Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times

Advertisements

At least this one ended before any others were killed. great a 16 year old with a gun.

"N.C. Teenager Kills Himself After Threatening Fellow High School Students at Gunpoint"
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. — A teenager shot and killed himself Wednesday shortly after pointing a handgun at two other students in a high school parking lot, police said.

Schools in Huntersville were locked down after the 16-year-old, whose name wasn't released, made threatening gestures in a parking lot at North Mecklenburg High School, police said.

The student, who attended the school, turned the gun on himself when police confronted him at a gas station, said Capt. Michael Kee of the Huntersville Police Department. He later died, said Tahira Stalbert, a spokeswoman for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.

Police alerted four schools after the student left the high school's campus, Kee said.

"We put every school in the area on immediate lockdown in light of everything that's gone on in the world lately," Kee said, referring to the fatal shootings of 33 people at Virginia Tech. "We erred on the side of caution."

The student, who was shot in the head, was taken to Carolinas Medical Center, Kee said.

School officials planned to have counselors available to North Mecklenburg students Thursday, Stalbert said. The school also will have a larger security presence, she said.

Families in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school district were to receive automated phone messages about the situation, Stalbert said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
We simply should be allowed to make our own choices for self-defense, without some of us having to worry about others meddling in that choice.
Oh...you're going to be meddled with and the meddling is going to increase.

If want to own a gun, you should have to go through background checks, recommendations, and a licensing program. Similar to someone who wants to handle explosives. Reasonable regulations for such a dangerous product.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
At least this one ended before any others were killed. great a 16 year old with a gun.

"N.C. Teenager Kills Himself After Threatening Fellow High School Students at Gunpoint"
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. — A teenager shot and killed himself Wednesday shortly after pointing a handgun at two other students in a high school parking lot, police said.

Schools in Huntersville were locked down after the 16-year-old, whose name wasn't released, made threatening gestures in a parking lot at North Mecklenburg High School, police said.

The student, who attended the school, turned the gun on himself when police confronted him at a gas station, said Capt. Michael Kee of the Huntersville Police Department. He later died, said Tahira Stalbert, a spokeswoman for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.

Police alerted four schools after the student left the high school's campus, Kee said.

"We put every school in the area on immediate lockdown in light of everything that's gone on in the world lately," Kee said, referring to the fatal shootings of 33 people at Virginia Tech. "We erred on the side of caution."

The student, who was shot in the head, was taken to Carolinas Medical Center, Kee said.

School officials planned to have counselors available to North Mecklenburg students Thursday, Stalbert said. The school also will have a larger security presence, she said.

Families in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school district were to receive automated phone messages about the situation, Stalbert said.
I will repeat for the 1,000 time....IT IS TOO EASY TO GET A GUN IN THIS COUNTRY!!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I will repeat for the 1,000 time....IT IS TOO EASY TO GET A GUN IN THIS COUNTRY!!!!
I have no idea where he got it, I am sure they will tell us at some point. Kid needed help.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I have no idea where he got it, I am sure they will tell us at some point. Kid needed help.
Of course he needed help. He didn't need a gun.

The simple fact is that these incidents happen here at a MUCH higher incidence than any other country in the world. There are mentally ill people everywhere, but here in the US it is simply much easier for them to get their hands on a gun BECAUSE it is to easy to buy one.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 PM

366 posts, read 387,002 times
Quote:
If want to own a gun, you should have to go through background checks, recommendations, and a licensing program. Similar to someone who wants to handle explosives. Reasonable regulations for such a dangerous product.
The kids who work as dishwashers, etc., in Denali have to have more of a background check than the kid who shot up Virginia Tech did.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:21 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
That is an unreasonable and very reactionary way to look at government regulation. That is why you are losing this argument.

The best thing for people with your point of view is that if you actually conceded some points and looked reasonable you could influence regulations and make them more "friendly" to your point of view. But the gun lobby is too ideological and too reactionary to take such a rational approach. Stupid strategy.
Irwin,

it is not a unreasonable and very reactionary way to look at government regulation.Time and time again government regulation has gone above and beyond what it was set out to do,usually being very hard to change it after its enacted.After a tragic occurance laws are immediately placed which is the wrong time to do so because its based on emotion not reason.For instance after 9-11 some of the homeland security acts should be scrutinized.This in fact is being "reactionary",you are being reactionary.After something bad happens people tend to scream "there must be change!","do something"...without thinking it thru and oh so willing to trade some freedom away for "security".

yes I am idealogical,and I know bans,regulations and such are "reactionary" and I am not willing to trade freedom for a false sense of security.

regarding licenses,there are a segment of citizens who would want to be rid of private ownership,licenses could be used to do so if abused,too poor to afford a license,well then you dont have a right to self defense is one example.

Imagine what damage someone driving a Humvee H2 on a crowded beach could do,yet the blame would be on the driver not that evil SUV.Of course who needs a Humvee H2 anyway?

We gun enthusiast,people who believe in the right to own a weapon without being chastized are not being paranoid when we think that people are out to ban use because there is a movement out to ban use,they cant do it out right but they try to do it piece by piece.

and I'll say it again,today too many blame everyone else when life isnt fair,instead of taking the hard knocks they blame society and seek revenge.Kids that are picked on,feel left out can not deal and become stronger from it they go crazy.This latest guy on tape said "you made me do it".Somehow society is creating kids who cant deal with life,and have no respect for life anymore.Want to change things for real and stop this violence?,then this is what needs to be addressed.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:38 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
martial arts is certainly a respectable thing to learn,I've had thoughts myself about taking some classes.

But there will always be one belt higher than a black belt,a gun belt.

despite the martial arts movies where they dodge a incoming bullet,doing incredible movements in real life you cant dodge a bullet....

self defense in general should be a open choice for a individual.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
I was attacked from behind he had a knife, thank god for my self defense training. My dad made me go through it when I was younger, he was sort of a nut about protecting his only daughter!!
Since martial arts can be a deadly force, maybe those wanting to take a class should have a background check done on them. Maybe the use of martial arts should be disallowed on college campuses as well.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Since martial arts can be a deadly force, maybe those wanting to take a class should have a background check done on them. Maybe the use of martial arts should be disallowed on college campuses as well.
I didnt use my Karate, I used womans self defense classesthere are plenty not based on matrial arts. I took 6 of them on how to protect against attackers as well as disarm them in many different situations and I think woman should take the basics. My karate just makes me more fit and have more agility, I dont do martial arts for defense purposes, it just keeps me in shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies