Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times

Advertisements

Fireworks over Baghdad as Iraqis take over cities - wtop.com

Quote:
June 29, 2009 - 9:31pm

By KIM GAMEL and PATRICK QUINN
Associated Press Writers

BAGHDAD (AP) - Iraqi forces assumed formal control of Baghdad and other cities Tuesday after American troops handed over security in urban areas in a defining step toward ending the U.S. combat role in the country. A countdown clock broadcast on Iraqi TV ticked to zero as the midnight deadline passed for U.S. combat troops to finish their pullback to bases outside cities.

"The withdrawal of American troops is completed now from all cities after everything they sacrificed for the sake of security," said Sadiq al-Rikabi, a senior adviser to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. "We are now celebrating the restoration of sovereignty."
I'm so happy for the Iraqi people. May their country thrive and prosper.

And thank you, President Obama, for keeping your word and pulling combat troops out, so Iraq can begin healing from the damage we caused to their country when we stormed in and started bombing them and shooting them up into smithereens.

And one last thanks, to all the men and women in uniform who served. I don't have to agree with the mission to appreciate your dedication. I can support you without supporting the war you were ordered into.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,292,897 times
this is what i voted for.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:15 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,034,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Fireworks over Baghdad as Iraqis take over cities - wtop.com

I'm so happy for the Iraqi people. May their country thrive and prosper.

And thank you, President Obama, for keeping your word and pulling combat troops out, so Iraq can begin healing from the damage we caused to their country when we stormed in and started bombing them and shooting them up into smithereens.

And one last thanks, to all the men and women in uniform who served. I don't have to agree with the mission to appreciate your dedication. I can support you without supporting the war you were ordered into.
bullcrap how can you give obama credit for any sucess in Iraq.it was Bush that liberated Iraq.not the messiah. and no thanks on the thanks to our men in uniform. my nephew just back thinks he did a good thing liberating Iraq. he is Amy, my other nephew is Marine and was there and my other nephew was with the peace corp in afganistan. obama can never claim the glory for these young mens sacrifice in my eyes

Old 06-29-2009, 08:21 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times
Funny. You quoted me, yet your reply doesn't address anything that even resembles what I said.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:25 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
bullcrap how can you give obama credit for any sucess in Iraq.it was Bush that liberated Iraq.not the messiah. and no thanks on the thanks to our men in uniform. my nephew just back thinks he did a good thing liberating Iraq. he is Amy, my other nephew is Marine and was there and my other nephew was with the peace corp in afganistan. obama can never claim the glory for these young mens sacrifice in my eyes
'Liberated' - very interesting choice of words.
Let's see, just what were the Iraqi people liberated from:
electricity
running water
heat
schools
their priceless historical artifacts
their children
How long has it been since the former President declared 'Mission Accomplished' ? Only six years.

Unlike your Mr. Bush, I don't believe that Mr. Obama will ever try to take credit for ending what never should have started.
However, I, like the OP, will say 'Thanks' - this is exactly what I voted for.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:26 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,484 times
Sorry Jill, Obama hasn't kept his promise on Iraq. He said that all the troops would be out in 16 months and he added an extra 3 months on to that. Were talking about at least another $30 billion of wasted tax money on a dumb war. Also, I don't call 35,000 to 50,000 person residual force ending the war in Iraq. For such a dumb war, Obama sure is taking a long time to end it.

By the way, this is an Obama supporter that volunteered a whole month for his campaign writing this. Us progressives (assuming you are one too) need to stop acting like Obama is jesus and start holding his feet to the fire; otherwise we won't get the change that we voted for.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Sorry Jill, Obama hasn't kept his promise on Iraq. He said that all the troops would be out in 16 months and he added an extra 3 months on to that. Were talking about at least another $30 billion of wasted tax money on a dumb war. Also, I don't call 35,000 to 50,000 person residual force ending the war in Iraq. For such a dumb war, Obama sure is taking a long time to end it.

By the way, this is an Obama supporter that volunteered a whole month for his campaign writing this. Us progressives (assuming you are one too) need to stop acting like Obama is jesus and start holding his feet to the fire; otherwise we won't get the change that we voted for.
Sorry for you that you don't remember his saying that he has to deal with the economy first since it continued to bomb after he became president. He's making progress as much as is humanly possible. Like to see what you'd do.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,316,883 times
Without us being there the only fireworks these people would ever seen are those that blow up and kill people or the ones one the way to being gassed by Hussein.

No, thank George Bush for allowing the PEOPLE of Iraq to be free from a killer dictator.

And the promise is not kept until every single military person is out of Iraq. So far, he has lied to us.

For those who want to give Obama credit for Iraq being a success you show your ignorance when you do this, afterall Obama voted to take away needed funds for the troops 2 times.

THANKS to GW BUSH for making Iraq a free country!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,316,883 times
Guess the surge Obama voted against WORKED!

Another wrong choice for the village idiot.

Is he on the wrong side of right all the time?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Without us being there the only fireworks these people would ever seen are those that blow up and kill people or the ones one the way to being gassed by Hussein.

No, thank George Bush for allowing the PEOPLE of Iraq to be free from a killer dictator.

And the promise is not kept until every single military person is out of Iraq. So far, he has lied to us.

For those who want to give Obama credit for Iraq being a success you show your ignorance when you do this, afterall Obama voted to take away needed funds for the troops 2 times.

THANKS to GW BUSH for making Iraq a free country!
A leftover Bush lover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies