Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 02:39 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
But on the other hand, since coming to city-data and getting involved in all these threads about homosexuality, I'm starting to feel less support for homosexuals. You're all SO self-righteous and absolutely UNWILLING to see the side of a heterosexual. It seems that it's either your way, or the highway.
I think your negative stereotypes are just being reinforced. This forum is mostly about conflicting opinions and adversarial debates. This is probably not a great place to get a good impression of ANY group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 02:45 PM

491 posts, read 925,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think your negative stereotypes are just being reinforced. This forum is mostly about conflicting opinions and adversarial debates. This is probably not a great place to get a good impression of ANY group.
I'm sorry, but I am not going to meet this woman halfway. She clearly has some views about gays and lesbians that she needs to rectify. She may express support for us, but she seems to be advocating cultural and legal segregation and exclusion, as well. You know as well as I do that that is completely unacceptable.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:50 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
But on the other hand, since coming to city-data and getting involved in all these threads about homosexuality, I'm starting to feel less support for homosexuals. You're all SO self-righteous and absolutely UNWILLING to see the side of a heterosexual. It seems that it's either your way, or the highway.

No...I actually get crap from gays for usually seeing hetero points, etc.
I just wish everyone (men, women, gays, straights) would grow up and stop thinking about everything with a sexual bent. I could give a crap who changes in front of me naked/showers/blah blah and vice versa. I don't care if a dude sees me naked or a gay chick sees me naked or whatever.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM

174 posts, read 570,471 times
OOO Noooooo. She's gonna take her tin dishes and go home. Well don't y'all feel bad? No? Me neither.

The post started out well. I had hope for a little self insight. Like, well, maybe she IS a little less supportive and open minded than she thinks she is.

But no. It's all our fault. She's gonna run off and vote against gay marriage because we were all such meanies.

Sheesh.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:59 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchseavey View Post
OOO Noooooo. She's gonna take her tin dishes and go home. Well don't y'all feel bad? No? Me neither.

The post started out well. I had hope for a little self insight. Like, well, maybe she IS a little less supportive and open minded than she thinks she is.

But no. It's all our fault. She's gonna run off and vote against gay marriage because we were all such meanies.

Sheesh.
People who claim to change their views because people on the other side were such meanies probably weren't all that firmly planted anyway.

Of course one person would know that not every black, gay, heterosexual, Hispanic, Asian, etc is alike but what do you expect in a thread that was SUPPOSED to be for gay and lesbian individuals?

Many Americans are changing and we won't change everyone's mind. What saddens me most is that we have to change people's mind to get them to VOTE in support of our rights under the law.

YouTube - Permission

Old 06-23-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Many Americans are changing and we won't change everyone's mind. What saddens me most is that we have to change people's mind to get them to VOTE in support of our rights under the law.
I can only hope that SCOTUS will continue to rule in our favor. California was a setback, but I am sure we will have future victories.

Screw the people. Minorities shouldn't have to wait for "the people" to get off their hypocritical, unfounded moral high horses and give us the rights we need and are entitled to as Americans.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,416 times
Quote:
DO NOT call me a bigot (directly or indirectly as some have done in their posts).
I haven't called you a bigot but I do have to address this point. If you did not care to share a shower, restroom or any of the other things you listed with a hispanic, a russian, an arab, a jew, a white, a black or any other a ___ you would indeed be a bigot regardless of your reasoning. Just saying.

As for the rest I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt but sorrier still that you don't see why anything you've said might have given others cause to respond to you as they did. Take that for what you will.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I knew better than to come back to this thread. I thought I could read your posts and then take the high road and just move on.

Nope. Can't do it.

DO NOT call me a bigot (directly or indirectly as some have done in their posts).

What kind of people are you who would degrade somebody who dares to question a few of the stickier aspects of homosexuality in today's society? I raise concerns that so many heterosexuals have, and yet you don't even attempt to address my concerns with any dignified or thoughtful responses. Instead, you just get indignant and insulting and start tossing around terms like "bigot".

Nothing I said was even remotely biggoted. I was being honest and forthright about my reservations and concerns.

Most of you are close-minded, stoic in your brick-wall thinking, and completely unwilling to meet anybody halfway so that they can better understand you.

And the irony of it is, that's exactly how you think we feel about YOU. Looks like it goes both ways, doesn't it?

This thread was nothing more than another "gay pride" thread with a lot of ego stroking and mutual affirmation. Nothing thought-provoking, no insight, no wisdom to be gained. I've seen countless threads like this: "Are you proud to be gay...blah blah blah?"

What's the point?
You need to understand how you come across to people, and then, maybe, you'll get why we're collectively responding to you the way we are. I will speak for myself in saying that I found your posts to be incredibly insensitive, judgmental, and a bit ignorant. Perhaps that wasn't your intention, I don't know, as I do not know you personally. But the fact that you say insulting things about a minority group, and then, when we try to show you how and why it's offensive to us, you keep pushing the same thing and refuse to acknowledge that you might be wrong, that says a lot about you.

Futhermore, this thread was directed at the gay and lesbian members on this site, but it was by no means exclusive. The "point" was to facilitate discussion on current issues and concerns facing our community. You committed your heterosexual thoughts to it, and people responded. You are under no obligation to post to any threads you don't wish to, and for you to say the things you've just said above, and throughout this thread, only helps to dig your grave a little deeper.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:11 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I haven't called you a bigot but I do have to address this point. If you did not care to share a shower, restroom or any of the other things you listed with a hispanic, a russian, an arab, a jew, a white, a black or any other a ___ you would indeed be a bigot regardless of your reasoning. Just saying.

As for the rest I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt but sorrier still that you don't see why anything you've said might have given others cause to respond to you as they did. Take that for what you will.
I deleted my post. It's really just not worth it to continue in this debate. I concede I'm no expert on human nature, psychology, sexuality, etc. I'm just an average Jane with an unpopular opinion in this forum.

My feelings aren't hurt. Far from it. I just feel that nothing I said was even considered outside of an instant judgment of hypocrisy and bigotry on my part. That frustrates me...it doesn't hurt my feelings.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Sigh....This is just another "I'm Gay, and nobody likes me" thread. Well, Boo hoo.

I'm not gay, but I'm not against gay rights either. On the contrary, I'm a staunch advocate of gay rights. I do NOT believe it is okay to discriminate against or villify the LGBT population.

But having said that, why can't gays give heteros a bit of a break? Most of us are ON your side. If you'd just quit feeling sorry for yourselves and stop whining, and just live your lives, things will fall into place. As a few have said in this thread, in the last decade many strides have been made in favor of gay rights. Rome wasn't built in a day, you know?

As a woman, I can look back in history on the oppression of women, but then I look at where we are today, and I see huge progress. It will come for the LGBT population too. Give it time.

As "unidentifiedmale" said, "Hang in there."
If most of "you" were really on "our" side we wouldn't need this discussion and 68% of Floridians would not have "voted" against gay marriage! We gay people still have a very long way to go; since I am fifty, I will not see equal rights....I am so proud to be an American
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies