Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:32 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Umm, I teach and submit to peer reviewed journals.

And I know that if your peer reviewed stuff is repeatedly shot down, your Dept head will want to meet with you.
That would explain the problems with the Peer review system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:18 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Umm, I teach and submit to peer reviewed journals.

And I know that if your peer reviewed stuff is repeatedly shot down, your Dept head will want to meet with you.

So if you are in academics, publish in the scientific literature, and read the literature, you already know that global warming is junk science.

You also already know that true science INVITES AND WELCOMES further investigation and questioning to verify the initial premise. The truth will be supported by the facts and further investigation. This is why the "religion" of global warming villifies anyone who objects to that premise. I have never, ever seen anything quite like it before and is direct contradiction to the methods of good science and the search for the truth. What other theory, ever in the history of the world, has been taken as "fact" with no evidence whatsoever and has used fear and intimidation to silence anyone who disagrees with this new religion. That is not science- that is a cult. The "leaders" in the global warming issue are academic embarrassments in thier fields who have violated thier scientific ethical code in exchange for the advancement of what they feel to be politically correct. These "academics" should be evaluated by thier departments, as academic fraud is grounds for dismissal.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:39 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
I'm sorry, there hasn't been a single peer reviewed scientific article disputing man made global warming in over 20 years (22 I think?). I just don't buy that the mainstream scientific community is engaged in mass fraud on such a scale or is that incompetent.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:43 AM

769 posts, read 887,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
Just like man has caused the extinctions of thousands of animal and plant species.Just like man has polluted all the rivers in the United States.Just like man has chopped down 95% of the virgin forest in the United States from when we(Europeans) arrived here 500 years ago.Shall I go on?

I would be you would have a hard time naming 50 species directly extincted because of man, but regardless, it is a fact the 99% of all the species that have ever lived on this planet are now extinct. I see an inevitable trend, and I think we should concentrate on us a little and try to be the odds rather than help some other species beat the odds by willingly handing ourselves a disadvantage.

To those that are about to reply saying we are going to extinct ourselves by causing global warming....please take a step back. More carbon = more vegetation = more food. Warmer climate = more vegetation = more food. I've heard the list of things that are bad, so please don't re-list them. But it is undeniable that an ice age would do far more damage to our species than about anything else.

SNOWBALL EARTH

Old 07-16-2009, 08:30 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
I'm sorry, there hasn't been a single peer reviewed scientific article disputing man made global warming in over 20 years (22 I think?). I just don't buy that the mainstream scientific community is engaged in mass fraud on such a scale or is that incompetent.
Because the claim of AGW is not simply a study on one area where this is concluded, rather it is a culmination of many studies to which attempt to lay claim to such a conclusion and that is where you find the peer reviewed research that contests this.

For instance, Hansens work on surface temperature reconstructions has had peer reviewed research that has not only contested his work, but showed it to be assumptive and full of errors.

The same is with Mann's work as well with not only his work, but even with the field of dendrochronology and its ability to properly find relation to climate.

There are numerous contests to the claims of AGW but it is done at the hypothesis level because this is really where AGW still is. There is no "theory" in this topic, no proven and tested results. There are simply numerous correlations being made to suggest it and many of those methods used to obtain those correlations are in question.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Plants and animals were going extinct way before man ever showed up.

Look, we should be responsible and less wasteful...but I don't understand why people are so quick to jump on the global warming bandwagon when much better defined and 'proven' science has been shown to be bunk with better testing and more studies.

Why lose your skepticism and thirst for questioning now?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 AM

769 posts, read 887,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
but I don't understand why people are so quick to jump on the global warming bandwagon

Mankind's ever enduring quest to prove his significance in a realm amongst gods. We have quite a bit of bravdo and swagger about our dominance on this planet considering nature could swat us out of existence without warning or difficulty.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
It's not worth it, I did this all afternoon with the same results.
It's not worth it....EXACTLY.

That is why I rarely spend time posting anything close to substantial argument....in one ear, out the other.....

Hence, I come on and post articles and such and then off I go! And let you guys do the .

I guess that's wicked of me.....LOL.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North
That's just BS.

Scientific consensus is that it is real and cause by H. Sapiens.

EverestClimb:
No, it is not consensus, many believe it is natural as well. No one has proved it either way but there is more evidence that it is natural

Ditto, it's NOT consensus, it's UNPROVEN.
What is so difficult to comprehend in that word?
www.dictionary.com
Gee, why don't you global warming freaks just get out your checkbooks, cuz you owe Al Gore your monthly payment in a couple days....

Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Here is the problem-

Elvis is living on Mars and has opened a hot dog stand. It is most certainly true, as no one has shown that it is not.

That logic is the exact OPPOSITE of science. One must prove the theory and dispel the null hypothesis. There is ALOT of scientific evidence from the fossil record that shows that temperature changes are cyclical and that higher CO2 levels and temperatures occurred in the past before man. This is the problem with junk science and allows people to reference "the literature", which may be totally wrong. Cults hate the truth, as it threatens thier core beliefs. Science loves inquiry, as it arrives at the truth. If you are a part of the global warming cult- that is fine. But do not confuse it with science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies