Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,102 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO U.S. Census Bureau officials said Friday that married same-sex couples will be counted as such in the 2010 national tally, reversing an earlier decision made under the Bush administration.

2010 Census Will Count Same-Sex Couples In Reversal Of Bush Policy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
reversing an earlier decision made under the Bush administration

When did Bush make this decision or is this just another lie? I cant see why Bush would be making ANY decisions on a census that would take place two years after he leaves office and before any groundwork and layout would be put into place..

Old 06-21-2009, 07:29 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
reversing an earlier decision made under the Bush administration

When did Bush make this decision or is this just another lie? I cant see why Bush would be making ANY decisions on a census that would take place two years after he leaves office and before any groundwork and layout would be put into place..
Good point, can't recall Bush making any sort of a decision for his last 8 years...

Old 06-21-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Good point, can't recall Bush making any sort of a decision for his last 8 years...
Was that yourbest attempt to dispute my statement? Really? Thats the best you can do? Man thats just sad...

Old 06-21-2009, 08:23 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
There was no census count under President Bush anyhow. The last census was taken in the summer of 2000, I know because I was an enumerator.

What would be the problem with counting same sex couples, I don't see anything wrong with them being counted because the USA should count same sex couples who are married in the census. They are a demographic which should be counted as well.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There was no census count under President Bush anyhow. The last census was taken in the summer of 2000, I know because I was an enumerator.

What would be the problem with counting same sex couples, I don't see anything wrong with them being counted because the USA should count same sex couples who are married in the census. They are a demographic which should be counted as well.
Yes, they should be counted, the question is, when did Bush ever say they wouldnt be? When did straight couples not married but living together begin to get counted?

As far as that goes, the Census takers will get

FOUR from me and nothing more. FOUR, the number of people in my household..

Old 06-21-2009, 09:00 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

What will they do with that data? Of what use is data like that?

Married men and women I can understand, because 90% of them have children during their marriage, even if they were not planned. When the government counts married men & women, thee government is looking at potential population growth in the future. But is there the same potential for future population growth from of two gay guys who are married?

Now if they want to count the gay marriages, and ascertain how many of them have adopted children, then those figures are useful by the census. So perhaps they will be checking to see what percentage of gay couples are adopting children, and what percentage have no intentions of adopting.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:12 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
SAN FRANCISCO U.S. Census Bureau officials said Friday that married same-sex couples will be counted as such in the 2010 national tally, reversing an earlier decision made under the Bush administration.

2010 Census Will Count Same-Sex Couples In Reversal Of Bush Policy
If they are going to state a claim that 0bama is "... reversing an earlier decision made under the Bush administration" then it is damn lazy journalism not to offer proof of the statement that Bush went out of his way to ban gay couples from being counted, especially when they insert the statement into the title of the article. The article mentions Bush in the first sentence, and that is the only mention of Bush in the entire article.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:43 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
What will they do with that data? Of what use is data like that?

Married men and women I can understand, because 90% of them have children during their marriage, even if they were not planned. When the government counts married men & women, thee government is looking at potential population growth in the future. But is there the same potential for future population growth from of two gay guys who are married?

Now if they want to count the gay marriages, and ascertain how many of them have adopted children, then those figures are useful by the census. So perhaps they will be checking to see what percentage of gay couples are adopting children, and what percentage have no intentions of adopting.
So you're saying only those who have children really matter in the Census?
Interesting.......

I know plenty of same-sex couples who want children...lesbians who want artificial insemination, two men who want a surrogate...

I personally don't want kids so I guess I shouldn't be counted.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:45 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,292,229 times
i dont know if bush did this or not but i know the last day in office all president sign bunch of crap and its never made public...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies