Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should states make people wear a motorcycle helmet.
Yes 98 55.37%
No 79 44.63%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,667 times

Advertisements

I own a motorcycle, I ride all the darn time. I have been riding motorcycles since I was a kid. A helmet won't save every accident victim. All of this talk about costs to hospitals and carrying extra binders if no helmet is worn. If we are going to regulate what I need to do on my bike, how about all the soccer moms hanging up the phone, all the elderly having to pass regular eye exams and driving tests to retain a license. I say soccer moms need to carry a million dollar binder in their policy if they own a cell phone.... yea it sounds silly right ? personal choice is a freedom I have living in the USA, what gives the government the right to take it from me? If a biker dies because he/she was stupid enough to not wear a helmet so be it. Are we going to ban jumping from planes next? Let big brother worry about his house, I'll tend to my own.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:45 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I own a motorcycle, I ride all the darn time. I have been riding motorcycles since I was a kid. A helmet won't save every accident victim. All of this talk about costs to hospitals and carrying extra binders if no helmet is worn. If we are going to regulate what I need to do on my bike, how about all the soccer moms hanging up the phone, all the elderly having to pass regular eye exams and driving tests to retain a license. I say soccer moms need to carry a million dollar binder in their policy if they own a cell phone.... yea it sounds silly right ? personal choice is a freedom I have living in the USA, what gives the government the right to take it from me? If a biker dies because he/she was stupid enough to not wear a helmet so be it. Are we going to ban jumping from planes next? Let big brother worry about his house, I'll tend to my own.
We should make it mandatory for politicans to go helmetless.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:13 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
No, because if I crash and burn and kill myself, its my right. Lets stop trying to protect everyone.. we need to thin-out the gene pool some anyways.. let stupid people die.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:47 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
No, because if I crash and burn and kill myself, its my right. Lets stop trying to protect everyone.. we need to thin-out the gene pool some anyways.. let stupid people die.
Then where would we get the liberals and conservatives?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 AM

488 posts, read 1,176,875 times
At this point I would have to vote NO on requiring motorcycle riders to wear helmets and requiring auto drivers to wear seatbelts but, since they are such a burden on the hospitals, I might change my mind, the day every ILLEGAL alien is required to obtain medical insurance the second they ILLEGALLY step foot into this country.

This arguement is just as good as many I have read on this thread.

Afterall, more hospitals have closed down for having to treat ILLEGAL aliens for free than have been closed down for having to treat helmetless motorcycle riders.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:17 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Interesting observation..........so why wait??????? Why risk someone else going with you....................? Oh, you didn't mean necessarily you.that was just rhetorical in nature, right?

Seriously folk, I don't care if you do or don't wear a helmet or wear a seat belt or swim with sharks. You only have one life to waste.

I spent 25 years in a squad car and I worked a lot of motor cycle crashes. Not every one was fatal and thats a fact but everyone that was had head injuries and no helmet.

Now I qualify that with I also worked a lot of car crashes and not all were fatal but the ones that were didn't have helmets either........
Frankly, I came to the conclusion that when your number is up its up and it doesn't matter what precautions you take.

Couple of years ago a a fellow officer worked a fiery one car fatality.
The driver was seat belted in and driving a newer car had air bags, still died when he rammed that tree head on at 80mph.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:27 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
At this point I would have to vote NO on requiring motorcycle riders to wear helmets and requiring auto drivers to wear seatbelts but, since they are such a burden on the hospitals, I might change my mind, the day every ILLEGAL alien is required to obtain medical insurance the second they ILLEGALLY step foot into this country.

This arguement is just as good as many I have read on this thread.

Afterall, more hospitals have closed down for having to treat ILLEGAL aliens for free than have been closed down for having to treat helmetless motorcycle riders.
I don't mean to be rude, but WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS TOPIC HAVE TO DO WITH ILLEGAL ALIENS?!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:59 AM

488 posts, read 1,176,875 times
You're not rude Frank. Like I said, my post makes as much sense as some others I've read. Even though my post was in jest, my point is that ILLEGAL aliens milk the medical industry way more than helmetless motorcycle riders do, as a few folks have suggested.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:09 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
You're not rude Frank. Like I said, my post makes as much sense as some others I've read. Even though my post was in jest, my point is that ILLEGAL aliens milk the medical industry way more than helmetless motorcycle riders do, as a few folks have suggested.
I would have got it if you had directly quoted someone who was using that lame excuse.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:44 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
besides the safety issue I find wearing a fullface helmet makes riding more enjoyable, i don't like getting hit in the face with a junebug at 65mph. My feelings on wearing my helmet is that I love to ride and if I'm in an accident then I hope to recover and ride anouther day, I don't want to sit in a chair and drool. I've had a concussion and it wasn't fun, it had many lasting affects that i get to deal with everyday. To me not wanting to protect your brain shows a lack of brain cells to begin with, every one mentions death caused by head injuries but there worst things than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies