Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:06 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
You want to see an economy get stimulated:

How about No Federal Tax is withheld for 1 year?

Now let me say this is an idea from Wayne Allyn Root, most likely the 2012 Libertarian Presidential candidate.

You think that would increase demand? Rather then pouring cement over the dessert?

I recently moved from a state that has income tax to one that does not. I now have more discretionary income every week. And yes I use it .. Leisure activites, eating out, gambling, I do save slightly more but think about if no federal tax was withheld for 1 year from your checks. You all know you would be consuming more.

And no the tax would not be due on your next return. It is a one year tax moratorium.
NOW that would be a stimulus.
That would help me spend more then the 3.00 extra dollars a week

What am I suppose to do with 12.00 a mth seriously? Hes going to cause my elec bill to go up more then that a mth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 01:14 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
I haven't looked at the whole list, but #62 is not even a stimulus project.

Fail.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:15 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
And neither is #81

Old 06-25-2009, 01:33 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,277 times
I opposed the stimulas bill from the start. This article proves why.

That money, paying for a turtle crossing and skate park didn't come out of thin air, somebody has to pay for it. Those people being the US citizens. This is the problem with most people who look to government to "fix" everything. They can't fix anything, we can only fix it. The government has no money of their own. None. Ziltch. Nadda.

So basically, this plan is to take tax dollars, both present and future (from printing money and devalueing the currency) and use that money to try and put people back to work. A man is out of work because he can't find work, so you ask him to pay taxes so the government can create jobs and put him back to work? He just paid is own paycheck. Awesome idea.

If you want to put people back to work, the government needs to take a more hands off approach. In my opinion, the private sector is much better at guaranteeing a return on investment than the government. All the government is is an agency that determines where to spend our money with no real responsibility if it looses it. Are they really the best ones to be "stimulating" the economy. This article should make everybody reply with a resounding "no".

Instead, remove the corporate taxes that are the highest in the world. Allow companies to invest in innovations which spurs development, instead of paying corporate tax. Allow consumers the oppurtunity to buy products at reduced rates rather than pay more on the devalued dollar. Allow companies to hire more people with additional funding.

You want somebody that can really stimulate anything.... try the private sector.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:36 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
A man is out of work because he can't find work, so you ask him to pay taxes so the government can create jobs and put him back to work? He just paid is own paycheck. Awesome idea.

r.
How is that man paying taxes if he cant find work and is out of work, thus not required to pay taxes..

Old 06-25-2009, 01:39 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Allow companies to invest in innovations which spurs development, instead of paying corporate tax.
What kind of double-speak nonsense is this? Do you know what a false dilemma is?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:41 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
How is that man paying taxes if he cant find work and is out of work, thus not required to pay taxes..
For the first 6 weeks of unemployment.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
Do you really think that the stimulas money was created from taxes collected during the recession?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
What kind of double-speak nonsense is this? Do you know what a false dilemma is?
Did I say that was the only option?

Common misconception is that corporations pay taxes at all. They don't. All costs of corporate tax is passed onto the consumer receiving their product or services. Thus having the highest corporate tax in the world only continues to hurt our ability to create and maintain jobs for people.

Try to engage the conversation and the points made rather than focusing your attention on me and what you percieve as an inadequate or illogical point of view. Otherwise, Ill just have to pull the same non-sense and point out your strawman attempt at discrediting my opinions.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:59 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,575 times
Quote:
Do you really think that the stimulas money was created from taxes collected during the recession?
yeah some of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies