Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 08:11 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Why is this so difficult for you to understand that a Nurse, has a boss who needs to account for your location DURING your hours because you have people that rely on you being there. A Governor is the boss, and able to take a vacation at a moments notice. Very similar to CEO's and other bosses. I decided tonight, I leave at 7AM for a 5 day vacation, no need to notify the world I'm leaving... A Governor is no different than a CEO.. Sure its the right thing to notify people your leaving but your under no obligation. A chain of command is there for a reason, the fact that your not on top does not mean your a professional, but your not the one in charge..

If your boss needs to know your location during your OFF hours, I suggest you think about switching companies or complaining to human resources, your boss sounds like he/she is a stalker..

Sorry, its the way it is..
Does your boss notice if you disappear for four days at a time?

Would your kids care if you'd been gone for days and Father's Day came and went and still no word from you?

Maybe not, but the normal part of the country gets apprehensive about such a person's ability to handle his job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 08:12 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
I decided tonight, I leave at 7AM for a 5 day vacation, no need to notify the world I'm leaving... A Governor is no different than a CEO.. Sure its the right thing to notify people your leaving but your under no obligation. Sorry, its the way it is..
Technically you might be correct, but that behavior would make one a very, very terrible CEO or governor.

What you are describing is a trait of someone who wants to be a boss and not a leader. I would argue that that is exactly what is wrong with so many of our CEOs and politicians and the companies and states/districts they represent. Too many want to be a boss, too few want to be a leader.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
If your off Fri/Sat/Sun, and you decide to get up and go away, your under no obligation to tell people your taking a weekend trip. If you do, thats your business but I dont care what my employees do on their time off and if one of them insisted on telling me, I'd have to fire them so I dont get too annoyed. Off time is off time for a very simple reason.. because the boss doesnt give a flying f what your doing on your own time.
The Lt. Governor of SC has a different perspective, which seems quite reasonable, even if the Governor and Lt. Governor aren't the closest of allies:
Bauer said Sanford had left the state vulnerable in his absence, since it lacked a chain of command in case of emergency. "He represents four-and-a-half million people of our state. He is our CEO," said Bauer. "And so a lot of people depend on him for the leadership in which this state goes every day. And so not being able to reach him if there were a prison outbreak or if there some kind of imminent danger, to not be able to be reach out and look to the governor for his leadership concerns all of us."
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - SC Lt Gov: Sanford will have to answer questions « - Blogs from CNN.com

Old 06-23-2009, 08:16 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Ummm, yes it is.
Look at a map. You have to backtrack quite a bit to get from SC to the A.T. if you go through Atlanta. It's not on the way. Anyway, you are the guy (or gal) who claims to be from (or "in") SC and was insistent that the A.T goes through SC, when, in fact, it indisputably does not.

This is moot, though, since your governor want to Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, which is SOUTH of downtown Atlanta. Clearly his whole story is BS.

Last edited by JPD; 06-23-2009 at 08:35 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 08:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Why is this so difficult for you to understand that a Nurse, has a boss who needs to account for your location DURING your hours because you have people that rely on you being there. A Governor is the boss, and able to take a vacation at a moments notice. Very similar to CEO's and other bosses. I decided tonight, I leave at 7AM for a 5 day vacation, no need to notify the world I'm leaving... A Governor is no different than a CEO.. Sure its the right thing to notify people your leaving but your under no obligation. A chain of command is there for a reason, the fact that your not on top does not mean your a professional, but your not the one in charge..

If your boss needs to know your location during your OFF hours, I suggest you think about switching companies or complaining to human resources, your boss sounds like he/she is a stalker..

Sorry, its the way it is..
Last things first, I didn't say that.

"It's the way it is . . ." Because that's the way it is for you, a sole proprietor (or whatever) you a*s*s*ume that it's that way for everybody. This is why I"m not so taken with the alleged qualification for elective office of having "met a payroll". People in business just don't seem to understand how government works. Now I'm sure you've never worked for the govt., but I have. You do have to follow protocol, even the head honcho. Sorry, its (sic) the way it is.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:38 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
If your off Fri/Sat/Sun, and you decide to get up and go away, your under no obligation to tell people your taking a weekend trip. If you do, thats your business but I dont care what my employees do on their time off and if one of them insisted on telling me, I'd have to fire them so I dont get too annoyed. Off time is off time for a very simple reason.. because the boss doesnt give a flying f what your doing on your own time.

I'm sure you'd be the first to complain if bosses required you to tell them where your going 24 hrs a day..
Are you serious? You are now completely backtracking on what you said before. Good god, you're hopeless. We're not talking about "having off" on the weekend. We're talking about taking a vacation w/out letting anyone know that you're taking a vacation. Are you really that obtuse?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:43 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Last things first, I didn't say that.

"It's the way it is . . ." Because that's the way it is for you, a sole proprietor (or whatever) you a*s*s*ume that it's that way for everybody. This is why I"m not so taken with the alleged qualification for elective office of having "met a payroll". People in business just don't seem to understand how government works. Now I'm sure you've never worked for the govt., but I have. You do have to follow protocol, even the head honcho. Sorry, its (sic) the way it is.
Yes, I work for government as well & even the head of the department lets others know when they are going on vacation. My friend owned a small gift shop w/someone else & he didn't just take off & go up north, he told his partner. Whatever that person is saying is complete BS unless as you said, they are sole proprietor. And when you're sole proprietor, obviously you are the only one in business so why would you tell yourself you're going on vacation? Absurd.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
So was he in rehab or shacked up with someone ???

Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
I hope it wasnt rehab, that's not interesting.

Im sure the reporters know what plane it was and where it went, what city....and Im sure, or I hope, they're having the time of their lives tracking down this story!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:19 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I hope it wasnt rehab, that's not interesting.

Im sure the reporters know what plane it was and where it went, what city....and Im sure, or I hope, they're having the time of their lives tracking down this story!
"""I hope it wasnt rehab, that's not interesting."""

Agree.

Will there be photos!!!!????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies