Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:35 PM

37,224 posts, read 19,225,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Yeah, what is funny is that so many of these people laughing don't even have enough education to know that the flag they are talking about is not THE Confederate flag at all. They have no idea about the true and honest history of the south and the Civil War.
Yeah, maybe, but the Naval Jack is much nicer to look at that the CBF, which also doesn't flap in the breeze as much.

The people who display them, however, are not much of a bargain.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:09 PM

491 posts, read 926,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not sure if we are having a breakdown in communication or not. Antebellum means "before war". It is not a term owned by the South. While we commonly use it to describe the South and a lifestyle akin to Gone With the Wind, the phrase "antebellum nostalgia" might just as aptly describe some of the scenes in Little Women. Clearly, since only a handful of Southerners were wealthy plantation owners, the antebellum nostalgia of Gone With the Wind may have some foundation, but it wasn't the reality of the average Southerner. Was the lifestyle of the Marches the reality of the average Northerner? Did everyone have wealthy neighbors and wealthy aunts and go on tours of Europe? Did everyone dabble in Transcendentalism, and was everyone an abolitionist?

Here is your previous claim: "It may not be classified as nostalgia, but Northern claims of moral superiority are mired in some sort of antebellum delusions."

Now, tell me what these delusions are. Give me some examples, or I'm not happy.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:30 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,813,989 times
Collar greens, smothered fried chicken, and beating your wife every night?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:37 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Yeah, maybe, but the Naval Jack is much nicer to look at that the CBF, which also doesn't flap in the breeze as much.

The people who display them, however, are not much of a bargain.
What an ignorant statement to say. I could say that there are many people who disply any flag are not much of a bargain, especially the ones who display the Mexican flag.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Collar greens, smothered fried chicken, and beating your wife every night?
Oh goodie...another one who knows nothing about which he posts.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:47 PM

491 posts, read 926,143 times
Quote:
Oh goodie...another one who knows nothing about which he posts.
I want you to enlighten us. I am a victim of my "elitist" New England and far West liberal, educated upbringing. Please, tell me all about Southern Heritage, and why it's so wonderful and consuming.

Last edited by godsavethequeens; 06-23-2009 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: Spelling correction.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
What an ignorant statement to say. I could say that there are many people who disply any flag are not much of a bargain, especially the ones who display the Mexican flag.
I grew up amongst them, sport.

Don't BS a BSer, as the old saying goes...

Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
I want you to enlighten us. I am a victim of my "elitist" New England and far West liberal, educated upbrining. Please, tell me all about Southern Heritage, and why it's so wonderful and consuming.
Did I say it was wonderful and consuming? No, I didn't but it is much more so than the New England area of our country. I will say this, people like you who hate for the sake of hating are not worth any time, so that being said....go get educated before you post things that show how ignorant you are about the subject at hand.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I grew up amongst them, sport.

Don't BS a BSer, as the old saying goes...
I would say you should follow your own statement...Don't BS and old BSer. I live here and I drive all over the place and don't see that many. Yes, there are a few here and there, but so damn what? I would rather see them than the Mexican flag that is also flown in Northwest Ar all over the place.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I would say you should follow your own statement...Don't BS and old BSer. I live here and I drive all over the place and don't see that many. Yes, there are a few here and there, but so damn what? I would rather see them than the Mexican flag that is also flown in Northwest Ar all over the place.
You ever see a klan rally with a cross burning and the stars and bars flapping away in the night?

My step-grandfather was a member. I know what he thought about the Confederate Flag, as did anyone who ever got within fifty yards of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies