Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Supreme Court Justices be elected directly by the voters..?
YES 13 15.48%
NO 71 84.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,970 times

Advertisements

On the eve of a SCJ nomination,the subject comes up...

Should SCJ be appointed by the Pres & approved by the Senate or should the voters elect them by voting..?

I believe in democracy. All persons of real power should be elected DIRECTLY by the people,not chosen indirectly,by already elected politicians...

It is better politics...It is a better system...

What do u think ..?

Remember to vote in the poll too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,970 times
I voted YES with both hands...
SCJ have even higher power that the President himself...
With a 5-4 vote they can nullify laws of the Congress ,supported by the President...

It is completely stupid to fight...tooth & nail for elections of politicians & accept a non democratic process for politicians higher in power than the President,Senators,Reps,Governors & state legislators...

So,YES,by all means...

Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
With a 5-4 vote they can nullify laws of the Congress ,supported by the President...

It is completely stupid to fight...tooth & nail for elections of politicians & accept a non democratic process for politicians higher in power than the President,Senators,Reps,Governors & state legislators...

So,YES,by all means...
MY GOD, NO. We elect the other two branches of our government and look at the mess we have with that system, today.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:54 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Absolutely not. Ever since Marbury v. Madison one of the central functions of the Supreme Court has been to evaluate whether the actions of the legislative and executive branches have been taken in conformity with the law. If we were faced with a situation in which candidates for the Supreme Court had to campaign for votes, presumably with the support of political parties, we could forget any pretense that the Court would be making its decisions on the basis of the law, rather than the political views of the justices and the people that elected them.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:54 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,234,548 times
If you're looking for democracy then maybe you should move to Greece. Take cash.

The U.S. is a constitutional republic.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:55 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:

So,YES,by all means...
Are you completely out of your mind? The public can barely muster enough knowledge to select their city councilmen, how could they make an informed decision on a SC candidate.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:56 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,595 times
Quote:

Should SCJ be appointed by the Pres & approved by the Senate or should the voters elect them by voting..?

I believe in democracy. All persons of real power should be elected DIRECTLY by the people,not chosen indirectly,by already elected politicians...

What do u think ..?

All of these feelings of yours would be appropriate if we actually lived in a democracy. But since we live in a constitution-based federal republic then voting for a Supreme Court Justice would go against the law of the land. Therefore I voted no.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:00 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
I voted no because the electorate-at-large is too ill-informed, too easily swayed and too fickle to make an important decision like that. However, I would entertain the idea of a 10 or 12 year term for SC justices.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:00 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Yes, we'd all love to have Justin Timberline or Pamela Anderson as Supreme Court justices. Ordinary people off the street don't have the expertise to know if a person is truly qualified to be a justice or not. It's a lifetime job, we can't afford to let popularity win the high court.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:

What do u think ..?

destroy the constitution, no thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies