Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
But is a communist form of economy a bad thing?

We don't.. or rather can't know. There has never been a real example of a communism. Communism as we've seen through history and present has always been shown as a form of government.

So why can't a Democratic Republic government run on a Communist economy?
For a real communism to exist, you would need to replace human brains with robotic CPUs that obey everything the government tells you... I wish communists would get over themselves, it can NEVER exist for a reason, the same reason utopia doesn't exist... humans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:14 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,741 times
Health Care Reform is coming and it is desperately needed!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
My best friend was born with a congential heart defect and had a pacemaker at 21. Never had a problem getting or paying for insurance, never made over 40K a year and didnt know anybody special. But you're telling me someone with asthma has trouble getting insurance?
My guess is your friend enrolled in her *employers* health insurance plan during open enrollment when they cannot deny you based on pre-existing conditions. However, if at anytime he/she tried to *self insure* he/she would have found that 4 out of 5 times she would be non insurable and the other 1 company that would be willing to would charge him/her insane amounts of money to do so. My oldest daughter has been a diabetic since she was two, and thankfully I have had great insurance almost the entire time, and when I didn't, Cobra was going to cost me 1200 a month, so we went without for 6 months. (as I had been laid off and could not afford it as a single Mom). Also, my daughter cannot get life insurance for less than 300 a month...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
Health Care Reform is coming and it is desperately needed!
When Reform comes let me know... all I see is a public option...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
When Reform comes let me know... all I see is a public option...
The Health Care legislation will reduce costs, increase efficiencies, hopefully add a public option which will really keep private insurance companies honest, and the use of comparative effectiveness and health i.t. That is what reform will look like and what we need.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
The Health Care legislation will reduce costs, increase efficiencies, hopefully add a public option which will really keep private insurance companies honest, and the use of comparative effectiveness and health i.t. That is what reform will look like and what we need.
You HOPE it does all of this. THere is no proof that it will do this. A public option would probably save costs for those with lesser incomes. Do you have any links to what the public option costs would be for the middle class?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
affordable health care is a dream. as long as the trial lawers can sue for millions on a doc that is just doing the best to save a a persons life and win its over. no chance at afforable health care the lawers win.best you can do is hope for a malpractice suit or pay for it

Old 07-07-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I see.. and it reduces costs how? Increase efficiency, how? Don't tell me you learned all this from what the TV said...

You really, really think private insurance companies are going to be honest?

Health I.T. is hype... I work in the medical industry to know that I.T. won't be saving anywhere near the amount of money Obama is talking about... but it is a nice subsidy for hospitals to get taxpayer money to pay for something they would have to pay in the future anyways... I hope you didn't buy the hype because the television set told you so... Comparative effectiveness, I actually had a good laugh about this... we know enough that each person is very, very different... can you make some "generalizations"? Sure, but for the most part... no treatment is perfect because no two people are the same... so we will spend millions at first, then billions, and then finally trillions to only realize that a lot of this research was not as productive as they "thought" it would of been... its funny... I think that Obama is just following hype because it sounded "good"... he really should have a team of real professionals doing this stuff instead of talking a friend with an agenda and a couple of "ideas"...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I see.. and it reduces costs how? Increase efficiency, how? Don't tell me you learned all this from what the TV said...

You really, really think private insurance companies are going to be honest?

Health I.T. is hype... I work in the medical industry to know that I.T. won't be saving anywhere near the amount of money Obama is talking about... but it is a nice subsidy for hospitals to get taxpayer money to pay for something they would have to pay in the future anyways... I hope you didn't buy the hype because the television set told you so... Comparative effectiveness, I actually had a good laugh about this... we know enough that each person is very, very different... can you make some "generalizations"? Sure, but for the most part... no treatment is perfect because no two people are the same... so we will spend millions at first, then billions, and then finally trillions to only realize that a lot of this research was not as productive as they "thought" it would of been... its funny... I think that Obama is just following hype because it sounded "good"... he really should have a team of real professionals doing this stuff instead of talking a friend with an agenda and a couple of "ideas"...
Increase efficiency and comparative effectiveness is using data from high outcome and low cost areas of the US and using those treatment plans in high cost low outcome areas, thus saving upwards of 30% on certain health care costs. Eliminating Medicare Advantage plans which saves approx 150 billion dolllars over ten years. Obama has already arranged for billions in savings from prescription drug companies, over 100 billion in savings from major hospital networks, and reducing the private insurance companies costs by 1.5%. Having the public option will put the much needed pressure on the private insurance companies to keep their rates low or otherwise everyone will flock to the public plan and they will lose customers. Right now they have zero incentive to keep costs down.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Increase efficiency and comparative effectiveness is using data from high outcome and low cost areas of the US and using those treatment plans in high cost low outcome areas, thus saving upwards of 30% on certain health care costs. Eliminating Medicare Advantage plans which saves approx 150 billion dolllars over ten years. Obama has already arranged for billions in savings from prescription drug companies, over 100 billion in savings from major hospital networks, and reducing the private insurance companies costs by 1.5%. Having the public option will put the much needed pressure on the private insurance companies to keep their rates low or otherwise everyone will flock to the public plan and they will lose customers. Right now they have zero incentive to keep costs down.
Mediacare Advantage plans save the consumer from purchasing a Medicare supplemental policy to cover the 20% Medicare doesn't cover. Eliminating it would force more out of pocket expenses for seniors. Its just a cost SHIFT not a reduction in cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies