Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM

221 posts, read 219,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am in healthcare and I have posted on many threads why it is a bad idea, even this one. Americans will be very unhappy with UHC, as proposed, if it ever happens.
If you are in healthcare then you would know that Americans are very unhappy with our present system. You have no way of knowing that a uhc would not work yet we have many examples of how they do work. I would trust a working model over a unworkable theory any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, except good judgement.
Getting silly now. If the bill was passed by both houses the constitution would not stop it.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
If you are in healthcare then you would know that Americans are very unhappy with our present system. You have no way of knowing that a uhc would not work yet we have many examples of how they do work. I would trust a working model over a unworkable theory any day.

I am really tired, look back through this thread and you will see why.

I will say this. The countries you reference are very homogeneous, they are much smaller that the US (Ireland would fit into 1 great lake.) They don't have the illegal alien issue we have. Savings would not occur, accounting for the removal of insurance company profit you would insure 30 million more people any savings would be wiped out and then some. The CBO estimates $1.6 trillion price tag (when Medicare started they estimated it owuld cost 12 trillion by 1990, in 1990 it cost 113 trillion). So to cut cost care would be rationed (denied, some people would simply not get services).

Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Getting silly now. If the bill was passed by both houses the constitution would not stop it.
Depends, if they tried a single payer system it wouldn't pass constitutional muster. A hybrid (private/public) would.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I am really tired, look back through this thread and you will see why.
Sleep well but i have looked and nothing on here except good reports about a uhc and a few posters giving no real factual reasons as to why a uhc could not work in America.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:44 PM

The more people i talk to everyday the more they agree we need a uhc. Let us hope that keeps growing as it is.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
The more people i talk to everyday the more they agree we need a uhc. Let us hope that keeps growing as it is.

Be careful what you wish for.

Believe me I don't really care. I will always have private care regardless of what the government does (except of course if they bar it) In a lot of ways it would personally benefit from it. But I know the American people would be very unhappy with it.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,571,923 times
I have a interesting story to share. This week I took a family member to the doctor & while there struck up a conversation with a lady who recently emigrated from Cuba over two months ago. Her daughter developed a hernia here and needed to be operated on but she has no health insurance. She decided instead to return to Cuba where her daughter was operated on free of charge and is wondering how Americans live with this sytem. It was a interesting discussion and i'm not championing communist healthcare but her point of view made sense in many ways.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
If the President wrote a bill tomorrow for a uhc in America and it was passed by the senate and congress, nothing would stop it going through. Is that right?
The President does not write legislation

There are two (2) Houses of Congress: the Senate and the House of Representatives.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Whatever changes come (and there needs to be changes), as long as health insurance remains VOLUNTARY - not COMPULSORY - it would be more acceptable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies