Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 04:47 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

Sometime around midnight, on July 18, 1969 Kennedy drove his Oldsmobile 88 off of a small bridge on Chappaquiddick island, into eight feet of chilly water. The vehicle landed upside-down. While Kennedy managed to free himself from the wreck and swim to safety, his passenger, 28-year-old Mary Jo Kopechne was left in the car to drown.

40th anniversary of Mary Jo Kopechne’s drowning at Chappaquiddick...Kennedy's story still doubtful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 05:26 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
Kennedy would have been President if only he had been driving a Volkswagen.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:30 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
there are good and bad kennedy family members, and i think we know who at least one of the bad ones was. i am sure when he passes there will be praise to the high heavens for him, but one family will still be missing their daughter.

Last edited by floridasandy; 07-18-2009 at 05:41 AM..

Old 07-18-2009, 05:32 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,880 times
Liberals love the guy, but he should have rotted in prison for killing that woman. So we have a fat, brain dead alcoholic murderer writing our health care policy for us...yeah, thats going to work.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:36 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
The Interocitor: Teddy Kennedy's VW (http://www.interocitor.com/archives/000601.html - broken link)

"When a law suit was threatened by VW, National Lampoon ran the following retraction:
'Even if Ted Kennedy had driven a Volkswagen he wouldn't be president today.'"

Old 07-18-2009, 06:16 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,799 times

Old 07-18-2009, 07:28 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,448 times
Wikipedia has a page on the Chappaquiddick incident:

Chappaquiddick incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's unbelievable what he got away with....not only was he obviously drunk when he went off the bridge in the first place, he cared more about his political career, than he did about Mary Jo when it came to trying to save her life. After consulting with his buddies back at the party, he swam back to his hotel because the ferry wasn't running that late at night. He could swim back to the hotel but, he couldn't dive down and to try and save Mary Jo....remember, the car could be seen the next morning and was reported to police by a couple of fisherman so, it couldn't have been very deep. Here's a quote from the Wikipedia page about the diver that retrieved Mary Jo's body from the car and what he said at Kennedy's inquest:

The diver, John Farrar, later testified at the inquest that Kopechne's body was pressed up in the car in the spot where an air bubble would have formed. He interpreted this to mean that Kopechne had survived for a while after the initial accident in the air bubble, and concluded that, "Had I received a call within five to ten minutes of the accident occurring, and was able, as I was the following morning, to be at the victim's side within twenty-five minutes of receiving the call, in such event there is a strong possibility that she would have been alive on removal from the submerged car".

The inquest was conducted in secret at the request of Kennedy's lawyers....amazing!
What's even more amazing is that he was able to end up pleading guilty to a reduced charge of leaving the scene of an accident.

This is just my theory but, I think he was going to try and say that he let Mary Jo have his car after dropping him off at his hotel....that's why he called up the front desk to complain about the noise from the next room....to make it look like he was there all along and couldn't get to sleep because of the noise. Then his friends showed up that morning at the hotel to tell him that the fishermen had already found his car and called it in to the police.

He got away with serving serious prison time!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:32 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Wikipedia has a page on the Chappaquiddick incident:

Chappaquiddick incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's unbelievable what he got away with....

He got away with serving serious prison time!!!
Hey. His license was suspended.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:10 AM

646 posts, read 801,391 times
He should have never been able to look in the mirror again but you have to understand the Kennedy mindset.From this to Skakel killing Moxley with a golf club to John F.'s adultry.And the worst thing they could find on the Bush family was a d.u.i on W. and the media ate it up.As a matter fact I have a friend from Massachusetts who is a replublican and is ashamed that his home state keeps voting a murderer in office.Now his whole family is on a fast track to Tennessee because of how liberal the state is.Between Teddy boy and John Kerry who could blame them

Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
there are good and bad kennedy family members, and i think we know who at least one of the bad ones was. i am sure when he passes there will be praise to the high heavens for him, but one family will still be missing their daughter.
Mercifully her parents have passed on. Never seeing justice for the loss of their only child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies