Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 04:36 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I agree with them, we are not tough enough and we just make stupid excuses. I have guns and have no problem giving them up to save people. I willjust hunt with my dad using a cross bow!!!
You may be willing to give up your guns, but I definitely have a problem giving up mine! Just how, exactly, does giving up one's firearms, (or, the right to have them), save anyone? I recall the other biggest massacre in U.S. history was in Texas, where twenty some-odd folks were killed, in a cafe. The daughter of two of the victims, who was also there at the time, has said repeatedly that if the gun laws had not been so stringent, she could have had her own handgun in the cafe with her, (she had to leave it in her truck, which I might add, shows she was obeying the gun laws, that we already have in place), and could possibly have stopped the gunman, thereby perhaps saving a few lives, including those of her parents. At the very least she would have had a chance. There are incidents all across the country that the media usually doesn't make a big deal out of, (because it's not sensational enough), where someone has saved their life, and that of their family members or friends, with a gun.

A crossbow is a little difficult to keep by the bedside, never mind to use, should anyone ever break into my home, (not to mention that I don't have one. We have compound bows for hunting). We have guns because we want a way to protect ourselves in our home, (should we ever need to), because we hunt, because we enjoy target shooting, and simply because we enjoy collecting them. I'm not a raving maniac, (and most gun owners aren't), and my husband and I take our gun ownership very seriously, to the point that we lock up our firearms in a gunsafe, to keep them out of anyone else's hands.

Do you honestly think that giving up your guns will keep weapons out of some lunatic's hands? I don't mean to sound ugly, but this just doesn't make sense to me. My husband and I are exercising our 2nd Amendment rights, which has absolutely nothing to do with some nutcase shooting innocent people. And, as others have noted on this thread, other countries "giving up" their weapons does not keep the criminally insane from getting a gun, and shooting people, and even if they couldn't get one, man has been killing man for a long time, long before guns were invented. How many times does it have to be repeated that it is not the weapon that is responsible, it is the hand that wields it!

Last edited by CelticLady1; 04-18-2007 at 05:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 04:43 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
VT has a law that prevents carrying weapons on campus making it a prime target for any loon who wants to go on such a rampage. Do you think he would've done this had he thought that one of the teachers had a concealed weapon? I doubt it. The safest place in the world is at an NRA convention where the ration of weapons to individuals are the highest anywhere, other than maybe a Cripts or Bloods gang party.
I ask again, do any of you have a law that would prevent criminals from getting guns instead of just laws preventing law-abiding citizens from obtaining them?

Old 04-18-2007, 04:54 AM

606 posts, read 699,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Ok, a few things to keep in mind here.

1. Virginia Tech is a gun free zone, so obviously gun control laws did not work. Besides that it is and always has been illegal to murder someone whether a gun is used or not. The take home message here is that criminals don't obey laws.

2. Cho Seung-Hui is from China. Did he just quickly assimilate to the gun culture of the U.S.? Or is he just a homicidal/suicidal criminal?

3. Japan has some of the toughest gun control laws in the world and today a mayor was gunned down there. Again the take home message, criminals do not obey gun laws.

4. I should have put this first but, the constitution protects the right of citizens to keep and bear arms. I would be very, very careful about giving up any constitutional rights, you never known when you might need them.
Cho Seung-Hui is from South Korea and came to U.S in 1992 when he was about 7 years old.
if you know a little about asian language,you will know the name"Cho Seung-Hui"is a korean name.
he spent most of his life in suburban D.C instead of korea.Does any asian country have gun culture and frequent campus shooting? As far as I know,no one.

I hope you can do more research before saying anything.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I ask again, do any of you have a law that would prevent criminals from getting guns instead of just laws preventing law-abiding citizens from obtaining them?
I surely do not.
I just wish we did not have so many guns in our country, because our society is already plenty violent. But have them we do, legally and not.
When does a person mutate from law-abiding citizen into a killer?
The Beltway Snipers were not always what they became. And no weapon, concealed or not, can defend its owner against a sniper.
Risk is everywhere, and risk is subjective.
Some may think I disregard my child's safety by sending him off to college without a firearm. To me, arming students would be like Tombstone in 1881, but as I said, risk is subjective.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:12 AM

282 posts, read 1,264,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I saw it coming. They need to **** trying to push thier agendas.
Ditto!

I'm not giving up my guns. NONE of them! I have a 9mm handgun that I have a permit for. I also have a 12 guage and a .22.

We have gun laws. Criminals still have guns. Does anyone honestly believe that taking my guns away, that I obtained legally, is going to change that?? The bad guys are still going to get the guns, but that's just going to leave me unarmed and unable to protect myself and my family. Nope, not going to happen.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:04 AM

606 posts, read 699,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
Ditto!

I'm not giving up my guns. NONE of them! I have a 9mm handgun that I have a permit for. I also have a 12 guage and a .22.

We have gun laws. Criminals still have guns. Does anyone honestly believe that taking my guns away, that I obtained legally, is going to change that?? The bad guys are still going to get the guns, but that's just going to leave me unarmed and unable to protect myself and my family. Nope, not going to happen.
since you have guns,others have to purchase more to protect themsevles.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:20 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
Cho Seung-Hui is from South Korea and came to U.S in 1992 when he was about 7 years old.
if you know a little about asian language,you will know the name"Cho Seung-Hui"is a korean name.
he spent most of his life in suburban D.C instead of korea.Does any asian country have gun culture and frequent campus shooting? As far as I know,no one.

I hope you can do more research before saying anything.
I already admitted to that mistake in an earlier post. I hope you can read the whole thread before saying anything. The mistake was actually that I confused Seung-Hui with Gang Lu, a Chinese immigrant who murdered five people at the University of Iowa.

Also he spent most of his life in D.C.? Doesn't D.C. already have strict gun laws?

I think you are right that no Asian country has a "gun culture", but we in America have a unique history and the Bill of Rights is part of our culture. A lot of people are missing the point I think. The founding fathers intended that the people of America be armed, not to protect themselves from crime, even though that is a benefit as well, but because being armed is the only protection from government tyranny. It surprises me a little that in the current political climate when so many people feel that their civil rights are being eroded that they would willingly surrender the one right that can actually protect them from real tyranny. Then again maybe it doesn't surprise me, most of the people complaining it seems don't really care about civil rights but simply hate George Bush.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:27 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
since you have guns,others have to purchase more to protect themsevles.
Huhh? Protect themselves from who? Laurie_25ny? If she is a normal, rational, law-abiding citizen, she's not going to be going around shooting anyone at random. She simply wants the ability to be able to protect herself. If those "others" don't threaten her, or her loved ones, they won't need "to protect themselves", from her. I have no intention of starting anything with anyone, myself, and I would guess that Laurie_ny feels the same way. But, she and I, and everyone on this planet have a God-given right to protect ourselves.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:32 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Lightbulb Now, let's add some reality to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Do any of you pro gun control types have a plan that will keep guns out of the hands of criminals?
Yes. Start by closing the Mexican border where 99% of our illegal street guns are. Require that private sale buyers show they have a Concealed Weapons Permit befor ethe transaction takes place.

Let's think about this for a second.

Let's say an employer/company/college creates a rule or regulation saying "no guns at work". Ok, fine so no law-abiding person will bring a gun to work. A violator would face a misdeameanor (max 1 year in jail, but most likely will get probation).

Now, take a crazy dude like the Virgina Tech guy, is going to commit first degree murder, which carries life or possibly the death penalty. Do you think he will care is the employer/company/college forbids guns at work??? Come on!! Of corse not! Reasonable people know that.... only if you live in la-la utopia land will you believe that by passing a rule that crazy people will respect it.

This is the dumbest thing ever! If law-abiding people are not allowed to have firearms for personal protection and crazy Virginia Tech guys will bring guns to kill people anyway, shuldn't one of the good guys be bale to stop a guy like the Virginia Tech dude?

Taking guns away form the good guys will not change anything. That is like taking protection away from the good guys and letting the bad guys have their way (that is EXACTLY what happened at Virginia Tech). Understand that all CWP people have to get checked for psychological/mental records and go through an extensive background investigation and training.That is why they should be allowed to have guns at work and school. Again, the crazy people will not respect any rules anyway, so why take away the guns from the good guys?? The Virginia Tech was breaking the law big time. Did that stop him?? NO!

Wise up. Let the good guys have a chance next time!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:38 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I surely do not.
I just wish we did not have so many guns in our country, because our society is already plenty violent. But have them we do, legally and not.
When does a person mutate from law-abiding citizen into a killer?
The Beltway Snipers were not always what they became. And no weapon, concealed or not, can defend its owner against a sniper.
Risk is everywhere, and risk is subjective.
Some may think I disregard my child's safety by sending him off to college without a firearm. To me, arming students would be like Tombstone in 1881, but as I said, risk is subjective.
This is where parental responsibility comes into account. Parents need to teach their children how to handle a gun and to be responsible citizens. If a student, or any other individual is not responsible they needn't be carrying a weapon, just like those who can't drive shouldn't be on the streets.

However, a concealed weapon on a trained teacher would've likely avoided this senseless result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies