Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 05:42 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times

Advertisements

Frankly I can't understand why anyone would allow Nancy Pelosi to speak for them. In my opinion, her home state of California is a perfect example of failed government policies and convoluted tax schemes. Why would anyone want this flawed model to be used to structure federal policies?

Is driving a government into bankruptcy a good thing or is my concern for fiscally-responsible decision making out of fashion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 05:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Ummmmm, she's been elected to represent the state.
The governator is Arnold, a republican.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:10 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Frankly I can't understand why anyone would allow Nancy Pelosi to speak for them. In my opinion, her home state of California is a perfect example of failed government policies and convoluted tax schemes. Why would anyone want this flawed model to be used to structure federal policies?

Is driving a government into bankruptcy a good thing or is my concern for fiscally-responsible decision making out of fashion?

Is she pushing (and supporting) legislation that helps her state and most importantly her district? (You know, the people who elected her to represent them)

If she is, then she is doing her job.

Any issues of the state government is the state governments issue.

You are over rating fiscal responsibility. Most of the people in the country are not fiscally responsible. Why would the average american have over $8000 in credit card debt. (Most making the minimum paymnets, so a $1,000 charge on an average credit card will take almost 22 years to pay), Why should the government be any different.

Last edited by plannine; 07-11-2009 at 06:53 AM..

Old 07-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ummmmm, she's been elected to represent the state.
The governator is Arnold, a republican.

But Pelosi has been the one of the targets of choice. What ever she does or doesn't do, is wrong, as far as some are concerned. Some radio talk show host get wet all over every time her name comes up.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:06 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,362 times
Quote:

She is a pig who hates America.........She should be arrested...

Old 07-11-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
And based on your expert opinion, why should she be arrested?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Spoken like a true Republican!

Old 07-11-2009, 06:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Your gripe doesn't make sense. Pelosi doesn't represent the State Of California, nor did the voters of the state elect her to anything. She represents the 8th District Of California in the U.S. House of Representatives, and she has nothing to do with implementing state laws or policies.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:45 PM

785 posts, read 1,049,809 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The main reason for the budget deficit in California is the 2/3rds law, which was part of prop 13. A 2/3rds vote is required in order to pass a tax increase through the Senate and State Assembly, which means that a small number of Republicans are able to stop just about any bill from getting through. This makes it almost impossible for the state to raise revenue. The 2/3rds law is the reason why ridiculous loopholes, such as the yacht-plane tax loophole, haven't been removed. Prop 13 has also created a huge problems because it minimizes property taxes of people who bought their houses before 1978. However, if you bought your house after 1978, your tax rates aren't protected under prop 13. Because of this, there are people that pay like 10 times more property taxes than their next door neighbor only because they bought their house after 1978.

As for Pelosi, I lived in her district and I'm not a huge fan of her because she's too centrist. There are many people in her district that feel the same as I do. Although she has the reputation as a flaming liberal, she isn't. I could name quite a few lawmakers that are to the left of Pelosi. She just got done threatening the progressive caucus to get them to vote in favor of $106 billion in war funding. She has repeatedly voted to fund the war, even after she referred to it as a "grotesque mistake." She has voted in favor of most free trade agreements, including NAFTA, as well as the WTO. She voted for the TARP bailout twice and she isn't for single-payer health care either.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:48 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,985 times
Is Nancy Pelosi's home state of California a model example of her policies in action?

Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies