Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:49 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times

Advertisements

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind if it was some gay men who was tasered but an older gentleman and a pregnant woman AT A CHURCH!!

Pam's House Blend:: It just won't stop: grandfather, pregnant woman tased at baptism in Virginia

I think some people may not care a lot since they were Latinos which to some people equates illegal immigrant.

Are police officers just using tasers as a way to take out their aggression on people?
Do you feel the officer was right in tasering the 55 year old man and a pregnant woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind if it was some gay men who was tasered but an older gentleman and a pregnant woman AT A CHURCH!!

Pam's House Blend:: It just won't stop: grandfather, pregnant woman tased at baptism in Virginia

I think some people may not care a lot since they were Latinos which to some people equates illegal immigrant.

Are police officers just using tasers as a way to take out their aggression on people?
Do you feel the officer was right in tasering the 55 year old man and a pregnant woman?
If they were agressive or refusing to comply with the orders of a police officer then the officer is right to use whatever force is necessary to bring about compliance and end resistance to his orders. That said, yes, sometimes to cops use the taser too much. There is no reason to use it on people already in handcuffs even if they verbally abusive. They are in custody and cannot resist.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
This is what happens when prejudice is allowed to florish and become the community norm.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Not enough information.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:54 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If they were agressive or refusing to comply with the orders of a police officer then the officer is right to use whatever force is necessary to bring about compliance and end resistance to his orders.
Actually, that isn't quite accurate. A cop is only authorized to utilize as much force as he is threatened with. If you say "screw off cop" he can't shoot you.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Did you even read the article you posted? They were not AT A CHURCH. They were in the grandfather's back yard (who is 55 - not exactly elderly). We have no idea what went on, why the police were even called to the house.

I agree - not enough info - and on top of it - PurpleLove posted outright erroneous info.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i watched the video, looks like the cops blew this one. the family made a good presentation for excessive use of force.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

Okay, first off let's get a couple things straight. This was NOT AT A CHURCH.

The incident happened at the home of the man in question. They were having a very loud party to celebrate the baptism of the two kids. The officers responded to a noise complaint, and made the homeowner aware of the noise ordinances he was breaking, and asked him to turn down the music.

He was highly intoxicated and refused MULTIPLE TIMES to turn down the music. The officers then asked him to show ID, and he again refused and became aggressive and uncooperative to the point that he was tasered. Apparently the pregnant woman then rushed towards the officers, and was tasered as well. And just FYI, she doesn't LOOK PREGNANT so it's not like an officer is going to hesitate and say "Hey ma'am, it looks like you're about to assault me. Are you pregnant? I just want to check before I taser you."

Please, check facts, actually READ THE STORY and figure out the facts before you go off on a hissy fit about a policeman doing something wrong. I don't know if they were right or wrong to taser those people, but I sure think there's evidence to put doubt on the righteousness of the party-goers.

Next time, try actually reading the article and watch the video instead of just skimming the inflammatory headline and jumping to conclusions from that.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:09 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
It looks like the police were called to the house because of the noise. The 55 year old grandfather was super drunk and refused to turn down the music after several requests by the police. And the pregnant woman is in custody and on immigration hold - sounds like Mother of the Year material to me.

Grandpa, Pregnant Mom Tasered at Baptism Party (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/072809_grandpa_pregnant_mom_tasered_at_party - broken link)

Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Did you even read the article you posted? They were not AT A CHURCH. They were in the grandfather's back yard (who is 55 - not exactly elderly). We have no idea what went on, why the police were even called to the house.

I agree - not enough info - and on top of it - PurpleLove posted outright erroneous info.
Did YOU read the article. The article said they were called there for a noise complaint. I guess it was a loud baptismal.

The cops are lucky to have walked out of there alive after tasering a pregnant woman.

We have another gang on the streets and they legally carry weapons. I know some very good police officers, but what we seem to have now are a lot of reports of stupid, ahole cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies