Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the GOP remove social issues from the party platform?
No way! The GOP should focus on social issues even MORE than fiscal issues. 0 0%
Yes. The GOP should focus on fiscal issues and drop the social issues. 22 53.66%
The GOP should continue to focus on both moral and fiscal issues. 9 21.95%
I don't care what the GOP does. 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:19 PM

491 posts, read 926,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'm very libertarian on social issues but the "honor system" doesn't work in business. There is no honor in business. You lie, you cheat, you steal and you hope like hell you don't get caught. What people don't know can't hurt them.
Exactly, which is why I feel government intervention is necessary in that regard. I've never bought in to the Adam Smith line of thinking when it comes to capitalism and free markets, and I never will. It's too treacherous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 02:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Ok, would it make you feel better if I said the "known" homosexuals on the forum? Those that are known to be openly gay are speaking very loudly about the "GOP family values hypocrisy." All you have to do is go back to the Sanford thread and see that.
The vast majority of posters on this forum are heterosexual. Sure, a lot of the homosexual posters complain about the GOP's "family values" positions, but they're far outnumbered by the heterosexual posters who complain about it.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,143 times
both parties should drop social issues. they should focus on keeping taxes low and staying the f out of our business.

but that won't happen.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:23 PM

491 posts, read 926,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, I think some regulation is good. My point is that Americans - especially Republicans - say they want government out of their lives, but they don't really mean it. They're afraid of people having too much freedom.
OK, I agree.

Quote:
Nope. The fact that the LP has a lot fewer rules than the Republican and Democratic Parties is what scares people off, in my opinion.
Interesting perspective. So people feel safer with a degree of corruption and bureaucracy, rather than a platform of purity. Is that what you're saying?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I think they should focus more on social issues and go even further to the right so they can continue to lose votes.
I guess you haven't heard the press conference of Governor Sanford. In fact, it is too obvious that you haven't hear about it.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:25 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you haven't heard the press conference of Governor Sanford. In fact, it is too obvious that you haven't hear about it.
If you have a link of the video, that would be nice.
I don't have cable so right now my choices are pretty limited when it comes to tv.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
Interesting perspective. So people feel safer with a degree of corruption and bureaucracy, rather than a platform of purity. Is that what you're saying?
I think I've been very clear, but I'll say it one last time: I believe that most Americans say they want as much freedom as possible, but they don't really mean it. They prefer to have restrictions on businesses and personal behavior.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Lasiez-Faire has proven time after time it fails and 'social' issues like abortion, gay marriage, and stem-cell research have no place in politics
Then you would be in favor of overruling the most basic thing in Democrat thinking, the Supreme Court ruling that gave the ok to abortion? Ah come on you aren't for that.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
The lack of votes is stopping them.

I will agree they are a bit extreme.
I don't agree with a lot of their economic stances but I like that they're for lower taxes.
You like that Libertarians are for lower taxes and yet, you support Democrats over Republicans. I think your vote is base on pure hatred.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Two things, in my opinion:

1. America's fear of freedom. I think most Americans actually like to be controlled by a higher authority.

2. The Libertarian Party's purity. If they could be a little more realistic and practical and allow a few compromises, they could probably gain some support.
Compromise with the Democrats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies