why they've hardly heard of him. Hmmmmm........
Krugman never did and never would win a nobel prize for monetary policy. He has a bad track record for predicting inflation/deflation cycles but is keen on trade theory. Thus, he won a prize based on this topic.

I have a doctorate in computer science, but I am the first to admit I am ignorant in areas such as software engineering and networking, as they are not within my research interests.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:49 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengeice View Post

The Age of Diminished Expectations: U.S. Economic Policy in the 1990s was written in 1990 (19 years ago)...Krugman was saying the same stuff then as he is now.

I read this book for a HS economics class...if you haven't heard of his work, it's your fault for being ignorant. If I, as a high schooler more than a decade ago, knew about Krugman's ideas, what excuse do you have for not knowing?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:55 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
The Age of Diminished Expectations: U.S. Economic Policy in the 1990s was written in 1990 (19 years ago)...Krugman was saying the same stuff then as he is now.

I read this book for a HS economics class...if you haven't heard of his work, it's your fault for being ignorant. If I, as a high schooler more than a decade ago, knew about Krugman's ideas, what excuse do you have for not knowing?
He said during the entire last administration and was dismissed as merelty being partisan. They wouldn't listen then when they had the checkbook and now have a problem that the money is being spent here and not on tax cuts for the rich. The right has no credibility on the issue and we had to spend on stimulus and we have to change our healthcare system.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:13 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
No one wants to sustain this level of debt. No one wanted to have to incur it to begin with. But recent levels of mismanagement made that a necessity. Once this huge mess is cleaned up, we will once again be able to afford the luxury of working towards balanced and sustainable budget and debt situations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies