Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:15 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times

Advertisements

Typical of the right, inability to read and understand English.

See the following from the post above that referenced the bill;

Quote:
to aid the development of achieved performance measurement protocols
I realize that some of these words have more than 2 syllables and it may take you a few minutes to look them up. Or call your Mommy, if she finished grade 9 she can tell you what they mean.

This is right up there with all the scarey stuff that the right swore was in the stimulus bill, NONE OF WHICH WAS, like the mouse habitat in SF Bay Area and the high speed rail from Disneyland to Las Vegas.

Calm down kiddies. OTOH if your stupid enough to buy a house without having an energy audit you deserve to pay through the nose for your utilities. Just don't blame others for it, remember you're supposed to be the party of personal responsibilty.

golfgod,

still paying less than $60/month for water and electricity COMBINED, because he is smart enough to have an energy efficient 2900 square foot house and is nice and comfy inside right now while it is 90 outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 06:24 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Typical of the right, inability to read and understand English.

See the following from the post above that referenced the bill;

I realize that some of these words have more than 2 syllables and it may take you a few minutes to look them up. Or call your Mommy, if she finished grade 9 she can tell you what they mean.

This is right up there with all the scarey stuff that the right swore was in the stimulus bill, NONE OF WHICH WAS, like the mouse habitat in SF Bay Area and the high speed rail from Disneyland to Las Vegas.

Calm down kiddies. OTOH if your stupid enough to buy a house without having an energy audit you deserve to pay through the nose for your utilities. Just don't blame others for it, remember you're supposed to be the party of personal responsibilty.

golfgod,

still paying less than $60/month for water and electricity COMBINED, because he is smart enough to have an energy efficient 2900 square foot house and is nice and comfy inside right now while it is 90 outside.
Seriously, could you explain that sentence as I can't figure it out as it stands by itself. Its going to aide (future tense)the development of achieved (past tense) performance measurement protocols.

How can it help improve the development of something that was already achieved?

Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Is the following provision really in the 'cap and trade bill??????????

"The 300 page amendment states something to the effect that if you are selling your house that someone from the government would have to come to your home to inspect it to make sure it is energy efficient and if your windows, appliances, etc. are not up to whatever code is written should this pass the Senate, then you the seller will have to bring your house up to code. This would not be an item that is negotiable in the contract -like you can't take less for the house; you have to bring it up to code."

Can this be?

Do you have a citation for this? Hard to believe that "someone from the government" would come into your home and inspect every single home that is being sold. Very hard to believe.

Maybe it will be the same person who will come and search for guns.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Building codes can cover energy efficiency. Example: California's Title 24

California's Energy Efficiency Standards for Residential and Nonresidential Building

Anyway, my guess is that homes built within the last 20 years or so (which were built to follow the most stringent energy efficiency requirements) will likely pass whatever energy audit(s) the government has in mind. Homes built before that, like my Mom's, will fail. This will most certainly hurt those least likely to afford it as bringing homes up to code can be very expensive. And if the house is too old, it may prove to be not worth the effort. Which brings me to my next question - is there a provision for homes which were compliant at the time of construction but no longer comply? If not, that's millions of households that will not comply. This will significantly affect home sales.
your right I have to deal with both building codes and energy codes daily. (I design custom homes) They are known as the IECC codes.

A good example of what will happen to housing can be seen in Boulder Colorado which has the strictest energy codes in the nation. Prior to them instituting the HERS and GREEN points rating systems, homes were being built left and right. After, they instituted it, there has been 3 homes, yes 3 homes built that meet the codes set for homes over 4500, and only a few more for homes under 4500 sqft. Remodels get ridiculous, we had a client that was wanting to do a kitchen gut and remodel, but decided not to after her initial bid of 25,000 soared to 105,000 because she would be disturbing the drywall on the interior, thus code was going to make her bring the ENTIRE home built in the late 60's to the new energy codes.

It is utterly ridiculous.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Do you have a citation for this? Hard to believe that "someone from the government" would come into your home and inspect every single home that is being sold. Very hard to believe.

see post 14, he gives the exact wording along with links to the bill.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
see post 14, he gives the exact wording along with links to the bill.
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. So the OP is full of it then.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:39 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Is the following provision really in the 'cap and trade bill??????????

"The 300 page amendment states something to the effect that if you are selling your house that someone from the government would have to come to your home to inspect it to make sure it is energy efficient and if your windows, appliances, etc. are not up to whatever code is written should this pass the Senate, then you the seller will have to bring your house up to code. This would not be an item that is negotiable in the contract -like you can't take less for the house; you have to bring it up to code."

Can this be?
There is so much special interest crap tucked in and it is a poorly written bill to top.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. So the OP is full of it then.
I think you need to re read it.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
These provisions are outrageous. I can only imagine that the majority of Americans cannot keep up with the volume of regulatory changes currently taking place as well as how it will affect their lives. The more complicated the changes the less likely it will even be discussed on evening news or in the government section of the local newspaper.

It could be a brilliant strategy. It is hard for protesters to organize a protest when there are so many different areas being affected that a potential protester might not know which protest they should join.

As far as this area of cap and trade goes I can't possibly see how this is going to improve the housing crisis and its grip on our economic recovery.

The goals for improving energy efficiency would be far better served by offering better incentives as opposed to punitive regulatory measures.

There are a number of problems with the current Energy Star program, one being that a larger home receives more favorable calculations than a smaller one containing more energy-efficient features due to lower per sq foot advantages of heating and cooling systems. Some of these flaws were detailed in a recent WSJ article.

Energy Star Fades as Efficiency Rating - WSJ.com

Old 07-02-2009, 06:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

The government will give money to the states to create new "inspection" positions.

Remember Obama said this bill will create new jobs ?
Besides inspectors there is now certification and oversight boards, etc.
I believe there will also be new forms to fill out regarding this.

It looks to me like there will be another person involved in the RE process.
You have your appraiser and inspector and soon you will have your energy inspector.

I would like to understand better how they measure this energy efficiency ? I mean, a home shaded by trees is more energy efficient than a home with no trees and the sun beating on it.
What about passive efficiency ? How do they measure that and rate that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies