Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times

Advertisements

It just galls me to no end to say this, but the Bush strategy for winning the mis-named War on Terror may have been right all along.

I've been among those who have not only doubted the efficacy of installing democracies in the Middle East as a strategy for containing radical Islam, I've taken the previous administration to task many times for their miscalculations and lack of planning.

Now, however, a clear, critical look at the region reveals some interesting facts:

1. There really are functioning democracies in Iraq and Afghanistan, though the jury is still out on where that will ultimately end up.

2. Lebanon held an election and did NOT install Hizbollah as the dominant party in their government.

3. The tide of Islam seems to be receding in domestic Turkish politics.

4. Iran is in turmoil, with the mullah's in Tehran clinging to power by the barrel of a gun.

5. The military dicatorship of Musharaff in Pakistan is over and he's been replaced by a democratically elected government which is going after the Taliban and al Queda with a vengence.

I never believed in the idea of democracy by osmosis. It seemed far fetched to think that a couple of fledgling democracies in the region could sort of "spill over" to other countries, but that's exactly what appears to be happening.

Yes, it's difficult, if not downright impossible, to establish a clear quid pro quo, and the outcome is in doubt, but the fact remains that democracy is breaking out all over the place there, especially in Iran, which I thought would be the major winner from our excursion into Iraq.

I could be wrong. If the the current unrest brings down the Islamic Republic, I'll have to tip my hat to the Bush administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
You being a new poster here, it would have been nice to see evidence that you "changed" your mind.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:37 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,943,303 times
Still kit, Thankyou for that honest post...I had the same doubts of installing democracies in the Middle East...only time will tell...

Old 06-22-2009, 05:40 PM

134 posts, read 151,287 times
It has been proven before in Japan and Germany. Give the citizenry a choice and they will take democracy every time. Human nature.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
I guess many more people will see over time that Bush did a great job and it wasn't always the easiest decision to make.

9/11 wasn't something Al Quada did over night they had years of research and making plans. Learning how to fly planes and under Clinton the plan was made but under Bush they were ready to attack. Bush kept us safe after that and with his harsh words he showed America is a strong country and not a country that will not act if attacked. Under Obama we see what is happening. Obama is buying ice creams with his wife, go play golf while in Iran people are almost begging the world and the US to speak up for them. I'm not saying that Obama can't eat ice cream or play golf but he is trying to get on tv as much as possible otherwise he would send another person to buy ice cream and eat it inside the White House just as many other leaserd have done. Obama thinks that being cool is the way to lead this country....

Old 06-22-2009, 05:49 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Let's wait 30 years.

In 30 years history will be far kinder to George Bush than his contemporaries.

Not unlike Truman.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:49 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It just galls me to no end to say this, but the Bush strategy for winning the mis-named War on Terror may have been right all along.

I've been among those who have not only doubted the efficacy of installing democracies in the Middle East as a strategy for containing radical Islam, I've taken the previous administration to task many times for their miscalculations and lack of planning.

Now, however, a clear, critical look at the region reveals some interesting facts:

1. There really are functioning democracies in Iraq and Afghanistan, though the jury is still out on where that will ultimately end up.

2. Lebanon held an election and did NOT install Hizbollah as the dominant party in their government.

4. Iran is in turmoil, with the mullah's in Tehran clinging to power by the barrel of a gun.

5. The military dicatorship of Musharaff in Pakistan is over and he's been replaced by a democratically elected government which is going after the Taliban and al Queda with a vengence.

I never believed in the idea of democracy by osmosis. It seemed far fetched to think that a couple of fledgling democracies in the region could sort of "spill over" to other countries, but that's exactly what appears to be happening.

Yes, it's difficult, if not downright impossible, to establish a clear quid pro quo, and the outcome is in doubt, but the fact remains that democracy is breaking out all over the place there, especially in Iran, which I thought would be the major winner from our excursion into Iraq.

I could be wrong. If the the current unrest brings down the Islamic Republic, I'll have to tip my hat to the Bush administration.
Welcome to some "real clear thinking" (I just made that up, and it's based on the "Real Clear Poitics", etc. — no intent to offend).

Some have said that "freedom and democracy do not have to be "imposed" on a people. It is the natural yearning of mankind.

I think that this is why we were successful in Iraq, and Afghanistan (though Afghanistan is still touch and go), and why the people in Iran need our support. They want their freedom. And it is clear that their election was rigged.

People all over the world are no different from us. They have families, and they want to live without undo interference from their governments. They want freedom. It does not have to be forced on them.

Women are oppressed in some of these countries, run by "religious" males who lord it over them, and see them as inferior. This is not right.Women in America fought that battle many, many years ago, and America is better for it.

Give these women the same chance to determine their own destiny, and set their course as they see fit. It is only right, and humane that they should do so.

I'm so happy that you have seen the light. Keep the faith and spread the word.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You being a new poster here, it would have been nice to see evidence that you "changed" your mind.
Yes, I would agree with this.

It seems like the OP is pro-Imperialism on the condition that it is "successful" (however one defines that).

Old 06-22-2009, 06:00 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,832,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

so you wish to bring down an islamic ran country but allow an jewish country to be ran?

5. puppet goverment
6.turkey has always been outspoken about islam being mixed with their politics. this has nothing to do with bush they always wanted secular but nonetheless they still have islam as a religion, comprehend.

1.the USA IS STILL IN IRAQ, what is a democracy, why arent we in saudi arabia when was the last time they had elections?

2. seeiung that this iscoming from a perspective from an american it has nothing to do with war on terror. lol

Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,832,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Welcome to some "real clear thinking" (I just made that up, and it's based on the "Real Clear Poitics", etc. — no intent to offend).

Some have said that "freedom and democracy do not have to be "imposed" on a people. It is the natural yearning of mankind.

I think that this is why we were successful in Iraq, and Afghanistan (though Afghanistan is still touch and go), and why the people in Iran need our support. They want their freedom. And it is clear that their election was rigged.

People all over the world are no different from us. They have families, and they want to live without undo interference from their governments. They want freedom. It does not have to be forced on them.

Women are oppressed in some of these countries, run by "religious" males who lord it over them, and see them as inferior. This is not right.Women in America fought that battle many, many years ago, and America is better for it.

Give these women the same chance to determine their own destiny, and set their course as they see fit. It is only right, and humane that they should do so.

I'm so happy that you have seen the light. Keep the faith and spread the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies