Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:39 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times

Advertisements

Obama's Doctor Knocks ObamaCare - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 02:03 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
At least someone is waking up! Guess it's a start.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
From your link:

"Scheiner thinks that a good health reform would be "Medicare for all," a single-payer system where the government would cover everyone and pay for it by cutting out waste in the system. "A neurosurgeon gets paid $20,000 for cutting into the neck of my patient. Have him get paid $1 million a year instead of $2 million or $3 million. He won't starve," Scheiner says."

Really, you probably should read articles before you post links to them!

LOL!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:15 PM

297 posts, read 349,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
From your link:

"Scheiner thinks that a good health reform would be "Medicare for all," a single-payer system where the government would cover everyone and pay for it by cutting out waste in the system. "A neurosurgeon gets paid $20,000 for cutting into the neck of my patient. Have him get paid $1 million a year instead of $2 million or $3 million. He won't starve," Scheiner says."

LOL!
Thank you. You just made me literally LOL.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:26 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,515,537 times
I worked for a neurosurgeon and he NEVER got paid 20K for a single anterior cervical fusion surgery (or any other spine or brain case). All the payers in my area, rather Medicare, Medicaid or private insurance never paid more than $3,330 for such a surgery. Keep in mind the surgeon I worked for had to give unlimited, free outpatient postoperative care for 90 days after the surgery. So, after taxes, insurance, all of his overhead and 90 days of free care, he was lucky to keep 20 cents on the dollar, a total of $660 for a life changing surgery. Lets not also forget that this payment of $660 has also created a possible multi-million dollar liability in the event the patient decides to sue him.

I have no solutions to our nation's health care issues, but I would really appreciate it if this doctor spoke the truth about what a doctor really makes. Also, there is no way UHC will pay ANY doctor a million dollars a year. Heck, the neurosurgeon I worked for never collected more than 850K in receipts in one year before taxes, overhead and etc.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:32 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I worked for a neurosurgeon and he NEVER got paid 20K for a single anterior cervical fusion surgery (or any other spine or brain case). All the payers in my area, rather Medicare, Medicaid or private insurance never paid more than $3,330 for such a surgery. Keep in mind the surgeon I worked for had to give unlimited, free outpatient postoperative care for 90 days after the surgery. So, after taxes, insurance, all of his overhead and 90 days of free care, he was lucky to keep 20 cents on the dollar, a total of $660 for a life changing surgery. Lets not also forget that this payment of $660 has also created a possible multi-million dollar liability in the event the patient decides to sue him.

I have no solutions to our nation's health care issues, but I would really appreciate it if this doctor spoke the truth about what a doctor really makes. Also, there is no way UHC will pay ANY doctor a million dollars a year. Heck, the neurosurgeon I worked for never collected more than 850K in receipts in one year before taxes, overhead and etc.
Thank you for the logical response. Most people who advocate for UHC have no idea what that means or the reprocussions of such actions.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:50 PM

37,964 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
"I have a suspicion they pick people from the top echelon of medicine, people who write about it but haven't been struggling in it," he says.

That seems to be a theme with 0bama, he surrounds himself with the wealthy elites from Wall Street and the Ivy League schools, but very few, if anyone that I know of is a representative of small business owners, small financier or banker, small business entrepreneur, or people who worked their life in the private sector, or as his former doctor says, a doctor from a small private practice. so maybe his views of America, and the advice he is getting is all skewed.

0bama surrounds himself with the public sector elites, like those from the Clinton administration, Wall Street financial executives, former lobbyists, campaign fund-raisers, former journalists of the big network media and newspapers and magazines.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
"I have a suspicion they pick people from the top echelon of medicine, people who write about it but haven't been struggling in it," he says.

That seems to be a theme with 0bama, he surrounds himself with the wealthy elites from Wall Street and the Ivy League schools, but very few, if anyone that I know of is a representative of small business owners, small financier or banker, small business entrepreneur, or people who worked their life in the private sector, or as his former doctor says, a doctor from a small private practice. so maybe his views of America, and the advice he is getting is all skewed.

0bama surrounds himself with the public sector elites, like those from the Clinton administration, Wall Street financial executives, former lobbyists, campaign fund-raisers, former journalists of the big network media and newspapers and magazines.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:54 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post

Thank you for listing the real figures. People think Dr = RICH and they have no clue what Dr's actually make and what they actually take home.

My GP was working 6 days a week from 6am-7pm and his gross was just over 150K and then he had to pay wages, takes, rent,etc. He was living in a tiny 2 bedroom home and drove a old pick up truck.

He is only 42 and said he will probably never be able to retire because he can't save. The insurance companies were choking him and the IRS was digging in his pockets for any money he had left. It's a shame.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:44 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
From your link:

LOL!

I posted it for a topic to debate other then to try and trash republicans for showing up to work or something silly like most of the republican trashing threads

I didnt post it for one side or the other , other then to have a serious thread started.

How is that so wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies