Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

John Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 am.

While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA ) was perking,

he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG )

He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA ),
designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE)
and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA)

After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA)

he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO)

to see how much he could spend today.

After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN)

to the radio (MADE IN INDIA)

he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY)

filled it with gas (FROM SAUDI ARABIA)

and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN job.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (made in MALAYSIA ),

John decided to relax for a while.

He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL),

poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE)

and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA ),

and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in AMERICA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 09:40 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
John Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 am.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (made in MALAYSIA ),

Nothing new. This is what NAFTA and the obscene trade agreements have done. I go out of my way to find items made in the USA and it can be done with many things. I was recently trying to find a kitchen tool and realized that if I purchased a new one, it would most likely be made in China. With a little effort, I found a vintage one in excellent condition on ebay from the 1950's which was manufactured here. This would also insure that I was getting a better quality item than any new piece of garbage from China would have turned out to be. People will continue to shop at Walmart because stuff is cheap and by doing so, they are selling the U.S. up the river and keeping us in debt to China. If I have to purchase an item made elsewhere, I make sure that it is at least a fair trade item.

There are websites devoted to made in the USA stuff...
American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA

U.S. manufacturing jobs fading away fast

Jobs are increasingly being moved abroad as companies take advantage of lower labor costs and position themselves to sell products to a growing — and promising — market abroad. Economy.com, an economic consulting firm in West Chester, Pa., estimates 1.3 million manufacturing jobs have been moved abroad since the beginning of 1992 — the bulk coming in the last three years. Most of those jobs have gone to Mexico and East Asia.
USATODAY.com - U.S. manufacturing jobs fading away fast

Going out of your way a bit to buy items manufactured here is a way to show true patriotism.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
He'd have more money in his pocket (and better wine in his belly, dollar for dollar) if he switched to a Korean car and Spanish wine.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,110 times
Let us not forget about what is rarely, if ever, mentioned which is at least as equal a contributing factor to job losses here in the U.S.A. as the movement of jobs to overseas - TECHNOLOGY! Nowadays, for example, a computer controlled device/machine can do the job of several human beings, 24/7, 365 days a year if need be, with more speed and accuracy and doesn't need medical or dental benefits, doesn't get injured on the job, can't sue you, doesn't get a pension or retirement, can't quit, take bathroom breaks or get sick and tired, doesn't have to pick up the kids from school when they're sick or take a day off to celebrate it's wedding anniversary, etc. There only need be, say, a human being (technician) to program and maintain the device/machine so you now have several humans being replaced, forever, by technology. Many jobs once performed by trained human beings are now obsolete. Those people working in sweat shops overseas will end up being replaced by machinery as well once the finances of the companies/factories they work for reach the point where they can afford the technology. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, it is what it is. Just as corporate lobbyists vote with their money by paying "our" government officials to service them - I do my best to vote with my money by doing business with "mom and pop" shops or family owned businesses and purchase products made in the U.S.A. whenever and as often possible. We can send a clear message about what we really want instead of corporations deciding for us. Whether you're a right-winger who's buys made in U.S.A. for nationalistic reasons or a left-winger who does so for human rights, labor rights, the environment, peace, justice, etc. we can find some common ground here at least.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Hey, I bought a new tv two months ago made in Arizona. It broke yesterday.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times
I have some clothing that was made in China, and well made in China. My gripe isn't that China makes stuff, and sends it here. I am aggrivated that the US isn't making stuff, too. All for air trade, but we need our little companies back. My 1950's kitchen things are still going strong. I have begun to reject stuff made in China, and I'm buying American. I almost bought some new Mary Jane shoes from China, but the soles smelled like kerosene. I don't need to absorb that into my skin.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:34 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Amen. Both the dems and the repubs made it cheaper and acceptable to ship all our jobs away.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:36 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
This is what NAFTA and the obscene trade agreements have done.
You must depise Clinton then. I would imagine thread after thread, railing against bubba must be very tiring. No?

Ross Perot was right, wasn't he?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:40 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
It's truly sad that it has come to this - all those jobs lost and look at our unemployment rate. Will we ever get those jobs back?

I search out made in America when I shop. It's just amazing how many products are imported to the USA

Old 10-25-2009, 10:15 PM

432 posts, read 605,002 times
it's really sad to read through all these posts...

and not see one poster mention the real reason why we don't make anything..

businesses (manufacturing/producers of tangible goods) , are not locating to the US, or are moving away from the US to build their products.

Why is this?

It's because America did it to herself.

The businesses leave b.c America told them that they were selfish pricks who didn't help anyone but their own bank accounts. Thus America taxed and regulated (stepped their foot inside someone else's house) businesses till the owners eventually gave up, and couldn't be raped any longer. They headed for more greener pastures overseas.

America just didn't know how good she had it, till she lost it.

Thank you Big Government for all you've done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies