Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the re-election of George W. Bush make you want to leave the U.S.? If so, for which country?
Canada 13 36.11%
Some other country 23 63.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,712 times

Advertisements

After GWB was re-elected U.S. president in 2004, there seemed to be a swell of U.S. residents (citizens and non) wanting to flee the U.S. as fast as possible. Canada was certainly at the top of the list for many. To my understanding, these American ex-pats-to-be became (affectionately?) know as "Bush Refugees" in Canada.

Any Canadians care to elaborate on this? How was this phenomenon of Bush-fleeing Americans perceived in Canada? Did Canadians even care?

Interestingly enough, a couple of years later the conservatives took power in Canada, too. But I suspect that Steven Harper, though right-wing, is somewhere left of Bill Clinton. True?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 07:49 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,243,082 times
That's my plan. Even considering a MOC. The prospect of Pres. Guliani (Bush with a brain) is not very reassuring after witnessing his dictatorial regime here in NYC.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:23 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,997 times
There was a lot of media hoopla about it, but did many people actually leave? Are there any sort of concrete numbers that show a jump in Americans moving to Canada in the years after the 2004 election? I'm curious.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:12 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,792 times
I am STILL waiting for Alex Baldwin to leave the building

Old 03-13-2007, 09:15 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,910,798 times
we are still waiting for all of them to leave, we had to put up with Clinton for 8 years and if they dont want to put up with diversity of thought, ideas and viewpoints why havent they gone to canada or france or venezuela??

Old 03-13-2007, 09:20 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,990,063 times
A few high profile people/celebrities said they'd leave....they all stayed. Guess living in America trumpets whoever is president!
I wish they'd left.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:33 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I am STILL waiting for Alex Baldwin to leave the building
After the election I sent him a letter asking if I could come over and help him pack his bags. When he didn't leave, I sent another telling him I would pay for his airline ticket if he left. Neither got a reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
we are still waiting for all of them to leave, we had to put up with Clinton for 8 years and if they dont want to put up with diversity of thought, ideas and viewpoints why havent they gone to canada or france or venezuela??
Or Russia, or Cuba, or North Korea .............

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
A few high profile people/celebrities said they'd leave....they all stayed. Guess living in America trumpets whoever is president! I wish they'd left.
It helps to once again prove some of my theories -

1. There are more people with money than brains
2. Many celebrities would be living in a trailer park if it wasn't for their 'celebrity' status
3. Many celebrities don't know when to ****!

Old 03-13-2007, 10:50 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
There was a lot of media hoopla about it, but did many people actually leave? Are there any sort of concrete numbers that show a jump in Americans moving to Canada in the years after the 2004 election? I'm curious.
I suspect that a large number of the Californians who have left their state in the last two years did head to Canada or farther away. I know a few who did.

BTW Harper is NOT to Clinton's left, he's a Bush clone, the difference between him and GWB is the political realities of Canada holding a check on his right wing ambitions.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I suspect that a large number of the Californians who have left their state in the last two years did head to Canada or farther away. I know a few who did.
If any of the 'Hollywood Elite' want to go live in another country let them know that I will be happy to subsidize their departure.

Especially someone like Michael Moore or Alek Baldwin.

Who should I make the check out to?

Are you sure they didn't leave because the state is being overrun with illegal Mexican immigrants?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
If any of the 'Hollywood Elite' want to go live in another country let them know that I will be happy to subsidize their departure.

Especially someone like Michael Moore or Alek Baldwin.

Who should I make the check out to?

Are you sure they didn't leave because the state is being overrun with illegal Mexican immigrants?
People have many different reasons for moving, and often it is a combination of factors that drive them away. I've known people who have left who have cited both the negative effects of illegal administration AND the Bush administration in their decisions to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies