Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
George Will calls right wing attacks on Obama's Iran response "foolish criticism"

YouTube - George Will calls right wing attacks on Obama's Iran response "foolish criticism"

Interesting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 11:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
And I agree with George Will. I feel it would, indeed, be very foolish for Obama to go further w/ statements than he has already gone. This is a matter for Iran's citizens to decide what they are willing to put on the line in order to make their statement.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:32 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And I agree with George Will. I feel it would, indeed, be very foolish for Obama to go further w/ statements than he has already gone. This is a matter for Iran's citizens to decide what they are willing to put on the line in order to make their statement.

Indeed.

There is a point where partisanship becomes an interference to objectivity, and blinds one to the true art, skill and value of diplomacy to a State.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:00 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,282,499 times
Yes, but George Will is an "elitist." Beck and Hannity, the "real Americans," disagree.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Indeed.

There is a point where partisanship becomes an interference to objectivity, and blinds one to the true art, skill and value of diplomacy to a State.
The sad thing is, Walidm, I honestly think the majority of Americans - and I mean - over 75% - actually AGREE on almost every single issue facing this country today. Yet, the media gives time to the most outrageous voices on the extremes of BOTH parties.

I feel I have no real political party to even be aligned with these days! I am a moderate - lean left on social issues and lean right on fiscal issues.

I am sickened by the far right wing of the GOP and by the far left wing of the DEM party. Yet, I know that neither of these groups really represent either party!

I honestly don't think most people see life as black and white. And I don't think most Americans appreciate seeing political leaders demonized, yet that is what we are confronted with daily in the media. It just serves to divide us - even when we basically agree on the issues!

I remember the screaming matches my dad and I had during the Viet Nam war, LOL. That was the ONLY time I got away w/ raising my voice to my Dad. We were on opposite sides of the fence and it got nasty. But all the rhetoric didn't solve a thing. In the end, all of America wanted only one thing, regardless of who was a "hawk" and who was a "dove" - everyone just wanted our troops brought home.

I think that is what goes on today . . . Americans actually just want to be able to have a job and earn a fair day's wage; we want to live in decent housing in safe neighborhoods; we want to be able to educate our children well; we want good, reasonably priced healthcare; we want fair taxation.

Honestly - aren't those the issues that really matter? So much of the rest of the stuff has to do more with "philosophy" than it does "rights."

As for Iran . . . anyone who is out there berating the President to "say more, do more" . . . I gotta ask: How ya feeling about how things have turned out in Iraq? 4000 dead and those people don't even want us in their country!!! And all the money out of our coffers for a group of people who hate our guts - damn. Not my idea of success.

If the Iranians come together in a grassroots movement and are willing to risk their lives in trying to achieve more autonomy . . . then they have to do it themselves. This is not a gift we - or any other country - can give them. Freedom is something that a society has to be willing to sacrifice for - and no one else can do it for them.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Old don't rock the boat Georege Will. The only time he is controversail is when the pols get low;toyhersie he is a don't make waves wshington inside that depends on his sources so he is critical really.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,212,133 times
Seems like McCain and Graham cannot remember back to March, 1991 when George H W Bush encouraged the Iraqi Kurds to rise up against Saddam Hussain without any assistance from the US.

They were all killed.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Yes, but George Will is an "elitist." Beck and Hannity, the "real Americans," disagree.
Ah, yes. "Real Americans" like Sarah Palin and Carrie Prejean, I'm sure.

No, George Will is an intellectual conservative, which is increasingly an oxymoron and a shrinking minority.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:01 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,850,341 times
Some conservatives I know in real life think the same way. George Will speaks the truth.. It's hard to take them serious when they are attacking Obama over a teleprompter, when they should been encouraging Bush to try everything to keep him from sounding like an idiot everytime he spoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies