Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
So, are you saying that you don't care to contribute to the support of the country which makes it possible for you to be in business?
Companies make it possible to support the country, not the country supporting peoples "ability" to be in business. Pretending that the country makes it possible for me to be self employed is a rediculous notion..
Quote:
Are you saying you don't care for the welfare of anyone but yourself?
Um, family comes first, then people I CHOOSE to give to, and yes, I've given away lots of stuff, including $200K worth of books to a local library, and even cars. By my CHOICE..
Quote:
Are you saying you would hire a person at minimum wage and keep them there even if they were productive as long as they didn't complain?
Um, that is the way the employment cycle works, I chooes to pay $x, you choose to work for $x, until one of us deems your talent worth more than $x and you either get promoted, or you leave to find another company willing to pay more.
Quote:
Are you saying that economic slavery would not be the result of eliminating the minimum wage
If your able to earn more than minimum wage, and you dont, your a sucker, if removal of minimum wage means that you'll then lower your standards to earn less, thats your fault, not mine. Tell me how your willingness to work for $x-y is my responsibility?
Quote:
and that is would not be just as compelling a slavery as that practiced here before 1863, where workers had no education and no money, hence no possible way to begin to climb the economic ladder?

I missed your point somewhere along the line.
Um, workers are educated and have money, and the ability to leave, start their own companies to compete, even move across the country (at the taxpayers dime at that) or even move to other parts of the world to earn more, stop pretending its 1863, your being foolish..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 11:13 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You can stay...all is forgiven
Thanks! It's Sherburne and Wright that are the problems

Old 07-03-2009, 11:56 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I live in Bachmann's district. We have a heavily German-Catholic, anti-abortion population. Abortion is the reason this woman wins.

She may have cooked her goose with all of the media whoring that she's been doing.

Could you guys find a sane anti-abortion candidate to run against her? Seriously. I have friends from Minnesota...heck, Minnesota is our neighbor ... and except for hating their sports teams with a "purple" passion, I find people from Minnesota to be intelligent, rational, good human beings. So I'm at a loss to understand some of the people they elect. It just doesn't make sense because their representatives just do not seem anything like those they represent. Of course they probably said the same when we elected McCarthy.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:24 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
So a group *known* to use questionable recruiting/training practices
link, please?!

Quote:
should be allowed to recruit part time workers for the 2010 census because even if they do something unethical they'll be caught?
? Your question doesnt make sense, but please ask yourself the questions I posed to you in my earlier post.

Quote:
With unemployment being so low these days, I'm sure that's real necessary - LOL.
? :mystified:

Old 07-03-2009, 12:34 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm not protecting anyone, I'm stating facts
you're defending Bachmann's insane position.

Quote:
No, what you proclaim to be "protecting' people, is not protecting, its smothering them with blankets until they suffocate, only you think your doing them a favor..
"If they're going to die, then they'd better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote:
Actually that does bother me, but your solution is to increase minimum wage, thereby meaning people will work less hours, and need more jobs, sorry, not a solution..
Oh, dont lie. Cite where I said I want to increase the minimum wage.

Quote:
um, no one is forced to work eight hours a day, does your bs ever stop?
Peole died to get an eight hour day, I cant believe you're so (...blind?) that that is news to you.

Quote:
Showing your lack of economics again. If wages are lowered, it does in fact lower the costs to get products to market, thereby decreasing prices...
"wages are lowered," another pussyfooting lie, you actually mean "minimum wage removed" along with Frau B. You're fantasizing a sudden federal removal of the minimum wage.

Quote:
Its not exploitation to hire people to do a job for which they are qualified to do at wages they agree to work for. It is exploitation though to increase the costs of doing business to the point that companies are forced to lay individuals off, thereby decrease employment. You have it backwards, no surprise there..
See Dickens quote above.

Quote:
And there are now millions more around the country who can not get a job AT minimum wage because their skills arent worth even that basic salary. Your argument about "my tax level" is not even close to being correct, Changes to the tax laws do not affect individuals who reinvest 100% of their "profits" to delay taxes for 10+ years.
Then what is your beef with poor working people? Why cant you just let them live their lives, if their struggles dont affect you? You seem to take it awfully personally.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:58 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Could you guys find a sane anti-abortion candidate to run against her? Seriously.""""

Say! you're on to something there...get a good Democrat to run against her...this candidate can do what Republicans do...say they're against abortion and then never do anything about it...that gets the votes !

"""""I have friends from Minnesota...heck, Minnesota is our neighbor ... and except for hating their sports teams with a "purple" passion, I find people from Minnesota to be intelligent, rational, good human beings. So I'm at a loss to understand some of the people they elect.

It just doesn't make sense because their representatives just do not seem anything like those they represent. Of course they probably said the same when we elected McCarthy.
I can't understand it either....can't find a soul who likes her or voted for her (unless they're too embarassed to say )

Old 07-03-2009, 12:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
you're defending Bachmann's insane position.
I'm simply educating the stupid who want to ignore that lower wages = more employed.
Quote:
Peole died to get an eight hour day, I cant believe you're so (...blind?) that that is news to you.
What does that have to do with the conversation? We're talking about the minimum wage, and everytime you increase it, people work less hours, its a mathmatical equation for companies.
Quote:
"wages are lowered," another pussyfooting lie, you actually mean "minimum wage removed" along with Frau B. You're fantasizing a sudden federal removal of the minimum wage.
They are one of the same, but pretend you made a fact
Quote:
Then what is your beef with poor working people?
Um, the beef isnt with "working poor people" its with those not working, or forced to work multiple jobs because companies wont hire them for 40 hour work weeks because of wages. You can consider it a beef with "the poor", I consider it a beef with the mathmatical equation that converts higher wages for those not worth their wages to more unemployed and less hours.
Quote:
Why cant you just let them live their lives, if their struggles dont affect you?
On the contrary, I want them to live their lives, preferably with ONE job, with ONE company, not needing to take on 3-4 part time jobs like they currently have.
Quote:
You seem to take it awfully personally.
Not at all taking it personally, I'm stating a mathmatical fact, your the one who seems to not understand that lower wages would = more employment. Its an OBVIOUS outcome because individuals would hire more people to do more. Heck, get me a wage low enough I'd hire a maid, a cook, a landscaper, even a driver, whalaa, unemployment gone..

Old 07-03-2009, 01:01 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
She is a bona fide nut job. What I find troubling and yet terribly amusing is that there are people that actually voted for her.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:05 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
I'm simply educating the stupid who want to ignore that lower wages = more employed.

What does that have to do with the conversation? We're talking about the minimum wage, and everytime you increase it, people work less hours, its a mathmatical equation for companies.

They are one of the same, but pretend you made a fact

Um, the beef isnt with "working poor people" its with those not working, or forced to work multiple jobs because companies wont hire them for 40 hour work weeks because of wages. You can consider it a beef with "the poor", I consider it a beef with the mathmatical equation that converts higher wages for those not worth their wages to more unemployed and less hours.

On the contrary, I want them to live their lives, preferably with ONE job, with ONE company, not needing to take on 3-4 part time jobs like they currently have.

Not at all taking it personally, I'm stating a mathmatical fact, your the one who seems to not understand that lower wages would = more employment. Its an OBVIOUS outcome because individuals would hire more people to do more. Heck, get me a wage low enough I'd hire a maid, a cook, a landscaper, even a driver, whalaa, unemployment gone..
FACT: the lower a person's wages are the more jobs they need to survive.

FACT: companies would NOT hire more people , they would make their present employees do more....all the savings would go right into executive's compensation.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:06 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,317,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
She is a bona fide nut job. What I find troubling and yet terribly amusing is that there are people that actually voted for her.
Stay on topic, this isn't a thread about Nancy Pelosi.

Last edited by allydriver; 07-03-2009 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies