Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:49 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times

Advertisements

June 12 (Bloomberg) -- AMR Corp.’s American Airlines will eliminate 1,600 jobs and Delta Air Lines Inc. may pare its payroll again as waning travel demand spurs deeper cuts in seating capacity.

American’s reductions equal about 2.4 percent of the workforce, while Delta said it would “reassess staffing needs” without giving a figure. US Airways Group Inc. said it wants 400 flight attendants to take leaves or it will resort to layoffs.

American Air to Slash 1,600 Jobs, Delta May Follow (Update2) - Bloomberg.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 02:52 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
quick barry buy the airlines!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:55 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,858,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
June 12 (Bloomberg) -- AMR Corp.’s American Airlines will eliminate 1,600 jobs and Delta Air Lines Inc. may pare its payroll again as waning travel demand spurs deeper cuts in seating capacity.

American’s reductions equal about 2.4 percent of the workforce, while Delta said it would “reassess staffing needs” without giving a figure. US Airways Group Inc. said it wants 400 flight attendants to take leaves or it will resort to layoffs.

Well I'm not worried, Big O will have them sweeping the streets and get them back to work, or else!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:55 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
It's not just the commercial airlines - it's the entire aviation industry.

Cessna Aircraft plans 1,300 more layoffs | Top Stories | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1430139.html - broken link)

Quote:
Cessna Aircraft Co., the nation's largest builder of corporate jets, said Friday it is laying off another 1,300 workers, raising the number of jobs eliminated to half of its work force since November as the recession has depressed demand for its planes.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:02 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
quick barry buy the airlines!

Shhh!

I'm still trying to figure out how I can fit my portion of the auto industry into my domestic budget.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:02 PM

195 posts, read 127,730 times
Quote:

Yep, pretty confirms that we are in a recession that began about 18 months ago.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:05 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm666 View Post
Yep, pretty confirms that we are in a recession that began about 18 months ago.
and is being fed well on a daily basis

Old 06-12-2009, 03:10 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Well I'm not worried, Big O will have them sweeping the streets and get them back to work, or else!
Sure ... nevermind your 2,500.00 dollar a month house payment, we've got a dandy cardboard box to stay in for free downtown, to go along with your new 5.00 an hour, 25 hour a week government job ...

Old 06-12-2009, 05:32 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,376,777 times
Quote:

I'm sure the current economy has a lot to do with this but it's been coming for other reasons also I believe....
I know I am at the point where I pretty much dread to fly anywhere. Sometimes I consider taking a weekend trip somewhere (have SkyMiles) but decide it isn't worth the hassle.

When you get to the airport, your plane may take off as scheduled or it may not. Connections may be made or they may not. We got stranded in Atlanta one time (our plane late - not weather related, connecting plane closed doors early), planes were booked the next day so they may get us out the next day but maybe not, asked for our luggage - was told it was on the plane we missed, rented a car and drove 8 hours to home airport in the middle of the night in rain the entire way - returned car at airport and went to pick up our luggage only to be told it was still in Atlanta.
Took a friend 4 days to get home from Hawaii.

Always carry a snack cuz you may get in a situation where there is no time to get food between flights and there is no food on the plane - not even snacks. Have been there done that and about starved to death.

Then there is the airport itself - I'm a very law abiding citizen but feel like a criminal at the airport. Check everything to make sure I have nothing that may be deemed dangerous such as nailclippers. Lord bless you if you would ever get upset with anything the airline does cuz you better keep your mouth shut.

I know there have to be precautions but geez.....
don't know what the answer is.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I'm sure the current economy has a lot to do with this but it's been coming for other reasons also I believe....
I know I am at the point where I pretty much dread to fly anywhere. Sometimes I consider taking a weekend trip somewhere (have SkyMiles) but decide it isn't worth the hassle.

When you get to the airport, your plane may take off as scheduled or it may not. Connections may be made or they may not. We got stranded in Atlanta one time (our plane late - not weather related, connecting plane closed doors early), planes were booked the next day so they may get us out the next day but maybe not, asked for our luggage - was told it was on the plane we missed, rented a car and drove 8 hours to home airport in the middle of the night in rain the entire way - returned car at airport and went to pick up our luggage only to be told it was still in Atlanta.
Took a friend 4 days to get home from Hawaii.

Always carry a snack cuz you may get in a situation where there is no time to get food between flights and there is no food on the plane - not even snacks. Have been there done that and about starved to death.

Then there is the airport itself - I'm a very law abiding citizen but feel like a criminal at the airport. Check everything to make sure I have nothing that may be deemed dangerous such as nailclippers. Lord bless you if you would ever get upset with anything the airline does cuz you better keep your mouth shut.

I know there have to be precautions but geez.....
don't know what the answer is.

Fly private. If you have more than 5 or 6 people flying, it's about the same price as a business class seat in a larger airplane, plus you don't have to go through security, you get personalized service and MUCH better snacks/food. You also get there quicker (private planes are WAY faster than commercial planes) and no layovers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies